A GTD Workflow using Trello, Drafts 4, CloudMagic, Sunrise, Evernote and Zapier

DynamicMetaFlow

Registered
Hello everyone,

I have been a user of GTD for a long time now. Like many others I have tried to find the Holy Grail of GTD work flow and software combinations. I am sure no such thing exists but only an approximation; we have to constantly adapt to our environment and ever changing demands.

With this in mind I have worked recently on creating a work flow using: Trello, Drafts 4, CloudMagic, Sunrise, Evernote and Zapier.

For those interested please take a look at the link below it has a blog post explaining the setup.

http://bit.ly/1HNidJn

The applications used in iOS:
Applications used in my computer:
  • Zapier - http://zapier.com/
  • RescueTime
  • Trello
  • Gmail
  • Evernote
  • Sunrise Calendar
  • Chrome extensions:
  • (Agile SCRUM for Trello boards, Auto Text Expander for Google Chrome, Card Color Titles for Trello, Flatrello, GMail to Trello, Nests for Trello, Slim Lists for Trello)
tumblr_inline_ngri64PwaK1t72pau.png

Trello is a web-based project management application that follows a paradigm methodology called kanban. Think of Trello has a huge whiteboard that uses sticky notes; it allows for flexibility of moving information to different lists, creating cards, and boards. A "board" is where your lists and cards reside, a "card" can be interpreted as a task or note and a "list" represent a category. Please see below how my GTD boards and lists are arranged within Trello.

Main
  • Inbox
  • Next Action
  • Today (Max 5)
  • Someday/Maybe
  • Waiting For
  • Context
  • Priority
  • Tags
  • Done
Calendar
  • Scheduled
  • This Week
  • Context
  • Priority
  • Tags
  • Done
Reference Material
  • Personal
  • Work
  • Context
  • Priority
  • Tags
Projects
  • Personal
  • Python
  • Context
  • Priority
  • Tags
tumblr_inline_ngri4zN9OL1t72pau.png

Drafts 4 is an amazing utility that allows you to type a note quickly and then use actions for use in other applications. Drafts is my ubiquitous quick capture tool that complements Trello. Drafts allows me to capture any idea or piece of information I have in my mind and place it to my trusted Trello GTD system. I have customized Drafts to mirror my Trello setup. I and @apkawel have created actions that can be used to Trello to create cards individually to a list and also add multiple cards to a board.

For the most part I capture everything with Drafts and then automatically create cards to Trello. I capture with Drafts via typing it directly or through using Siri and dictating a note to be saved and to later be imported. I use Trello and view it in the mobile application or on my laptop to get a visual representation of my lists and what I have to do. If a card needs to be moved from one list to another I simply just move it there.

tumblr_inline_ngv7knkeXz1t72pau.png

tumblr_inline_ngv7lmMaRm1t72pau.png

Please see the link below to import the Drafts 4 actions
http://drafts4-actions.agiletortoise...trello&button=

CloudMagic is an email client for iOS that support for Trello. CloudMagic allows me to use its "Cards" system and send important emails to Trello where I place it under the appropriate list.
tumblr_inline_nj5ztvqRsJ1t72pau.png

Sunrise is a calendar application that has support for the Trello API. One of the benefits is that when I add a due date to a card in Trello it appears instantly in Sunrise which is great!
tumblr_inline_nj6015jTpk1t72pau.jpg

Last but not least, I use Evernote for my reference material and use Zapier actions that when a card is placed anywhere on Reference Material board it creates a note on Evernote and vice-versa.
One of the new features that have been added to Trello are "unlimited labels" I use this in conjuction with Agile SCRUM for Trello boards to add another layer of taxonomy using tags.
http://blog.trello.com/introducing-unlimited-labels/

Another thing I have done is that I created new members to each board for visualization they are numbered from 1-4, Urgent, Important, Medium and Low.

Below is a list of the chrome extensions I use and their function. I highly recommend installing them to use this workflow

Agile SCRUM for Trello boards - When one creates a card with [Personal], [Personal] becomes a tag. I use it to further organize myself.
Auto Text Expander for Google Chrome - when i type .personal, the Auto Text Expander writes [Personal] #Personal I use this to appropiately create a tag and label with the unlimited labels option for Trello
Card Color Titles for Trello - Shows the Card label titles
Flatrello - This extension reduces render time on Trello
GMail to Trello - Allows for creating a new card from email thread and easily searching back
Nests for Trello - Enables nested boards in Trello by clicking a card
Slim Lists for Trello - Shows you more lists in Trello by reducing the width of lists in Trello by up to 50%

I aim to continue to use this system and improve upon it, if you have any questions or suggestions please let me know at alexander.soto@gmail.com

Overview.png

main2.png

autotext.png

Zapier.png

UPDATE: Today I ran across another application that integrates well with this workflow and its called RescueTime. It essentially is able to generate reports based off Trello's activity. See the link below for details

http://blog.rescuetime.com/2015/01/2...ve-been-doing/

If there are questions I would be glad to help and also receive suggestions. Thank you.

