Desperately needing Clarity and Progress, but afraid GTD might overcomplicate Things

Gardener

Registered
If you find yourself unable to totally delete those 2400 tasks, you could make yourself a project, "Process task backlog." If this project were mine, I'd create a weekly repeating task, "Process 50 tasks from backlog."

Every week, I'd look through the list and process items (delete, move to Someday/Maybe, VERY rarely create a project) until the total count was reduced by 50. The list will be empty in a 48 weeks, or roughly a year.

I would NOT force myself to go through from the top. By picking and choosing what to process, I'd go from the easiest kills to the most puzzling, reaching the most puzzling after nearly a year's experience with GTD.

dtj

Registered
If you find yourself unable to totally delete those 2400 tasks, you could make yourself a project, "Process task backlog." If this project were mine, I'd create a weekly repeating task, "Process 50 tasks from backlog."

Every week, I'd look through the list and process items (delete, move to Someday/Maybe, VERY rarely create a project) until the total count was reduced by 50. The list will be empty in a 48 weeks, or roughly a year.

I would NOT force myself to go through from the top. By picking and choosing what to process, I'd go from the easiest kills to the most puzzling, reaching the most puzzling after nearly a year's experience with GTD.
In my purges, i've never had a ruthless deletion come back to bite me in the butt. I have, however, had regret that I didn't delete it earlier. I'm guessing that with 2400, there are some big themes and susceptible to clustering analysis. Like searching for "investigate" or "exercise", and focus on those to quickly knock them off the list, or tag them appropriately. Either through names or through some of the internal data. For instance I had a tendency to clip things for "Home:To Buy" when I ran across useful stuff. Searching for "amazon" in URLs yielded a good sized group to nuke or tag.
Maybe put all 2400 in "Someday/Maybe" and go through them, opting-in, rather than assuming they a valuable, and having to prove otherwise.

FocusGuy

Registered
If you have 2400 items it is almost impossible to choose. What i would do would be to erase the file and start from Scratch. that's what we do when you make an easy sotware it is faster

you can also keep it and declare a backlog, read 500 items per day very fast and see if there is something to report On your active list

but sure there will be nothing really core...
better is making a new one from scratch and be carefull to put nothing but what is actionable

Gardener

Registered
In my purges, i've never had a ruthless deletion come back to bite me in the butt. I have, however, had regret that I didn't delete it earlier. I'm guessing that with 2400, there are some big themes and susceptible to clustering analysis. Like searching for "investigate" or "exercise", and focus on those to quickly knock them off the list, or tag them appropriately. Either through names or through some of the internal data. For instance I had a tendency to clip things for "Home:To Buy" when I ran across useful stuff. Searching for "amazon" in URLs yielded a good sized group to nuke or tag.
Maybe put all 2400 in "Someday/Maybe" and go through them, opting-in, rather than assuming they a valuable, and having to prove otherwise.

Oh, I absolutely agree that deleting all 2400 would probably be the best thing. My advice is for the situation if the poster finds that he just can't bring himself to do that.

If so, then I wouldn't even put them in Someday/Maybe--that would, IMO, be giving them too much value. I would keep them as a separate list and require that they justify themselves before they qualify for even a space in Someday/Maybe.

I've explained this before, but it applies in this case. When my desk gets very cluttered and overwhelming, I sweep all the contents that aren't nailed down, into a big tote and set it in the laundry room. I then reintroduce items as I need them. It's surprising how many totally imperative things are sitting in the tote two weeks later, or located more strategically nearby. And for a short period of time, my desk was empty and sparkling, and that gave me momentum in life.
This is actually a really nice practice.
I might steal it. Thanks for the idea!

Oh, I absolutely agree that deleting all 2400 would probably be the best thing. My advice is for the situation if the poster finds that he just can't bring himself to do that.
As I said, probably around 3/4 - most likely more - of these tasks and Reminders are either out of Date, have been done and checked off for months already and just still lay there, or are super unimportant. I haven't looked at the task list for weeks now and nothing blew up.
I believe deleting it all will bring a fresh wind.

gtdstudente

Registered
First of all, sorry for the long post - but I'm desperately looking for advice, and I need to vent a little and explain my situation fully. I tried to format the important bits, hopefully it helps.

I'm currently in the situation where I need to and want to use my time productively. I'm deeply unhappy with my life, especially with my career, and want to/need to make drastic changes in multiple areas. Probably not all at once, I know that - but the problem is that I'm not seeing any form of results or momentum going on, for months and years.

End of last year I quit my miserable job and took on a completely new one that is going to start in a couple of months from now. I lived off of my savings until now (and can continue to do so until the job starts), and did that so I have enough time to focus on my commitments and get my life under control. Problem is, I figured that it's not only the lack of time that keeps me from making progress, but also a lack of clarity. I kept working on ultimately meaningless things and haven't made real steps towards my goals in all those months, which is really depressing.

My question and concern:
I believe GTD and a real productivity system might be able to bring me towards actually making meaningful progress and closing a lot of my commitments and bringing back control into my hands.
My fear, though, is that it's another thing I add to the pile of things I have to do before I start making actual progress towards my goals, and that it overcomplicates things. Multiple people say it takes months and up to two years and longer to get fully functional with GTD. Can I afford to have a complicated system like GTD on my hands while trying to turn my life around, a system I am not comfortable with and probably often times don't know how to handle incoming things that adds extra time every week that I need to use to maintain the system?

