Horizons of responsability

Mapi

Registered
Hello everyone !

I'm new here. I'm, french, and my english is not very good, so sorry in advance...
I have a problem with the 6 horizons of responsability.
I really love the global concept, I think it's an important key to master his own life to know why we do what, and to verify our daily actions are coherent with big objectives we have in life.
But when I try to define my different horizons, I meet a few difficulties.
It's very easy for me to define the horizons 0 (actions), 1 (projects), 3 (goals), and 5 (life).
But the horizons 2 (areas of responsability) and 4 (visions) seems not naturals for me, and I can't really connect it with other horizons...

I searched many of informations about it for many time, but I didn't found more than little recaps of each horizon...
I need more explanations about this horizons 2 and 4, and lots of examples to be familiar with this concepts !

Thank you and good day,
Mapi.

mcogilvie

Registered
I usually refer to level 2 as areas of focus. These are the “hat” you wear. I have 3 broad areas that reflect my current responsibilities at work. At home, I have:

Personal
Fun, Family, Friends
Money
Home and Auto
Travel
Health

If Travel goes under fun for you, fine. If you don’t need it, fine.
Combine Health and Personal? Up to you!

Some people use job titles: I’m an accountant, father, son, husband, home owner, amateur musician.

I recently added Electronics at level 2, because I need to maintain and improve the home ecosystem. I used to keep computer-type stuff I needed to do for my wife separate from stuff for me because they seemed to be in different areas. But that was not helpful.

As I learned it, 3 and 4 are very similar, differing in time scale. Honestly, I don’t have a lot written down at levels 3, 4, and 5. Just enough to keep it all off my mind.

rtaylor913

Registered
What helped me see Horizon 2 most clearly was the section in David's book Ready for Anything. The key question for Horizon 2 is what do I need to maintain? If you can check it off as "done" it is a project action. For instance, I must maintain my health but there will never come a day where I can say it is complete.

Mapi

Registered
What helped me see Horizon 2 most clearly was the section in David's book Ready for Anything. The key question for Horizon 2 is what do I need to maintain? If you can check it off as "done" it is a project action. For instance, I must maintain my health but there will never come a day where I can say it is complete.
Yes but I don't undrstand how to connect this "hats" I have to maintain with bigger objectives or smaller projects, which can both check as "done" ?
All the projects can't be included in areas I have to maintain... And all the long-term objectives can't be declined in differents areas of responsability...

bcmyers2112

Registered
Yes but I don't undrstand how to connect this "hats" I have to maintain with bigger objectives or smaller projects, which can both check as "done" ?
All the projects can't be included in areas I have to maintain... And all the long-term objectives can't be declined in differents areas of responsability...

That's because all of the Horizons needn't be connected in a perfect hierarchy. Think of it this way: I'm a homeowner and if a toilet in my home breaks I'm going to want to fix it but I'm not going to worry about how it ties to my higher-level horizons. My life's purpose doesn't include fixing routine plumbing problems but if my toilet isn't working that's not going to stop me from resolving the problem.

Think of the higher-level horizons as checklists you review at various intervals to make sure you have the right mix of projects and actions to address everything from your various roles (i.e. areas of responsibility) all the way up to your life's purpose. You may decide upon review that there are no projects and actions needed at various levels. For instance, if you are physically fit, exercise regularly, and eat a healthy diet you may not need to do anything about your health at a given moment. You could consider it on cruise control for the time being. That's OK.

Don't worry about connecting everything. Just use the higher-level horizons to help you make sure you're on track.

Mapi

Registered
Ok I see. We don't have to connect each horizon with others, that's just kind of lines we want to follow.
And what are the recommended frequence to review different horizons ?

mcogilvie

Registered
Here's a PDF with some recommendations about frequency of review at every level:

But don't let that discourage you from reviewing any horizon more often if it would help you get clear.
I’m not sure I like the gtd 2.0 version. I think I like distinguishing things with 1-2 year horizons from 3-5 year horizon stuff. Then again I don’t have so much out there so I can hardly complain.

Steve_Dunn

Registered

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Mapi, thank you for posting a great question. I hope you got valuable answers, and I know that you inspired a good discussion.