Captcha to deal with the spam?

RS356

Registered
Hi! Seems like every other day I open up the forums and they are full of spam. Any thought to putting some sort of captcha somewhere to prevent this from occurring? It's a bad look for GTD :(

But, I have “Purchase embalming powder” on my projects list!

In seriousness, I agree, there does seem to be a lot of spam lately.

davidcoforum

Administrator
Staff member
We have several layers of anti-spam in place. It's only real humans who still find it worthwhile to go through the hoops. We delete the spam within hours. Sorry about the spam, but the alternative is to make it too difficult for legitimate new users to post.

David Parker

GTD Connect
Whilst I recognise the difficulty of dealing with spam on this forum, it is becoming more frequent and more offensive.

Many smaller forums require approval from a moderator before the ability to post is granted.

I do not accept that “only real humans who find it worthwhile to go through all the hoops” as some humans (or otherwise) are finding their way through increasingly often.

Such a control needs to balance the need for free access against people being put off using the forum because of spam.

ERJ1

Jedi Master
But, I have “Purchase embalming powder” on my projects list!

In seriousness, I agree, there does seem to be a lot of spam lately.
I really want to know WHO or WHAT that spam is meant for. What are people doing with embalming powder? Who needs extra embalming powder?

AndrewJMason

Registered
I really want to know WHO or WHAT that spam is meant for. What are people doing with embalming powder? Who needs extra embalming powder?

What is it? - "Embalming Powder."
Is it Actionable? - "I uh...I.....I guess?"
What's the next action? - ".........Good night, everybody!"

mcogilvie

Registered
Embalming fluid is a fixative and a carcinogen. It can be abused by people seeking to get high. This is incredibly stupid and dangerous behavior.

Geeko

GTD since 2017
Hi everybody.

Maybe another (additional) solution would be to get a few more moderators which are spread around the world. That way nobody can post spam at 1am PSD and be assured that it won’t be removed within several hours because all moderators are in bed.
I also like the idea to have reviews for the first posts of new members before they go online, but I would not set the number of reviewed posts to a fixed value. On the other hand reviewing new posts might give spammers a handle to bomb the forum with new posts and make it unattractive to new users. I don’t know if this really might be an issue but you should consider it as a possibility.
I hope you can reduce the amount of spam soon. If there’s a way how we can help, please let us know :)

Cheers,
Tristan

RobertAndrews

Registered
I'm looking into having new members' first three posts moderated, to discourage spammers. And the posts would need to be relevant and substantive.

Hi,
I'm curious - is this the reason my first post, made this morning, has not appeared?
My message count is 1, but the post content is not visible.
Thanks.