Question re: capture and recurring attention

RobertWall

Registered
New-ish to GTD (I've been familiar with it for half a decade or more, but just now trying to make it all happen).

Going on the core premise that there's no need to have the same thought twice, and that you should capture anything that has your attention....

What's the threshold for "has your attention"?

There's a relatively minor (less than $100) technology purchase that I've thought about and consciously rejected for a number of reasons. But every now and then my brain says "hey, wouldn't it be nice if we had a (the previously rejected technology item)".

It's not something I need, or even particularly want. There are better uses of the money it would cost.

Do I just let those thoughts drift in and drift back out, as long as they drift back out in a reasonable timeframe? Or do I capture and reconsider whenever I have the thought?

Gardener

Registered
I might have a "might wanna buy someday" list in the Someday/Maybe realm for this sort of thing. Maybe someday Aunt Laura will really really really want to buy you a present, and you know that otherwise you're going to get a chartreuse-and-pink cashmere sweater, so you send her a gift list containing that item. Or you have store credit for somewhere that has nothing else you want. Or something. It could be handy to have a list of stuff that you'd like to own, but that hasn't made the cut.

Or it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Cpu_Modern

Registered
Life is hard. It is very hard to get those things done, that are really, really important. What does it matter if you optimize around the edges?

Have a list, if it helps to reach your goal of having a mind like water. I have those lists, because that's exactly what they do for me. I fool myself and my mind stays clear.

In practice, I never look at those lists.

mcogilvie

Registered
If you put it on a someday/maybe list, either you might get tired of seeing it every weekly review, delete it and forget about it. Or you might decide to buy it someday. Or something. Capturing it is better than holding it in your head.

RobertWall

Registered
The Someday/Maybe list is MAGICAL for these sorts of things.

Do you subcategorize your Someday/Maybes? And how often do you review them?

I get a lot of various recommendations for things (apps, books, movies, TV shows, etc.) that I want to park somewhere, and having one huge list seems to be overwhelming when I go to review.

Gardener

Registered
If you put it on a someday/maybe list, either you might get tired of seeing it every weekly review, delete it and forget about it. Or you might decide to buy it someday. Or something. Capturing it is better than holding it in your head.

I agree on the capturing, but my "stuff I might wanna buy someday" list wouldn't get reviewed every week. I'm thinking every month or quarter.

thomasbk

Registered

I do subcategorize them. Some lists include:
  • Places to dine
  • Places to visit
  • Things to watch
  • Things to give
  • Things to buy
  • Things to do
  • Things to ask for
  • Things to read
Officially, I'll review them once a year. They're Someday/Maybe so I don't need to refer to them that often, but in practice, I do scan them whenever I add something. "Time to buy a birthday gift for someone? Let's see what ideas I've saved for them over the past year. Oh, just seeing someone else's name reminded me of something I saw that would be good for them. I'll add it now."

mcogilvie

Registered
I agree on the capturing, but my "stuff I might wanna buy someday" list wouldn't get reviewed every week. I'm thinking every month or quarter.

But if you review that infrequently, you miss all the good sales! Don’t you want to support the economy? Seriously, the GTD police don’t care how often I review lists of things to possibly buy. I don’t think most people even need to think about a review frequency for something like that. Just do it when you feel like it. On the other hand, I have heard that Santa does look at such lists, so having one now might be a good idea this time of year.

MichaelB212

Registered
I’ll sometimes place things like this a few weeks out on my calendar as a reminder to reconsider buying/committing to the thing. Kind of tickler file style. At the moment, I’m considering enrolling in a certification course with a high price tag and a year long commitment. I set a reminder on my calendar to consider it again in a month - see if I’m still truly invested rather than making an impulse purchase. This way it’s off my mind and I trust that I’ll review it in a few weeks time. Apps like Things 3 also handle these items beautifully via start/defer dates.

Oogiem

Registered
Going on the core premise that there's no need to have the same thought twice, and that you should capture anything that has your attention....

What's the threshold for "has your attention"?
Mine is very low. I will capture most anything at most anytime. One reason I have notepads and pens scattered around the house in every room and also carry one with me all the time. I capture at night if I wake up, in the bathroom, while out filling water tanks etc.

Do I just let those thoughts drift in and drift back out, as long as they drift back out in a reasonable timeframe? Or do I capture and reconsider whenever I have the thought?
I'd capture it and when I got around to processing it I'd add it to my someday/maybe list of computer things to buy. I review those lists at least quarterly. If I don't capture and process it I waste time thinking about it again and again. My brain can't turn off until it's slotted into my GTD system somewhere.

I get a lot of various recommendations for things (apps, books, movies, TV shows, etc.) that I want to park somewhere, and having one huge list seems to be overwhelming when I go to review.
Yes, I subdivide someday maybe into smaller lists. I used the method of a large list in a broad category until I had so much on it that I felt a need to subdivide it. Right now I have 63 separate someday/maybe lists. Some I review weekly, some I review quarterly and some I only review when I am ready for another one on that list.

For example, I have a list of knitting projects I want to do. I only work on one project at a time so until I'm finished with my current one I won't even bother to review the list. I will add to it but I won't really decide on anything in it until I get finished with my winter hat I am knitting.

As a rule though I make a point of reviewing every single some/day maybe list on my in-depth quarterly reviews that correspond to planning my next season of work. I've been successfully combining the 12 Week Year system of tracking progress with my existing seasonal focus because farm work is so seasonal. I do in-depth reviews at the solstices and the equinoxes. Tying them to the natural seasons both fits with my work but also grounds me.