UPDATE 3-21-2015:

I have made copies of my board's setup and set them to be publicly accessible. Click on one of the links below to get an understanding of how everything is set up.

You can also make a copy of these boards and use it for your own personal GTD setup. Hope this helps and thanks to everyone expressing an interest. At some point I will do another post on how i setup everything.

https://trello.com/b/iaRiSate/main-demo

https://trello.com/b/rRAIV2bC/projects-demo

https://trello.com/b/7t9wtnXC/calendar-demo

https://trello.com/b/Y9mkNeuw/review-demo

Romain

GTD Connect
Thanks for sharing! I like how you implemented GTD in your environment. Actually the main thought I had while reading through your system is how personal a GTD implementation really is, once it covers all the aspects. I mean, this obviously is a great fit for you; I imagine it took some time to tweak and fix, and it can give great insights to other people for their own system. Point is, two GTD systems, if they truly match one's life, just can't be alike in my opinion. I really like how you "covered" Trello all around :)

DynamicMetaFlow

Registered
Romain said:
Thanks for sharing! I like how you implemented GTD in your environment. Actually the main thought I had while reading through your system is how personal a GTD implementation really is, once it covers all the aspects. I mean, this obviously is a great fit for you; I imagine it took some time to tweak and fix, and it can give great insights to other people for their own system. Point is, two GTD systems, if they truly match one's life, just can't be alike in my opinion. I really like how you "covered" Trello all around :)

Thank you Romain! It did take awhile to customize and use Trello. I've used several software implementations out there and couldn't find one that suited my needs. For me this is as close to an ideal setup as I can get. I liked how you said that implementing a GTD system is a truly unique process different for each person, I truly believe that. I'm glad you enjoyed the post!

tyGTDer

Registered
DynamicMetaFlow said:
Below is a list of the chrome extensions I use and their function. I highly recommend installing them to use this workflow

Agile SCRUM for Trello boards - When one creates a card with [Personal], [Personal] becomes a tag. I use it to further organize myself.
Auto Text Expander for Google Chrome - when i type .personal, the Auto Text Expander writes [Personal] #Personal I use this to appropiately create a tag and label with the unlimited labels option for Trello
Card Color Titles for Trello - Shows the Card label titles
Flatrello - This extension reduces render time on Trello
GMail to Trello - Allows for creating a new card from email thread and easily searching back
Nests for Trello - Enables nested boards in Trello by clicking a card
Slim Lists for Trello - Shows you more lists in Trello by reducing the width of lists in Trello by up to 50%....

Thank you for the list of extensions! :)

I've been using Trello for GTD over a year now and added a few from your list and this comprises the full list that I use:

Cards view filter for trello
Boards for trello
Card color titles for trello (thx!)
Nests for trello
Plus for trello - also colors the cards
Projects for trello
Slim lists for trello

Not a direct Trello add-in, but there are trello stylesheets using:
Stylish (stylesheets to change look)

DynamicMetaFlow

Registered
tyGTDer said:
Thank you for the list of extensions! :)

I've been using Trello for GTD over a year now and added a few from your list and this comprises the full list that I use:

Cards view filter for trello
Boards for trello
Card color titles for trello (thx!)
Nests for trello
Plus for trello - also colors the cards
Projects for trello
Slim lists for trello

Not a direct Trello add-in, but there are trello stylesheets using:
Stylish (stylesheets to change look)

I'm glad you found some of the extensions as helpful! Let me know if you want to geek out with Trello someday lol

devon.marie

Registered
DynamicMetaFlow said:
It did take awhile to customize and use Trello. I've used several software implementations out there and couldn't find one that suited my needs. For me this is as close to an ideal setup as I can get.

