How do you handle Read/review list?

assdfd513213

Registered
If you clip website's article to Evernote. Do you make task in list manager's read/review list? then move article to action support folder?
or just making read/review folder in Evernote?
Isn't it confuse to make two read/review list from list manager and Evernote?

Humberto Pérez

Registered
When clarifying an article I saved to Evernote, if it must be read, it will go to my support folder and I will create the next action into my next action list in the right context with a link to the note. On the contrary, if something must not be read, it goes into my read/review section in my Someday/Maybe list. When I want to read/review something I look it up in that list and read it.

You can also block some time once a week to read/review a few ( 1 o more) saved article. This can be done too by using a checklist.

mcogilvie

Registered
I have looked at it several times over the years. It would not be useful to me without the premium version which seems pricey to me. I have also come to see it as an extra inbox which is often an extra, intermediate stop for information. But by all means try it.

Marcus Ramtohul

GTD® Level 1 trainer
Yes, I have been using Pocket for a couple of years now and really LOVE it. I use it for all online content that I would like to read / watch and it works as a charm.
It looks super useful - gonna experiment with it this week and see how I get on

Marcus Ramtohul

GTD® Level 1 trainer
I have looked at it several times over the years. It would not be useful to me without the premium version which seems pricey to me. I have also come to see it as an extra inbox which is often an extra, intermediate stop for information. But by all means try it.
I AM afraid of it becoming an extra inbox... I used to have a Read/Review folder in Outlook - but it basically became an article graveyard. I am having much greater joy using 2 separate Next Actions list for this material - Computer - To Read and Computer - To Watch.
What exactly is the difference between the premium version and the free one? I couldn't tell at a glance but it doe worry me...

K-S

GTD Connect
The premium version gives you a full library, more functionalities and automated tagging. I was tempted to go for this but always stayed on the free version. Did not keep me from reading above 2 M words / year (30 books plus).
Understand your concern with the extra inbox and by all means stick to what works well for you. For me it is not really an extra inbox as to all articles that are in there I have already said "yes, I want to read them". Do I read all of them? Nope, for some I reconsider this decision and delete them at a later point.

Marcus Ramtohul

GTD® Level 1 trainer
That’s a great shout RE: not committing to ready everything. So far so good for me to have somewhere to dip and out of. And quick and easy to capture what I want to read later.

Xavier BOEMARE

Registered
If you clip website's article to Evernote. Do you make task in list manager's read/review list? then move article to action support folder?
or just making read/review folder in Evernote?
Isn't it confuse to make two read/review list from list manager and Evernote?
Hi,

Personally, I tried the "one fits all" strategy at some point and finally gave up. I now have a recurrent next actions in my GTD saying "Read something new today" with the link to the few places I have some stuff to read : my list manager, My reading list in Safari, and InstantPaper. I pick randomly.

Regards,

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast
There's a section in the GTD book where David writes about "using the item as the reminder" - this is basically my approach to reading material, unless it is time sensitive in which case I may use an additional list or calendar item as a reminder.

Physical - journal articles, printouts, etc.
  • I have a folder that I carry around in my bag/padfolio where I will put a handful of items for on-the-go reading
  • I also have a tray on my desk where I'll park stuff I want to read "eventually"
  • the tray feeds the folder as I empty it.
Digital
  • I use Instapaper to save articles for reading from the web; it serves the same function as the folder above
  • I use the "watch later" list on youtube for this same function
  • Anything time-sensitive gets a task with a link and a due date, generally on @computer; or onto the calendar.
    • If its actually a physical reading item, I will just leave breadcrumbs to remind me where the item is, example:
      • Read article on new COVID vaccine *folder
I have also found a lot of my reading material is covered by the 2-minute rule.

Marcus Ramtohul

GTD® Level 1 trainer
There's a section in the GTD book where David writes about "using the item as the reminder" - this is basically my approach to reading material, unless it is time sensitive in which case I may use an additional list or calendar item as a reminder.

Physical - journal articles, printouts, etc.
  • I have a folder that I carry around in my bag/padfolio where I will put a handful of items for on-the-go reading
  • I also have a tray on my desk where I'll park stuff I want to read "eventually"
  • the tray feeds the folder as I empty it.
Digital
  • I use Instapaper to save articles for reading from the web; it serves the same function as the folder above
  • I use the "watch later" list on youtube for this same function
  • Anything time-sensitive gets a task with a link and a due date, generally on @computer; or onto the calendar.
    • If its actually a physical reading item, I will just leave breadcrumbs to remind me where the item is, example:
      • Read article on new COVID vaccine *folder
I have also found a lot of my reading material is covered by the 2-minute rule.
I also have a physical tray of "to read eventually" in my home

I just never engage with the Watch Later function of YouTube - where as a next actions list of "@computer - to watch" is more in my face and more likely for me to use - it also holds videos that aren't on YouTube

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast
I also have a physical tray of "to read eventually" in my home

I just never engage with the Watch Later function of YouTube - where as a next actions list of "@computer - to watch" is more in my face and more likely for me to use - it also holds videos that aren't on YouTube
I have done the "to watch" list also... I eventually realized if it's something I absolutely have to watch, it generally is long or urgent enough to land on my calendar. Otherwise, it's just a list I browse during downtime. I will mix in the occasional "Watch this video" item on my @computer list if it's a non-youtube thing.

I also have a few additional "to watch" playlists on youtube for professional vs. personal etc.

It's also how I store my reference library of videos - I found the native playlist function in youtube to be the best way to store this type of material out of all the tools I've tried.