Artificial deadlines for projects

Cpu_Modern

Registered
You've probably heard it say "a goal without a deadline is only a pipe dream" or some variation thereof.

David Allen stands in contrast to that, advising to not add artificial deadlines to projects.

I find that sometimes a project's outcome description gains more clarity by giving it a deadline. The scope of the work becomes more apparent.

How do you handle this? Do you have projects with artificial deadlines?

RS356

Registered
I see a difference between establishing timeframes for goals, milestones, and projects and David’s advice against arbitrary deadlines. My approach to this has evolved over many years, but I see David’s position as contrasting with traditional time management practices - wherein everything to do gets a due date and a slot on the calendar. Rather, it’s important to remain flexible, ensuring that you don’t break commitments to yourself and others when the unexpected arises.

Some projects absolutely need timeframes for clarity and execution. I personally feel more focused and less likely to procrastinate when the important things are time bound; but I use these only when they are necessary or helpful to move a project forward. Many of us are in professions that are driven by deadlines - lawyers, accountants, professors, construction managers, farmers - and use GTD quite successfully.

mcogilvie

Registered
I see a difference between establishing timeframes for goals, milestones, and projects and David’s advice against arbitrary deadlines. My approach to this has evolved over many years, but I see David’s position as contrasting with traditional time management practices - wherein everything to do gets a due date and a slot on the calendar. Rather, it’s important to remain flexible, ensuring that you don’t break commitments to yourself and others when the unexpected arises.

Some projects absolutely need timeframes for clarity and execution. I personally feel more focused and less likely to procrastinate when the important things are time bound; but I use these only when they are necessary or helpful to move a project forward. Many of us are in professions that are driven by deadlines - lawyers, accountants, professors, construction managers, farmers - and use GTD quite successfully.

I have been using question marks more and more to indicate status checks. Suppose I have a plan to finish drafts for 9 book chapters over 16 weeks. I set a series of ticklers that ask “Finished draft Chapter 8?” And so on. My brain knows this is not a deadline, but an inquiry from my past self. I can take any appropriate action based on my current knowledge. If current reality is not consistent with past hopes, I can re-negotiate the agreement with myself.

Last edited:

RS356

Registered
I have been using question marks more and more to indicate status checks. Suppose I have a plan to finish drafts for 9 book chapters over 16 weeks. I set a series of ticklers that ask “Finished draft Chapter 8?” And so on. My brain knows this is not a deadline, but an inquiry from my past self. I can take any appropriate action based on my current knowledge. If current reality is not consistent with past hopes, I can re-negotiate the agreement with myself.
I really like this subtle difference between a deadline and tickler. I'm going to experiment with this.