I did the exact same thing! I think I've used every todo app under the sun. I switched back to paper for a month, and the insight it gave me told me that Trello was perfect for my needs. My setup is considerably simpler, but I too love it. I just use Trello, Evernote, and Sunrise. I tried using Drafts (with your actions!) but found it was an unnecessary added step for me, as I have an !Inbox notebook in Evernote that I use for most other things. So now that is my permanent Inbox, and I clear it every evening. Evernote holds all of my reference material, and each project gets a tag (I don't use the notebooks to store items, rather I use tags and keep notebooks for instances where I must share items. That way I can sort my notes according to what makes sense to me, and share at the same time without sacrificing that). If I'm checking my email and I KNOW an email becomes an action, I will email forward it to Trello. I try to avoid this, though, because Trello doesn't support HTML email. I prefer to stick it in Evernote and then add a simple task to my todo lists in Trello.

I have one board for each AoR (Work, Home, Freelance) and then I have an Errands board and an Agendas board. My Trello lists on my AoR boards are as follows:
- Labels & Incoming (Where I use example cards to show the labels like you do and then send all incoming tasks)
- Next Actions (for individual tasks not tied to projects)
- Projects (each project gets its own list)
- Waiting/On Hold
- Completed (dated with year and month. I archive it at the end of each month so I have a quick reference of what I completed each month in my Archived Items)

Then I have the following Labels on each AoR board:
- Next Action (All items in the Next Actions list have this Label, as well as the items I can act upon in my Projects lists)
- Quick (for tasks that take 5-10 minutes)
- In Progress (Tasks I had begun but got interrupted and should finish ASAP - very few items but it happens, sadly)
- Priority (self-explanatory)
- Contexts (I have a label for each context that's something I like to do in chunks. Most of my job is at a desk with computer and phone, so those do not contain a context. I lump Website work together with a context since I like to do all of that while logged in, etc.)
- Waiting (all items in the Waiting/On Hold list get this, as well as any items in the projects lists that I'm waiting on)

This way I can use Trello's Filter ability to view just Next Actions while still seeing the tasks in their project context. I can also easily make sure I'm acting on all of my active projects by seeing if there are Next Actions available for them. I also find it to be much easier to work from a mostly cleared board versus one filled with lists and lists of items that I can't act on yet. I love using Trello for this because I can also see everything at one glance - no clicking between lists. And, I can attach images to my tasks that display on the front of the card, which is awesome for bugs to fix and signage to redo. I use Evernote as my long-term storage, so while I do attach all text, documents, images, files, etc. to each Trello card as pertains to it, I don't use Trello to reference that stuff in the future - I use Evernote for that.

kjkiehn

Registered
I am brand new to GTD. I'm still reading the book, but I am beginning to implement the practices as I read. Cloud magic looks great for iOS, but what do you use on your desktop? I saw that you listed Gmail but I wasn't sure if there was a specific mail client you used on your computer, or if you just used gmail online. Trying to find the easiest way to sync with Trello from my desktop as well as my mobile devices. Thanks in advance for any tips!

kjkiehn

Registered
I am brand new to GTD. I'm still reading the book, but I am beginning to implement the practices as I read. Cloud magic looks great for iOS, but what do you use on your desktop? I saw that you listed Gmail but I wasn't sure if there was a specific mail client you used on your computer, or if you just used gmail online. Trying to find the easiest way to sync with Trello from my desktop as well as my mobile devices. Thanks in advance for any tips!

DynamicMetaFlow

Registered
chirmer said:
I did the exact same thing! I think I've used every todo app under the sun. I switched back to paper for a month, and the insight it gave me told me that Trello was perfect for my needs. My setup is considerably simpler, but I too love it. I just use Trello, Evernote, and Sunrise. I tried using Drafts (with your actions!) but found it was an unnecessary added step for me, as I have an !Inbox notebook in Evernote that I use for most other things. So now that is my permanent Inbox, and I clear it every evening. Evernote holds all of my reference material, and each project gets a tag (I don't use the notebooks to store items, rather I use tags and keep notebooks for instances where I must share items. That way I can sort my notes according to what makes sense to me, and share at the same time without sacrificing that). If I'm checking my email and I KNOW an email becomes an action, I will email forward it to Trello. I try to avoid this, though, because Trello doesn't support HTML email. I prefer to stick it in Evernote and then add a simple task to my todo lists in Trello.

