When multiple contexts are available

manynothings

Registered
Hello,

What do you do when you have multiple contexts able to be chosen from? I'm having trouble deciding between three different approaches:

- choose action from the combined list of actions suitable for the contexts,
- choose from the "scarcest" context, the context in which you have less time available with,
- choose from the "busiest" context, the context in which you have the most actions with.

Thanks,

manynothings

René Lie

Certified GTD Trainer
My approach is that I only want to see ONE context at all times. But in Asana, I utilize "sections" with in this context, for grouping tasks I can do at my office (using spesific software, for example).

Previously there were certain things I had to be in my office at work to do, other things I only could do in my home office, and a lot of things I could do both places. For this, I marked those tasks with either one of the context or both - so that I only had to look at ONE context list no matter what! (Asana supports assigning tasks to more than one context, not all task managers do.) Later, things changes so I can literally do any task both places, so I'm back to only one office list.

For me, it's important to have it all in one place and not jump between lists. I want to see the whole map of choices, only then can I trust that I take the best intuitive choice from moment to moment - and I don't want this map to be cluttered by stuff I can't move on in my current context...

ivanjay205

Registered
Hello,

What do you do when you have multiple contexts able to be chosen from? I'm having trouble deciding between three different approaches:

- choose action from the combined list of actions suitable for the contexts,
- choose from the "scarcest" context, the context in which you have less time available with,
- choose from the "busiest" context, the context in which you have the most actions with.

Thanks,

manynothings
I approach this in a few different ways.... They are different options and depending on where I am in my day I look at these strategies.

First one is I look at Area of Focus to narrow it down. If I am handling business finance for example I really like to stay in that world and knock off financial related things since my mind is there.

If I am time dependent I start with time. So I have perspectives for 5 minutes, 15 minutes, and 30 minutes. Anything within 30 minutes of a meeting or another activity I use one of these perspectives which narrows me down a lot to start off with.

Last, I think about contexts that are most contingent on where I am. For example, I carry my laptop home and in the office so I can really do a lot of computer stuff either way. But we use Quick Books at work and that does not work well remote. So when I am in my office if I have quick books contextual work available I try to prioritize that first since it is the least flexible.

schmeggahead

Registered
What do you do when you have multiple contexts able to be chosen from?
My first thought on this was "man, this person has way too many contexts!" but that felt rude and condescending. You know how many contexts are right for you.

My next thought was: I only create a new context when my current contexts were overloaded or I have to look at part of a list. (e.g. recently with all the rain here, I had to split my @home list to an @home @outside lists. They are mutually exclusive, so either I am outside or I am home (inside).

So what contexts do I have that overlap? @Agendas have some measure of overlap with @Digital, @Home, @Focused, and @Planning. If a person is available on my @Agendas list, that would trump the rest. If I am up for some focused work or planning, they might overlap some, so I would scan both lists to see what attracted me (these are not short tasks typically). Am I having digital fatigue, then @Home trumps @Digital.

I guess a lot has to do with my capability at the time to engage with items on the list, that's why I have these separate contexts in the first place.

So it looks as if I used a hybrid of all of your approaches.

The key for me what to consider why I have overlapping contexts and examine what differentiates them for me.
Hope this helps,
Clayton

While rowing upstream on a misty morning day, suddenly another boat appeared coming downstream, not trying to avoid me.
It was coming straight at me. "Be careful, Be careful" I shouted but the boat came right into me almost sinking my boat.
Angrily I turned to give him a piece of my mind, but there was no one in the other boat.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
I don’t have a black/white rule about it. If I can buy something as an errand or look for it online, I’ll add to both lists. If it’s clear I only want to buy it in one context or the other, I’ll pick one list.