Jukka Backman on the Value of Writing Things Down

davidcoforum

Administrator
Staff member
Jukka Backman is a GTD trainer and coach, as well as the managing director for GTD in Finland. In this recording, he shares about the multifaceted value of writing things down. Jukka says, "There is definite power in writing things down. When externalized (from the mind) our perception of the things that took our attention, changes." He talks about the specifics of how to use a worry list, how to start or refine your use of the Mind Sweep, harnessing the power of your self-talk, and his use of the Intention Journal.

Video

Audio

thomasbk

Registered
GTD understandably first became popular for corporate productivity, but long-time practitioners know its real power is as a whole life management system. Thanks @JukkaBackman for reminding us of the benefits of including your worries, gratitude, and intentions in your system.

sholden

Registered
I really liked the idea of a worry list. I have a version of that but it much more a dynamic part of my dialy journaling.

I think the regular mind sweeps (morning, end of work day, and before bed) might be useful. But did I understand that these are not always processed? I might have missed that part when I was listening in my car.

I use Google Keep like an Intention Journal. Especially with quotes that I like. I set them up about for a yearly reminder. I got one this morning from Teddy Roosevelt that I like ...

cfoley

Registered
My impression was that adding something to the worry list was a decision not to be taken lightly. I assumed that things ended up on there as a result of capturing and clarifying them.

thomasbk

Registered
My impression was that adding something to the worry list was a decision not to be taken lightly. I assumed that things ended up on there as a result of capturing and clarifying them.
I think clarifying could be done. But I also believe there's power in simply adding a worry to the list as a step in easing your mind. Maybe you're ready to decide what the next action is, even if it's something vague sounding like "accept" or "make peace with." But sometimes, just acknowledging that you're worried about something can be enough.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
. . . . even if it's something vague sounding like "accept" or "make peace with." But sometimes, just acknowledging that you're worried about something can be enough.
Yes indeed. In my experience, accepting is a highly practical first step. If I won't acknowledge current reality, it's hard to change it.

cfoley

Registered
I think clarifying could be done. But I also believe there's power in simply adding a worry to the list as a step in easing your mind.

I think we are on the same page here. I was envisioning a scenario where something worrying had ended up being captured. Then when processing the inbox, the clarifying step revealed that it should be placed on the worry list.