5 tab vs. 3 tab plus thin vs. heavy duty

goshafad

Registered
Do you use 5 tabs file folders or 3 and why? Also do you go the extra expense and purchase the heavy duty thicker folders or the cheaper thinner file folders? Thanks.

Oogiem

Registered
goshafad;69896 said:
Do you use 5 tabs file folders or 3 and why? Also do you go the extra expense and purchase the heavy duty thicker folders or the cheaper thinner file folders? Thanks.

I use 3 tab cheap brand. I've tried 5 and they are too small to put decent size labels on. I had a few of the thicker ones and didn't see any real benefit so I never bought any more. I delete or change files fairly often and I re-use the folders. Usually I get several different filings before they get too raggedy to use. Then I cut them into small card size pieces for labeling wool.

Day Owl

Registered
Straight cut for me

I used to use third-cut folders but could never get them to march in an orderly manner---left, center, right; left, center, right---in an alphabetical system. New items would need to be inserted between two existing files, thereby upsetting that pleasing regularity.

Now I use straight-cut files, label each one starting from the left-hand edge, and file them alphabetically. Newcomers are easily absorbed into the system.

AndyD

Registered
I’m using 3 tab, mid-weight clear plastic file folders with coloured tabs.

They’re the Pendaflex EasyView Clear Poly File Folders,– the US letter size version is over at:

http://www.pendaflex.com/enUS/Produ...lex__File_Folders/EasyView__File_Folders.html

http://www.amazon.com/Pendaflex-55702-EasyView-Folders-Letter/dp/B0000AQOGQ

I bought over 600 of the things as a job lot at an absolute bargain price over a year ago and they’re going to last me a lifetime! Before these I tried straight cut/flush cut folders but didn’t like how each would hide the one behind it.

With these 3 tab I’m using the following ordering:

A = Left, B = Mid, C = Right
D = Left, E = Mid, F = Right…
and so on…

I did get a bit hung up one the whole file folder thing early days, straight cut versus tabbed versus document wallets etc so when I saw these at a bargain price, I decided to buy the job lot to force me to simply start using them and get some closure on the file folder thing!

Now I never have to think of or choose another folder again! Labelled some up as my GTD travelling file folders too – being plastic they’re very durable.

Buy a small quantity of any folders you like, to compare them, decide on your favourite, then buy a bulk load of your chosen favourite!

Cheers,

Andy.

Day Owl

Registered
AndyD;70022 said:
I tried straight cut/flush cut folders but didn’t like how each would hide the one behind it.

With these 3 tab I’m using the following ordering:

and so on…

So Andy, when you have several files in an alphabetical section (Aardvark, Anarchy, Axolotl), do the ones in front not hide the ones behind? Just curious...

AndyD

Registered
@Day Owl - it does to a certain extent, but the first folder for each letter acts as a divider/marker for each section, making it (for me) easier to judge where items will be.

With everything aligned flush left as with straight cut folders, it's harder to see where say, the 'E''s start.

With this staggering, the first 'E' folder stands out.

So itstead of:
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I

It's:
A
...B
......C
D
...E
......F
G
...H
......I

This way it's a compromise between flush left and a random scattering of left, mid, right tabs - I didn't want to have to be thinking which folder a new one would be in front of or behind etc. I know all the A's are in one block, the E's in another and as they stand out, it's easier to see where I should start looking.

It's automatic now, I don't have to think about it anymore!

Cheers,

Andy.

Oogiem

Registered
AndyD;70022 said:
and so on…

How do you prevent folders with only 1 or a few pages in them from being hidden by the folders in front?

AndyD

Registered
Oogiem;70092 said:
How do you prevent folders with only 1 or a few pages in them from being hidden by the folders in front?

@Oogiem - Unfortunately you can't really stop this from happening.

However, I've found if I use a pair of L shaped bookends to 'sandwich' the folders together, they tend to stand up vertically/individually rather than at an angle, leaning against each other and this does help the visibility.

But for me this is the best compromise I've found and I've now stopped looking!

Believe me, before this I tried all kinds of folders/document wallets trying to find the perfect filing set-up, now realise there isn't one, it's just a question of finding the best compromise.

With straight cut/flush cut folders everything is straight behind the first folder and it's harder to tell where the A - Z sections start (without using additional A-Z dividers).

Using a varying Left, Centre, Right arrangement so nothing is behind or in front of the next/previous folder tab is way too complicated for me. I don't want to have to think what's already there to decide the new folder tab position. As soon as I'd get it right, another folder would come along and ruin the perfect arrangement.

Also, with the tabs scattered around in this way so no two tabs are ever together, it's harder to tell where the A-Z sections are. 'G' could be a left, centre or right tab depending on the rest of it's wording or folders behind or in front of it. So to find anything means zig zagging through left, centre, tabs with no particular order.

With the A=Left, B=Mid, C=Right, D=Left... arrangement it means that a given initial is always in the same block and this makes finding, say, the E's from the F's very easy. Each first initial is a divider in its own right.

This way you can find the start of a section easily, then simply sort through that section. I'm finding this much easier than having to zig zag through almost random tab arrangement.

Good luck with whatever arrangement you're using.

Cheers,

AndyD