A gadget for my wife?

M

MarcTech

I’m dying for the new Tungsten T5 but my wife insists that I’m not allowed any new gadgets until I find an equally enticing one to get for her. Are there any women out there who can help me out? Men with tech-happy wives or girlfriends? I must have the Tungsten... What can I tempt her with?

J

Jane M.

How 'bout a mini?

I'm in love with my ipod mini. AND it was an anniversary present from my husband, so all the sweeter. I have all of the little thingies for it too, like itrip and a car adapter, a remote control for skiing, and a weather-resistant case for running in the rain. Very nice.

F

Foozball

ball and chain

Man, talk about a ball and chain. I have three words of advice for you: separate bank accounts. My other suggestion is to get her one of those iRobot Roomba vacuums. That way you can make her happy, get your Tungsten and clean your floor all at the same time.

M

Mike Ferguson

Just a brief off-topic chime-in to say that the iRobot Roomba is so damn cool. I was the chief Roomba skeptic, resisted buying it all the way to the check-out stand, and have been happily eating crow ever since that little smart vacuum made its first circle around our living room. Even put new legs on the couch so it could get under there.

TPorter2

Registered
What about a nice digital camera? Being able to share pictures is high on lots of people's lists.

Or how about a cell phone upgrade?

What about a Palm for her? I love mine and keep my life in there. Of course, I am like you and want the Tungsten T5.

A Tech Happy Wife

J

jmarkey

Giving a woman a vacuum, even a really cool one, could be a risky undertaking... I would go with the digital camera if she doesn't already have one.

C

CarolC

Please, please don't give her a vaccum cleaner unless she asks for it!!!!!

A

Anonymous

When I read the title of your post, I thought "sounds like a fair swap".

M

Mike Ferguson

Speaking for my post, the reason I identified my comments on the Roomba as "off-topic" is because the vacuum was a gadget for the family, not my wife, though she was the family member who decided to buy it.

My wife uses my old NEC MobilePro 780 because she likes the nearly full keyboard and a screen that can contain a complex sentence without wrapping, and yet the entire computer is the size of a smallish paper planner. There is virtually no learning curve from the desktop environment, and yet the MobilePro delivers a lot of mobility. I think I would have upgraded to the NEC MobilePro 900 if it were not for self-imposed GTD peer pressure. I bought an iPAQ.

A

Anonymous

Hilarious question! :lol:

I didn't think it was enticing at the time, but my husband bought me a Handspring something-or-other (several years ago). Of course now I'm hopelessly hooked on my PDA, now a basic Clie.

But of course now I'd rather have a Tungsten too.

As far as vacs, I went for the incredible suction of the Hoover Windtunnel. Love that thing! Am I the only woman on the planet who was happy to get a vacuum cleaner?

Love my tiny little iRiver mp3 player for working out.

But that iPod looks cool too.

I would love to try a Tablet PC. Or maybe just a laptop.

I would love a digital SLR that would fit my Nikon lenses.

No end of enticing gadgets, but all $$$$$$$$$$.

-Another Tech-Happy Wife Who Nonetheless Sees More To Like

A

Anonymous

GIFT FOR WIFE

JEWERLY - AND IT SHOULD BE EXPENSIVE ENOUGH TO HURT - YOU WILL FIND THAT SUCH A GIFT WILL BE AROUND A LOT LONGER THAN ANY OTHER "THING" THAT YOU OWN TODAY AND FOR THAT ENTIRE TIME IT WILL REMIND HER, AND YOU, OF YOUR COMMITMENT TO HER. IF YOU ADOPT THAT SORT OF GENEROSITY TOWARDS YOUR WIFE YOU PROBABLY WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT BUYING TRINKETS FOR YOURSELF.

A

Anonymous

I have to delurk long enough to chip in some gender observations...

andersons, I just realized I'd been assuming you were a guy for no good reason. I am female too, and it irks me that I so often find myself making stupid gender assumptions.

Also, I'd say be just as wary of giving jewelry as giving a vacuum.
Mr. ALL CAPS (is it Mr.?),
I find your generalizations about women and expensive jewelry insulting.
I don't wear jewelry and further admit that I just don't get why people find gold, diamonds, etc, valuable at all. Some people genuinely enjoy it--nothing wrong with that either, but I'd be pretty pissed with any guy who automatically assumed that expensive sparkely trinkets would win him eternal goodwill.
Perhaps I'm over-reacting. I'm all for generosity toward one's significant other, just not the women love jewelry stereotype.

A

Anonymous

The Tungsten 3 was better-rated in a couple reviews I read, in part because of the expanding screen. Would she appreciate a PDA herself? Or an upgrade to the one she has? A better mobile phone? I am female and don't have a male from whom I can extor--- um, coax my own gadgets, but I do have a question for you. Have you simply asked her what she'd like? It's the easiest out you have. If she can't tell you what she wants, you can't be blamed for not getting something for her, can you? And you can hardly be expected to let technology pass you by while she's figuring it out, right?

BTW, "surprise me" means you can give her Tinkertoys and still get your Tungsten. Not that I'd recommend doing it.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous said:
I have to delurk long enough to chip in some gender observations...

andersons, I just realized I'd been assuming you were a guy for no good reason. I am female too, and it irks me that I so often find myself making stupid gender assumptions.

Also, I'd say be just as wary of giving jewelry as giving a vacuum.
Mr. ALL CAPS (is it Mr.?),
I find your generalizations about women and expensive jewelry insulting.
I don't wear jewelry and further admit that I just don't get why people find gold, diamonds, etc, valuable at all. Some people genuinely enjoy it--nothing wrong with that either, but I'd be pretty pissed with any guy who automatically assumed that expensive sparkely trinkets would win him eternal goodwill.
Perhaps I'm over-reacting. I'm all for generosity toward one's significant other, just not the women love jewelry stereotype.

As a guy "guest" I'm sorry but truth be told, the woman who doesnt like jewelry is not all that common.
Perhaps in forums like this we have more PDA totin women, for the "geek" factor of both genders is disproportionately high. No doubt a higher portion are into electronics.

Some generalizations are not bad. "Generally" doesnt mean "all" but rather "most." You are clearly an exception to the norm. Thats cool too.
My wife likes jewelery, but I did especially like when she told me to take a diamond pendant back because she wanted a big screen TV instead.

Being the kind of guy I am was all too willing to oblige. :)

Let me tell you I'd much prefer if she'd ALWAYS were in the mood for electronics over expensive rocks. But usually thats not the case.

Conversely a woman might suggest season tickets to a mans favorite team as a gift.
Not all men like to watch sports, but to suggest it need not offend a man who doesnt like sports in a forum like this.

Nothing wrong with suggesting jewelry as it is perhaps the most common gift wish for many women.
Surely if she is not into jewelry, the original hubby who made the post would know better than to implement that idea. Or at least the jewelry part.

I think the principle is this,
Give your spouse, or encourage your spouse to get something that she/he wants and the less resistant they will be to your little splurges.
Suggest your spouse "go for it" when contemplating a purchase.

My wife will buy something expensive and I know I will get no grief from her about my next digital toy.

The occasional mutual "splurge" is almost like gift giving, except you get exactly what you want.
Everybody wins.

A

Anonymous

Buy her one of those fancy corkscrews so she can open the wine for you while you are playing with your toys.

Alternatively if your a beer man then get her a bottle opener.

:evil: Just kidding, not.