Project

Tombo

Registered
I have to refinish the laundry room it’s a project with multiple steps in GTD do I just list the next step? But at the same time I need to think about the project as a whole and flesh the whole thing out. Where or how does gtd come in to play within a large multi step project with potential Sub-projects?

mcogilvie

Registered
The first step is the Natural Planning Model. This will lead to Project Support Material, which might include notes, references, resources, shopping lists, et cetera. People who use powerful list tools like Omnifocus may seek to put a lot of this into their list tool, but other people do well with paper for everything. Some people put one big project on their project list, while others list the big subprojects. The project list is reviewed in the weekly review, which drives you to the support material. You make sure you have good next actions on your next action lists to drive the project forward. Although only real, doable next actions go on those lists, your support material may contain possible future actions. You want to be able to quickly react to changes. For example, you take the tile up in the laundry room, and find out you need to replace the subfloor too.

This may seem a bit non-prescriptive, but there Is tremendous variety in projects, and the people who do the projects use different tools and have different approaches and preferences. However, the Natural Planning Model accommodates them all.

Last edited:

Tombo

Registered
I’m impressed and thank you for your detailed response. I’ve tried I. The past but never have really been able to get gtd going. You seem like a seasoned practitioner kudos to you.

gtdstudente

Registered
The first step is the Natural Planning Model. This will lead to Project Support Material, which might include notes, references, resources, shopping lists, et cetera. People who use powerful list tools like Omnifocus may seek to put a lot of this into their list tool, but other people do well with paper for everything. Some people put one big project on their project list, while others list the big subprojects. The project list is reviewed in the weekly review, which drives you to the support material. You make sure you have good next actions on your next action lists to drive the project forward. Although only real, doable next actions go on those lists, your support material may contain possible future actions. You want to be able to quickly react to changes. For example, you take the tile up in the laundry room, and find out you need to replace the subfloor too.

This may seem a bit non-prescriptive, but there Is tremendous variety in projects, and the people who do the projects use different tools and have different approaches and preferences. However, the Natural Planning Model accommodates them all.
mcogilvie, What a great synopsis from Project to the Natural Planning Model to Support Materials to Sub-Projects to Next Actions along with the Weekly Review. Spot On . . . thank you