Todoist Setup Guide from GTD shop is out of date

mkkalb

Registered
Hello!

I bought the Todoist setup guide in hopes of finally, finally implementing GTD in a thorough, organized fashion.

I hit a problem immediately-- the guide says to set up ten projects. That might have been possible when the guide was written (in 2014!) but in 2021, the free version limits you to five projects. I'm a little frustrated that a doc they're charging money for isn't up to date.

Besides paying for a subscription, has anyone successfully set up and implemented GTD using the free version?

Thanks,

Margaret

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
Hi there. the Todoist Guide is in the process of being updated, given the major change Todoist made to the free version.

I recommend the paid versions for the most flexibility and elegance as a GTD system, but you can make the free version work. You'd want to use the Projects area for these 4 main lists: Projects, Next Actions, Waiting For, and Someday/Maybe and then use Labels for the GTD contexts on those Next Actions.

Last edited:

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Hello!

I bought the Todoist setup guide in hopes of finally, finally implementing GTD in a thorough, organized fashion.

I hit a problem immediately-- the guide says to set up ten projects. That might have been possible when the guide was written (in 2014!) but in 2021, the free version limits you to five projects. I'm a little frustrated that a doc they're charging money for isn't up to date.

Besides paying for a subscription, has anyone successfully set up and implemented GTD using the free version?

Thanks,

Margaret
Hi Margaret,

I'm sorry about this. We are working on an updated guide, but it's still at least a few weeks away.

To put some action on my apology, I have refunded your purchase. I have also added text to the GTD Shop listing that says the guide as written will apply to the paid Todoist.

mkkalb

Registered
Hi Margaret,

I'm sorry about this. We are working on an updated guide, but it's still at least a few weeks away.

To put some action on my apology, I have refunded your purchase. I have also added text to the GTD Shop listing that says the guide as written will apply to the paid Todoist.
Oh wow, that's very good of you. Thank you.

I think I will fiddle with the free version for a few weeks, and if I think it's something I can make viable long term, I will probably sign up for the paid version. I have no issue paying for good, usable software, I just don't want to subscribe to something that will collect digital dust lol.

John Forrister

GTD Connect
Staff member
Oh wow, that's very good of you. Thank you.

I think I will fiddle with the free version for a few weeks, and if I think it's something I can make viable long term, I will probably sign up for the paid version. I have no issue paying for good, usable software, I just don't want to subscribe to something that will collect digital dust lol.
Kelly and I like to be dust-free as well, digital and otherwise. We want you to be happy with your GTD system.

RS356

Registered
Regarding the free version, can you set up 5 projects, and then subdivide each by section as needed? For example, your Actions project could contain sections for @calls, @computer, home, etc. This could be a workaround while testing whether Todoist is right for you.

Jon Lee

Registered
Yes I noticed the same when I purchased as well. I also found a GTD blog post on the ToDoist website which is ki da helping me with getting started until the book arrives. Excited to try this way of productivity!

mcogilvie

Registered
Regarding the free version, can you set up 5 projects, and then subdivide each by section as needed? For example, your Actions project could contain sections for @calls, @computer, home, etc. This could be a workaround while testing whether Todoist is right for you.
Yes. I actually set up about ten Todoist projects as Areas of Focus, and subdivided as projects and single actions. Moreover, you can subscribe, set up many projects, and keep them if you unsubscribe. I’m not using Todoist, but it is a defensible choice.

Jon Lee

Registered
Hi there. the Todoist Guide is in the process of being updated, given the major change Todoist made to the free version.

I recommend the paid versions for the most flexibility and elegance as a GTD system, but you can make the free version work. You'd want to use the Projects area for these 4 main lists: Projects, Next Actions, Waiting For, and Someday/Maybe and then use Labels for the GTD contexts on those Next Actions.
What labels would you recommend using for these? I currently have Waiting for and Next as labels... I too am on free version. I use Projects, One Off Tasks, Someday/ Maybe.

jwsamuel

Registered

That is almost how I use Todoist with GTD. I have four projects that indicate when a next action needs completion (10 Days, 11-30 days, 31-60 days, and Later On). I use labels for contexts. This setup lets me easily see what is due in a specific period of time, or what I have to do by context, regardless of the date.

Jim

jwsamuel

Registered
@jwsamuel Do you manually move these time-based Next Actions between your time-based Projects (10 Days <-- 11-30 days <-- 31-60 days <-- and Later On)?
Yes, I do. I manually move them during my weekly review. That gives me the opportunity to decide if they really do need to be moved that week or if they can site where they are for another week. In Todoist, it is just a simple drag and drop.