Good reason to unhook from work

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
I just heard David Allen say, "Most of your good ideas about work, won't happen at work."

Your work will benefit from your good ideas if you unhook from work regularly. (And have a capture tool with you when those ideas show up.)

What are the times or places away from work that you find are conducive to good ideas?

thomasbk

Registered
No surprise, but sometimes when I sit in meditation, my mind suddenly unblocks, and the ideas begin to appear. Also, if I change tasks to something like cooking, then it's as if my mind can use background processing power to come up with new ideas.

Deirdre

Registered
In the car. I find my most wonderful ideas come when I am driving. Grateful for Alexa when I can simply say, "Alexa add this to my idea list." :)

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
For me, exercise and nature stimulate more ideas, including some good ones. I once had a miserable 4-mile jog home from work, miserable because I had a bunch of good ideas and no capture tool. Maybe it made me run faster so I could get the ideas out of my head.

TesTeq

Registered
For me, exercise and nature stimulate more ideas, including some good ones. I once had a miserable 4-mile jog home from work, miserable because I had a bunch of good ideas and no capture tool. Maybe it made me run faster so I could get the ideas out of my head.
If you have no capture tool it's time to use your creativity and create a story connecting all the ideas in one tale (or memory palace).

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
If you have no capture tool it's time to use your creativity and create a story connecting all the ideas in one tale (or memory palace).
That's exactly what I did, and it worked pretty well. And it should have been such a fun run. I was jogging on a lovely early evening past orange groves that were blossoming.