What should I do when review 'Areas of focus'

assdfd513213

Registered
After making 'Areas of focus' like this image what should I do?
Is it done by creating a mind map?
When review it do I just have to update?

Last edited:

Logan

Registered
Hi,

based on what I understood from your post this is what I can come up with:

How to set up areas of focus?
This really depends upon you. I‘ve created a plain list in a list manager I use. Some others create it on paper. Some create a mind map.
Just make sure it attracts you and you don‘t just create it and forget it.

Reviewing areas of focus
Regarding this I do mainly two things:
1. Check if it is still complete: Which usually makes me adding something to the list. But, if you notice you have too much on your plate it is a good idea to e.g. discuss with your boss if a certain area could be handled by somebody else. Then you could eliminate that from your list.
2. Derive topics of lower and higher horizons from it: Basically, you ask yourself if there is a new project or next action to be derived from it. In the upwards way, it may be there needs to be a new goal/objective or vision derived from that.

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast

If you have seen the "incompletion trigger list" in the book, that's a good example of the function that your areas of focus can serve.

Eventually, as you flesh them out, you can even replace the trigger lists in the book with your AoF lists.
So as you review them they can trigger projects, next actions, even higher horizon goals or vision.

I do a more formal review of AoF for completeness & clean up of now irrelevant data about every 3 months. But I'll pull them out ad hoc all the time just to jog ideas or to help with a mind sweep.

Oogiem

Registered
I keep my Areas of Focus as a hierarchical outline of major areas and then within that roles. so my 2020 AOFs are:

Family and Friends
Health and Fitness
Sheep Flock & Farm Management
LambTracker/AnimalTrakker Programmer
Archivist
Household Management
Personal Growth and Development
Community Involvement
World Traveler

and within the Archivist AOF I have several roles, Family Archivist where I do projects like my scrapbooks, genealogy and my huge photo scanning and cataloging project for all the print, slide, negative and digital images in my family. Another role is North Fork Historical Society Archive where I have projects like scaning the collection of women's Club scrapbooks fromt eh early 1900s and the project to scan and catalog our collection of 1500 glass plate negatives. Other things that arein Someday/Maybe include scanning the old prints we have and a full inventory of the museum's collections which has never been done.

I review my AOFs quartery by at least reading them and then do a major rethink annually. I keep them in a DEVONThink note as just text files but I do use indentation to show the hierarchy and color so I can find sections easily so they are not plain text but rich text. I tried mind maping but I donto think graphically and I found all mind map SW I've tried to be frustrating and I went back to simple outline type files.

assdfd513213

Registered
I keep my Areas of Focus as a hierarchical outline of major areas and then within that roles. so my 2020 AOFs are:

Family and Friends
Health and Fitness
Sheep Flock & Farm Management
LambTracker/AnimalTrakker Programmer
Archivist
Household Management
Personal Growth and Development
Community Involvement
World Traveler

and within the Archivist AOF I have several roles, Family Archivist where I do projects like my scrapbooks, genealogy and my huge photo scanning and cataloging project for all the print, slide, negative and digital images in my family. Another role is North Fork Historical Society Archive where I have projects like scaning the collection of women's Club scrapbooks fromt eh early 1900s and the project to scan and catalog our collection of 1500 glass plate negatives. Other things that arein Someday/Maybe include scanning the old prints we have and a full inventory of the museum's collections which has never been done.

I review my AOFs quartery by at least reading them and then do a major rethink annually. I keep them in a DEVONThink note as just text files but I do use indentation to show the hierarchy and color so I can find sections easily so they are not plain text but rich text. I tried mind maping but I donto think graphically and I found all mind map SW I've tried to be frustrating and I went back to simple outline type files.

Thank you
What do you think purpose of 'Areas of focus'?

I think
- rethinking roles,intrestes,responsiblites that is too much or not
- Checking responsiblites that I'm missing