Action Lists: Nokia Tasks + Toodledo

PaulK

Registered
I have trying to capture next actions for use on my Nokia N97 mini. Currently I am trialing Toodledo (which supports contexts) synchronised with Tasks on my phone using Nuevasync. This seems to work well so far.

Have you used this setup, or do you have other options that work with a Nokia phone?

Thanks
Paul

clango

Registered
PaulKennedy;83300 said:
I have trying to capture next actions for use on my Nokia N97 mini. Currently I am trialing Toodledo (which supports contexts) synchronised with Tasks on my phone using Nuevasync. This seems to work well so far.

Have you used this setup, or do you have other options that work with a Nokia phone?

Thanks
Paul

I remember Nokia Agenda talk to the Outlook tasks and Notes but the system was slow and ineffective for me.

So I decided to buy and use an HTC/Toodledo/Got To Do and I enjoy the system!

maclaren

Registered
PaulKennedy;83300 said:

I am using a Nokia N97 Mini syncing directly with Outlook. (I refuse to use the cloud until someone shows me a service where my data is encrypted while at rest, not just in transit.)

Nokia's calendar and task manager are brain-dead stone-age applications, and the commercial alternatives (Handy Calendar, SBSH Calendar) are not much better. None of them supports categories, and their sorting and filtering capabilities are atrocious. However, where there's a will, there's a way, and Nokia makes nice phone hardware, even if their software is lacking.

I have Outlook set up pretty much according to the davidco white paper. The only big difference is that due to the lack of categories on the phone (i.e. contexts) I prefix every task with a short tag, e.g. "@E" for errands. The phone dumps all the tasks in one big list, but with the tags I can tell contexts apart. I use a tag like "_PR" for projects. Also, I use the phone's search capability to search on individual tags if I want to see just one context or my project list. It's a bit of a pain but it's workable.

One other difference is that I use priorities to indicate someday/maybe items and projects. They get the lowest Outlook priority so they sort where I want them on the phone. The Nokia calendar has a fixed sort order that I take advantage of -- first it lists undated tasks by priority, followed by dated tasks in order of due dates.

It's a bit ugly, and I'm finding it forces me to do more on Outlook and less on the phone, but it does work.

--rick

PaulK

Registered
Thanks Rick and clango,

Useful suggestions on Outlook priorities to work around limitations in the built in task manager on Nokia, and I will also have a look at alternative phones like HTC.

I am still hoping to find a relatively economical solution to replace my previous corporate Exchange setup. Hosted Exchange options look possible once I can work out how to split email so that I only pay for mailboxes that need Exchange.

Paul

clango

Registered
PaulKennedy;83488 said:
I am still hoping to find a relatively economical solution to replace my previous corporate Exchange setup.

I think the less expensive is Outlook web access. Wherever you are you can find a cheap connection to Internet.
HTC Android is less expensive than others SO. It works on the Google account and here with about 10Euro we can move till 1 GB per month....and this mean thousands of emails!

Alternatively would be possible for you, forward automatically all the email to a Google account connected with the HTC smartphone?