• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

2 Minute Rule

I apply the 2 minute rule when in processing mode. However, what do others do in situations like this:

I complete a next action for a given project. I identify the next action. Do you then apply the 2 minute rule to the new next action - and keep drilling down into the project until you cant do anymore or do you switch to another action on a different project.
 
If I work in the flow state and have no hard time restrictions I work until the workflow stumbles. Then I decide the NA.
I dont't think it's useful to interrupt the flow state.

Yours
Alexander
 
If I'm actively working on a project, I keep going until I get stuck or run out of time. If I'm processing my inbox and encounter a chain of two minute tasks (look up garage phone number THEN call garage THEN check appointment time with husband, etc.), I try to cut it short after 5-10 minutes.

I'm fortunate enough to have an assistant, so I can often delegate this kind of chain to her. That transforms the whole chain from a project to a @WaitingFor, which is nice.

Katherine
 
Since the principle behind the 2 minute rule is that it takes as long or longer to list, review and delist an action than to do it in the first place, I don't see the point of suspending the rule just because the action that follows it belongs to the same project. The only time I don't follow the 2 minute rule is when time constraints force me to reduce it to a shorter interval.
 
Top