My fear is that I won't be able to maintain the "Getting used to GTD"-Project with everything else I am stuck under.
That it's the shovel that's supposed to dig me free, but it just get's layed ontop of the mountain of rubble, adding to the weight.
That I am adapting the system and using in for a few weeks until I get derailed with it and chaos ensues, leaving me again without a functioning system, the guilt that it's not working, the stress that I have to get it to work again, and still the undone work and commitments that I had from before.

I have tried to implement Productivity Systems in the past, never GTD though. I ended up tossing them all aside fully (- even the parts that were still intact and "good" out of frustration or a desire to "reset" -) after a few months of use eventually after something blew up or the scale of my commitments and lists and projects just seemed to explode because of unending "capturing", where I then went on to "simplify" and ignore 90% of my Tasks.
I still have a excel sheet with a task list (sorted by category) around on my computer which I started years ago and used on-off till a few months ago.
Currently there are still over 2.400 unprocessed, uncategorized tasks on that list. I assume that at least 75% of those are either finished and shouldn't be there, super-unimportant and therefore deletable or just plainly not on my horizons/interest anymore.
You see that overcommitment, fear of missing something and perfectionism are deep problems of mine.

---
Currently, my Plan is to setup and work with Scott H. Young's System of "weekly/daily goals" while slowly adding and learning little aspects of GTD, each after another in isolation, until I eventually have something that looks like GTD, gives me most of the benefits and works for me.
"Weekly/daily goals" looks easy enough to implement without any hassle and might finally allow me to focus on things that actually move me towards actual outcomes and results, which hopefully fuel momentum and motivation, no matter if a lot of things fall through the cracks because of the simplicity of the system - it's not like that hasn't happened for the past few years anyway.

What do you think of that approach?
What would you do in my spot?
Do you believe my fears of adapting GTD and sinking down even deeper are justified?

Any advice, any help, any words of encouragement are all gladly appreciated. I'm really stuck, and I could really use all of those. I'm grateful for everybody that is willing to read through my ramblings.

Thanks in Advance, and dearest of wishes to all of you.
~Erik
Erik,

Have given some thought to your plight and believe I 'get it'.

There are many good suggestions in this post that have much merit from going 'bankrupt' to go through each and every task.

The following would be my approach to Categorizing 2,400 Projects/Task to can become operational as soon as possible.

When you express "Categorize," in my GTD system that means "Organize"

When I think GTD Organize, GTD Organize means my four Areas-of-Focus/Purposes: Intrinsic Divine, Health, Extrinsic Fiscal, and Utility/Tools.

Thus, to conserve brain energy and avoid decision fatigue, I would divide the 2,400 Projects/Task into those four Areas-of-Focus with Four Inboxes and/or Four Digital Files, Four Bookcases.

For me Health [Health means/is valued as 'Vigor/Vitality' it either is or it isn't for identifying potential Projects] is the biggest most general Organized category since it would included my own, lets say, Medical Records, Credential/Vital Records [Birth Certificates, Social Security Card, Passport, Degrees, Resume, ect.], as well as all Relationships (Protagonists and Antagonists), Leisure, Work (you did express leaving a miserable job), Hobbies, Recreation, Travel, ect.

Second might be Utility/Tools [Utility/Tools means/are valued as 'Frictionless-Reliability,' thus Utility/Tools either are or aren't for identifying potential Projects] since, in my world, that would include all that pertains to House, Appliances, Computer, Garage, Car, etc.

With my Four Inboxes and/or Four Digital Files, Four Bookcases. I would then go though the Smallest one First and would now at least be able to only one "Areas-of-Focus/Purpose" in mind and not concern myself with Horizons since Life events will take care of the Horizons. Further, I would deem EVERYTHING is on the "Someday/Maybe" List until it has a Next Context Action.

If I got stuck on Anything, that in it self would inform met that this 'Item' is a Project and not a Next Action . . . and thus, have my Plain-Copy Paper [Landscape] readily available and Mind-Map from Outcome [Right Upper-Corner], current 'Position' and Next Action(s) [Lowest Left-Corner]. That Project would be Listed as a Project on the particular Area-of-Focus Project List that I would be operating from and the Mind-Map Placed in the Project Support File for that particular Areas-of-Focus/Purpose for the Weekly Review.

Also, to avoid getting stuck, to avoid 'Perfectionism' I think in terms of Accuracy.

Well, Erik, that's what I GTD gut, Organization is my ultimate GTD 'guardrail.' Any/all clarifications are welcomed.

Ps., I have posted quite a bit on my GTD approach that you might or not find worthy reading, up to you, most importantly just carry-on!

Last edited:

schmeggahead

Registered
I believe deleting it all will bring a fresh wind.
How did you create such a fun thread, @LeadingEfficiency37 ?
GTD Bankruptcy, fresh wind, etc.

I had a folder of Someday Maybe that I hadn't looked at for 5 years. Once day I happened onto it. I went through and most of it was complete or active in my system. It felt good.

One thing I used to do when there was a lot of paper for my job, I would incubate my trash. Two folders, when both were pretty full, I'd empty the oldest one. Somehow, this freed me to throw lots of stuff away. I would frequently go back and retrieve an item or 2, but rarely on the scale of my tossing.

I see excitement in your posts. Good attitude makes good luck.
Clayton.

How harmful overspecialization is; it cuts knowledge in 1 million places and leaves it bleeding - Isaac Asimov, Foundation