Rules for constructing Purpose, Vision and Goals

Greyone

Registered
Having read the old and new editions of GTD in the past , I have never been aware of and rules for constructing them. Have i got this right that there are still no GTD specific guidance on doing so and it matters neither way if GTD Goals are SMART of not.

treelike

Registered
Having read the old and new editions of GTD in the past , I have never been aware of and rules for constructing them. Have i got this right that there are still no GTD specific guidance on doing so and it matters neither way if GTD Goals are SMART of not.
I think I'm of the opinion that if you have to use rules to construct your goals then they're probably not your goals. There's plenty of guidance in the gtd book(s) on goals, vision, purpose but no specific rules other than make sure you review these levels at appropriate intervals.

You don't even need to have goals, vision or purpose defined to use GTD but you still need to review these levels appropriately to make sure you're not missing something there that has your attention.

Greyone

Registered
I think I'm of the opinion that if you have to use rules to construct your goals then they're probably not your goals. There's plenty of guidance in the gtd book(s) on goals, vision, purpose but no specific rules other than make sure you review these levels at appropriate intervals.

You don't even need to have goals, vision or purpose defined to use GTD but you still need to review these levels appropriately to make sure you're not missing something there that has your attention.
Thx.

Some
Locke's Goal-Setting Theory
Setting Meaningful, Challenging Goals

people obsess about SMART goals because it gives them just that. A time frame and makes sure they are specific ext. I have also heard of
Locke's Goal-Setting Theory - Setting Meaningful, Challenging Goals. I know GTD does not prescribe any methodology but i was wondering how GTDers made ensured that what they cam up with was 'worthwhile' in the everyday sense. Some business people i have listened to recommend not setting a time frame and not even worrying if you forget or fail them because it was meant to be.

I am though wondering how GTDers get comfortable with the idea of and achieving their lifelong purpose, vision and goals if they are not SMART but seem ok in a woolly way. Doe anyone have any additional thoughts on this pls?

Cpu_Modern

Registered
A time frame and makes sure they are specific ext.
It is not clear what you men by "ext." here?

Locke's Goal-Setting Theory - Setting Meaningful, Challenging Goals.
Locke's work is about how to motivate your team in a professional setting. That is a whole different ball game than setting life goals for one self personally.

I am though wondering how GTDers get comfortable with the idea of and achieving their lifelong purpose, vision and goals if they are not SMART but seem ok in a woolly way.
SMART goals are trash. They can work on a very short-term level, e.g. "I want to do physical exercises three times this week." But even there, what if you managed to do sports four times this week? Have you lost the game, do you get some sort of a bonus now?

I don't think SMART goals are necessarily clear goals.

Greyone

Registered
when i said "A time frame and makes sure they are specific ext. " , ext should have been etcetera. I was just summarising two parts of SMART.
I know exactly what Locke was talking about for teams . His theory hold equally well for the individual - I wont waste time expanding on that.

You are wrong however. SMART goals are not trash. They can be good if you do not go overboard on the language.

Your example is not a good one. Your goal should not be "I want to do physical exercises three times this week" . That is just one way to achieve your goal , not the goal itself. But you have demonstrated vey well why I am asking the question here in GTD terms. Thank you

mcogilvie

Registered
GTD is not hierarchical, in the sense that goals drive projects which drive actions. It acknowledges that goals and projects often emerge from actions. It also emphasizes feedback and flexibility, so goals and projects may be modified as circumstances change. I would characterize the idea of SMART goals, which in one version means specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound, as belonging to an earlier era of “time management“, and often associated with Peter Drucker’s concept of management by objectives. This doesn’t mean you can’t incorporate the criteria into GTD if you like. I don’t find them useful in my personal life, but I can see that they might be useful in corporate management. However, some of the examples I have seen of personal SMART goals are just silly. For example, “I will invest 5% of my income and retire at age 50” is probably just wishful thinking. It’s not really attainable, but our capacity for self-delusion can combine with a conviction we are “following the rules” to produce poor outcomes. Purpose, vision and goals are highly individual, and I don‘t believe there is a specific method to determine or record them that works for everyone in all circumstances.

Greyone

Registered
HI - I think what you are starting to use too many words to try to explain a simple question in a complex manner. The bottom line is that GTD goals do not need to be SMART. There I will draw the line.

A big thank you to all the participants for joining in.