New recording: Optimizing Your System

Oogiem

Registered
I hadn't really planned on staying the full time but the content was engaging and useful so I did stick around. And in true GTD fashion, I was comfortable with that because I knew what I was not doing by taking the extra hour for the second half of the webinar.

That night I made a bunch of notes between 2:30am and 4:30 am (Always have a capture device handy) that have taken me quite a while to fully process. Many of the cryptic words turned into a bunch of projects related to system optimization in this unprecedented time. I tended to pick one and try to really process it even though it might take a lot longer than 2 minutes just to get it to the project/next action stage because that felt better that adding a bunch of Think about or Plan or Consider projects to my already full plate. So for me, taking the 5-10 or even 30 minutes to really process each note felt better and gave me a sense of being in control.

Friday is my normal weekly review day and I had managed to fully process my nighttime notes by the time I started my review. As I reviewed the projects I had created and the ones I was already working on I realized that I needed to modify both my contexts and my areas of focus to reflect changes since COVID-19. I played with some options but nothing really felt right and I ran out of time to work on the review. So I bagged the rest of the review. Saturday I spent a bit more time on it but no real resolution about the changes I know I needed to make so again I stopped. Last night I didn't make any notes at night but I woke up this morning with a clear mental map of what I need to do to change my system now to help me get through the next 6-9 months. So in between checking sheep (we are within legal lambing dates now and have some ewes with enormous udders) I will be slowly implementing the changes I came up with. First thing this am, after my early morning sheep check, was to quickly sketch the new structure and make a few notes. They will be used to guide my reorganization.

So even though it's taken several days, and is no yet complete, I feel the webinar sparked a major improvement of my overall GTD system.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
I hadn't really planned on staying the full time but the content was engaging and useful so I did stick around. And in true GTD fashion, I was comfortable with that because I knew what I was not doing by taking the extra hour for the second half of the webinar.

That night I made a bunch of notes between 2:30am and 4:30 am (Always have a capture device handy) that have taken me quite a while to fully process. Many of the cryptic words turned into a bunch of projects related to system optimization in this unprecedented time. I tended to pick one and try to really process it even though it might take a lot longer than 2 minutes just to get it to the project/next action stage because that felt better that adding a bunch of Think about or Plan or Consider projects to my already full plate. So for me, taking the 5-10 or even 30 minutes to really process each note felt better and gave me a sense of being in control.

Friday is my normal weekly review day and I had managed to fully process my nighttime notes by the time I started my review. As I reviewed the projects I had created and the ones I was already working on I realized that I needed to modify both my contexts and my areas of focus to reflect changes since COVID-19. I played with some options but nothing really felt right and I ran out of time to work on the review. So I bagged the rest of the review. Saturday I spent a bit more time on it but no real resolution about the changes I know I needed to make so again I stopped. Last night I didn't make any notes at night but I woke up this morning with a clear mental map of what I need to do to change my system now to help me get through the next 6-9 months. So in between checking sheep (we are within legal lambing dates now and have some ewes with enormous udders) I will be slowly implementing the changes I came up with. First thing this am, after my early morning sheep check, was to quickly sketch the new structure and make a few notes. They will be used to guide my reorganization.

So even though it's taken several days, and is no yet complete, I feel the webinar sparked a major improvement of my overall GTD system.
This is wonderful! Thanks for sharing - but I do worry about your sleep. Be careful - take time for rest.

Will Keeble

Registered
I found the recording of this webinar massively helpful. I've been struggling with GTD for quite a while -- I have the bones of the system in place, but a lot of the time I fail to keep it as up to date and complete as I should. Sitting down and listening gave me a few epiphanies. I'm in the midst of reworking my context lists, and properly capturing my higher horizons. I feel like I'm actually getting somewhere with it, which is nice.