Action Complete for Andriod and web

simongtd

Registered
Hi everyone,

I've been getting into GTD lately, and have been looking for a mobile solution that I can use from my Android phone, PC and on the web.

I've tried a few, and have settled on Action Complete Pro for web for now, is there anyone else using this? On the forums, there seems to be loads of threads on RTM and other solutions, but not Action Complete.

I'm using Evernote to store electronic notes and information, and as a mobile 'Inbox'.

I've found AC very good, with the exception of the speed of the web app sometimes, the mobile App is very easy to use and the support is good.

Because I'm only starting GTD, I would like to make sure that my solution is a good one!

Any comments?

I have no connection with Action Complete by the way.

Simon

jan.vlcinsky

Registered
My experience with supporting GTD on Android device.

Hi Simon
I cannot confirm, your toobox for Android is "correct" one, I can only share my experience with trying to use GTD with Android and web apps support.

I used RTM earlier on Windows mobile phone and it worked relatively well (there was no development of RTM for WM that time and this was one of reasons I moved to Android).

Using RTM on Android is quite good, I had only some small troubles with it:
  • not possible to use nested items (so not tree supported)
  • mobile version did not allow to dial a phone number, mentioned in Call items
This was the reason, I tried Google Tasks
With Google Tasks, I enjoyed simplicity of entering lists and trees. Mobile application seemed also usable, however, this application is still not mature enough, as it does not offer full text search and GUI is "too simple".

Then I tried GQueues, it seemed very promising (they have special GTD video on their tutorials). Great think is, you can naturally reorder items in the list, this I really like.
However, the web GUI is slow, does not support use of keyboard on many places and does not offer fulltext search.

I learned one thing - mobile device is not the best place to enter and edit items on my lists. Entering and editing items while sitting at my PC works the best. Mobile is the best tool to read my list items (like what I should buy or what have on agenda with the person I just met).

So my current attempt is to keep most of my lists just on PC using freemind program, have the data backuped regularly and keep on my mobile only what I really need (calls, errand and possibly agendas).

Where is Android at its best is using calendars and contacts - I use GMail with Callendar and Contacts, have it synced naturally and this works perfectly.

And one extra trick, which saves my Android batteries and elongate usability without recharging - I use GTD NoteTaker Wallet - it is easy to carry, easy to enter things I need and later on next morning I can process it and put it into my GTD system. It works much faster then trying to use the limited keyboard and navigation options on my mobile device.

I have to note, that my working style is "sitting at computer" most of the time (I like it, as there I can do the "real work") with travelling to meetings once in few weeks.

Jan

TesTeq

Registered
GTD Notetaker Wallet saves every battery!

jan.vlcinsky;89092 said:
And one extra trick, which saves my Android batteries and elongate usability without recharging - I use GTD NoteTaker Wallet - it is easy to carry, easy to enter things I need and later on next morning I can process it and put it into my GTD system. It works much faster then trying to use the limited keyboard and navigation options on my mobile device.

As far as I know David Allen's GTD Notetaker Wallet is compatible with all mobile operating systems and can save batteries in any smartphone! ;-)

simongtd

Registered
Hi Jan,

Thank you very much for the information on your system.

I thought that action complete ticked all the boxes in what I needed from an Android/Pc/Web action tracker.

But, today was the first real test at work. I'm really busy right now, and today the web application was just too slow to be useful, I had to resort to making notes of waits and actions on paper, and then putting them in at the end of the day.

What I was really after was a system that could sit open on one of my monitors all day, and allow me to quickly edit the actions and waits.

It's also important that I can see (and edit) them on my phone as I do spend time away from my desk.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much from an electronic system

The search goes on!

humblepie

Registered
jan.vlcinsky;89092 said:
Hi Simon
I cannot confirm, your toobox for Android is "correct" one, I can only share my experience with trying to use GTD with Android and web apps support.

I used RTM earlier on Windows mobile phone and it worked relatively well (there was no development of RTM for WM that time and this was one of reasons I moved to Android).

Using RTM on Android is quite good, I had only some small troubles with it:
  • not possible to use nested items (so not tree supported)
  • mobile version did not allow to dial a phone number, mentioned in Call items
This was the reason, I tried Google Tasks
With Google Tasks, I enjoyed simplicity of entering lists and trees. Mobile application seemed also usable, however, this application is still not mature enough, as it does not offer full text search and GUI is "too simple".

Then I tried GQueues, it seemed very promising (they have special GTD video on their tutorials). Great think is, you can naturally reorder items in the list, this I really like.
However, the web GUI is slow, does not support use of keyboard on many places and does not offer fulltext search.

I learned one thing - mobile device is not the best place to enter and edit items on my lists. Entering and editing items while sitting at my PC works the best. Mobile is the best tool to read my list items (like what I should buy or what have on agenda with the person I just met).

So my current attempt is to keep most of my lists just on PC using freemind program, have the data backuped regularly and keep on my mobile only what I really need (calls, errand and possibly agendas).

Where is Android at its best is using calendars and contacts - I use GMail with Callendar and Contacts, have it synced naturally and this works perfectly.

I have to note, that my working style is "sitting at computer" most of the time (I like it, as there I can do the "real work") with travelling to meetings once in few weeks.

Jan

Kinda agree that the smartphone is not the best place to review and edit at the same time. you might want to give WAToDo! a look as it will be sync with Toodledo soon.