• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

A River Runs Through It.

Mike,

Would you like to ghost write my autobiography? You’ve made a good start!

I love your idea of randomly selecting CDs. At the moment, my listening time is mostly in the car. I tend to “mood manage” the drive to work and back with a careful (and unfortunately small) selection of CDs. This leaves all the others waiting for “the right time”.

As a teenager, I was completely open to whatever anyone gave or recommended me. I got the most out of each, and the better ones became bench-marks for what I looked for later in life. I still have that open mind when listening to the radio, but strangely, once I get possession of a new piece, I tend to stow it away and carry on the search for the next “perfect” piece. (Or is it the ultimate perfect piece?)

Are you, like me, in a non creative job?
Lately, my obsession was, what would be my primary creative outlet? Drawing? Music? Writing? It was driving me crazy. Then, I realized I wasn't in fact DOING any of these things, I was just obsessing about which ONE to do.

I could rewrite that slightly for myself by saying that at this stage, ANY creative outlet would do!

I’ve dabbled in music, writing, art … but now for example we are doing some shopping around for new furniture, and I am saying to myself “Hey! I could really express myself through interior decorating!”

I love where you say that you can “look back on the last year and wonder what all the fuss was about.” That’s the sensation I usually get when I finally get around to finally doing something rather than thinking about it. I always end up writing notes to myself afterwards like “doing is much quicker and easier than you thought” and so on.

As for the “squibs of info-nuggets on all areas of life” I console myself by believing that one day I will write a huge novel that will contain them all and “delightfully” or “intriguingly” set out "my" view of life. (Or else I will package them as a book of quotations – they seem to sell well!).

Thanks Mike

Dave
 
Top