The Tools We Use

ibmkahm

Registered
More progress — we've migrated all but one of our team, and we'll migrate her by early next week. I learned enough (read that as: made lots of mistakes) on my own migration so that the others have gone smoothly.

Hi John,

any updates to "Eric and I still plan to record one or more podcasts" ?
I would really like to hear some more details about the move to M365

Dmitry Kultaev

Registered
For fun I just looked at some Russell and Hazel binders. GTD coach Julie Ireland uses one of their binders for her next actions and projects lists. I used a binder for many years. Not Russell and Hazel, but Time/Design. Switched to digital when the Palm Pilot showed up. I switched from Palm Desktop to Lotus Notes in 1998, when I went to work for Actioneer. If I had better handwriting I would consider paper and a binder again.
Dear John,

I wonder if someone still holds examples & layouts of Time/Design notebooks from pre-digital GTD era? Would be interesting to see. Or is it correct to day that GTD Paper Organizer PDF set mirrors it pretty well?

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Dear John,

I wonder if someone still holds examples & layouts of Time/Design notebooks from pre-digital GTD era? Would be interesting to see. Or is it correct to day that GTD Paper Organizer PDF set mirrors it pretty well?
Hi Dmitry, you can see some images on the Time/system site. In my opinion the images don't quite do justice to what I recall of the Time/Design pages.

The GTD Organizer has the parts, and even has them in a more refined state, in that it contains a set of suggested next actions lists by context. The feature that Time/Design had that the GTD Organizer doesn't try to replicate is the fold-out of the projects list. Time/Design, at least according to my recollection, had a projects list that folded out to the left. That meant that you could have three pages in view, from left to right: projects, next actions, and calendar on the right.

Anyone who used a Time/Design please feel free to correct my description.

Josh Mitchell

Registered
Dear John,

Yes if anyone has scans or photos of some of the layouts and details, I'd enjoy taking a look as well!

Specifically, the fold out John mentioned... that sounds awesome!

I was tempted to purchase a Time/Design for 2022 but then realized my current digital system is working really well for me...

It's about the thinking!!

Yet, I kind of love the simplicity of the Time/Design system.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Good news. The Time/system site is back up and has at least one photo. It shows the daily calendar on the right, an actions list to the left, and a monthly or annual calendar in two more pages to the left.

https://www.timesystem.us/Day_Planner_System_s/2.htm

My recollection is that you could also have the projects list fold out to the left, with actions in the middle and today's calendar on the right.

So the site is somewhat alive, but when I tried to get to a purchase page it says "product no longer exists."

chrisstribbs

Registered
Hi
I use :
One Google Calendar for all commitments. I then use O365 for meetings for 2 freelance accounts and one contract might ask for another.
365 for email and personal Gmail
My lists are Mind View mind maps.
Files are stored on One Drive and Google Drive, ease of backup and for those occasions when I use my laptop over desktop.

FocusGuy

Registered
since 2021 I evoluated

List Manager: Omnifocus. GTD projects, contextes, perspective and bird eye of my core engagement using Heisenhower and perspectives
Calendar: Google Calendar is the engine, but I use apple calendar synced on Mac and iPhone.
Email: Google gmail and Apple Mail.
Digital Reference: Google drive, icloud for projects references. I am leaving evernote.
Mobile Devices: Still iPhone XR

Analog
Rhodia goalbook it contains notes about projects and a Daily log for seeing what happened day by day and notes.

Last edited:

Hansnw

GTD|Connect
  • List Manager: Todoist (again after a long stretch with Omnifocus.I was already simplifying my OF setup, but have the idea that Todoist forces me to simplify a bit. Also the recurring costs are in favour of todoist)
  • Calendar: Outlook (work) - iCal (personal)
  • Email: Outlook - icloud
  • Digital Reference: OneNote (work) - Apple Notes (personal)
  • Mobile Devices: Iphone (one for work, one personal I like having the option to switch of)