I have one board for each AoR (Work, Home, Freelance) and then I have an Errands board and an Agendas board. My Trello lists on my AoR boards are as follows:
- Labels & Incoming (Where I use example cards to show the labels like you do and then send all incoming tasks)
- Next Actions (for individual tasks not tied to projects)
- Projects (each project gets its own list)
- Waiting/On Hold
- Completed (dated with year and month. I archive it at the end of each month so I have a quick reference of what I completed each month in my Archived Items)

Then I have the following Labels on each AoR board:
- Next Action (All items in the Next Actions list have this Label, as well as the items I can act upon in my Projects lists)
- Quick (for tasks that take 5-10 minutes)
- In Progress (Tasks I had begun but got interrupted and should finish ASAP - very few items but it happens, sadly)
- Priority (self-explanatory)
- Contexts (I have a label for each context that's something I like to do in chunks. Most of my job is at a desk with computer and phone, so those do not contain a context. I lump Website work together with a context since I like to do all of that while logged in, etc.)
- Waiting (all items in the Waiting/On Hold list get this, as well as any items in the projects lists that I'm waiting on)

This way I can use Trello's Filter ability to view just Next Actions while still seeing the tasks in their project context. I can also easily make sure I'm acting on all of my active projects by seeing if there are Next Actions available for them. I also find it to be much easier to work from a mostly cleared board versus one filled with lists and lists of items that I can't act on yet. I love using Trello for this because I can also see everything at one glance - no clicking between lists. And, I can attach images to my tasks that display on the front of the card, which is awesome for bugs to fix and signage to redo. I use Evernote as my long-term storage, so while I do attach all text, documents, images, files, etc. to each Trello card as pertains to it, I don't use Trello to reference that stuff in the future - I use Evernote for that.

I'm glad you are also using Trello for GTD and finding it easier! The more users the better! You don't want to have too many buckets, inbox's, since that would just create extra overhead.

Peronally, I use Drafts on a daily basis more than I do than Evernote. Imagine you are just walking outside (in my case shoveling snow) you have an idea or a reminder and you wan to jot it down quickly before you forget. You open up Drafts 4 and jot down what you have in mind "Remember to buy roses" you then use an action to send it to Drafts and or any other app that works for you, for example Evernote.

Another way is that you can use Siri with Drafts, (I love creating a reminder with Siri it then gets imported to Drafts 4 and then all of my reminders or ToDo's are in Drafts ready to process for Trello and I can put them in their corresponding locations) For me I like having my idea written down as fast as possible and interact less with all the different GUI's of all the applications.

I really like your setup, I would say its pretty similar. I'm mosttly active on my Main/GTD board and Calendar board. While I agree sometimes being cluttered is too much imo I think it''s mostly just done "Done" list that gets too clutterred. I like sometimes having visual cues there for my mind for some reason I've grown to it.

If you ever have the time it would be great for you to post your setup as well so more people can become familar! Thanks for posting!

DynamicMetaFlow

Registered
kjkiehn said:

Hello! Welcome to the world of GTD! For my desktop I use Chrome and there is an extension called Gmail to Trello. It's an excellent extension that adds a button to Gmail's web interface and allows me to add a card to any board and list that I specifiy. Also while I know you are new my best advice is stick with using one implementation of GTD, one tool. Spend more time practicing GTD and its rituals and less time on the tools. If you need any help with this implementation of using Trello let me know.

devon.marie

Registered
DynamicMetaFlow said:
Peronally, I use Drafts on a daily basis more than I do than Evernote. Imagine you are just walking outside (in my case shoveling snow) you have an idea or a reminder and you wan to jot it down quickly before you forget. You open up Drafts 4 and jot down what you have in mind "Remember to buy roses" you then use an action to send it to Drafts and or any other app that works for you, for example Evernote.

Another way is that you can use Siri with Drafts, (I love creating a reminder with Siri it then gets imported to Drafts 4 and then all of my reminders or ToDo's are in Drafts ready to process for Trello and I can put them in their corresponding locations) For me I like having my idea written down as fast as possible and interact less with all the different GUI's of all the applications.

I really wanted to use Drafts, because you're right - it's really quick and easy to jot stuff down. But, Evernote supports emails (like HTML formatted ones), PDFs, images, Skitch screenshots, etc. and for me, it was much more important that I have ONE inbox versus having two - one for text (Drafts) and one for media and attachments (Evernote). It's just so much easier to get everything requiring actions in one place, versus possibly the best place for each type of item and then having 2 inboxes. Plus I had taken a break from Drafts and hadn't used it since its latest major update, and I find it much less user friendly now than it was. Perhaps I'm just used to the older Drafts's interface, but I shouldn't have to spend 30+ minutes trying to figure out where the old functionality went (editing recipes, moving them around, etc.). I still can't find it. At 26 years old, I'm not used to struggling with technology like this ;)

amcavinchey

Registered
Great article thanks! I'd like to implement this system. The links at the bottom to the sample boards appear to be broken or made private - is there any chance you could share them again please?