Advanced workflow diagram

H

helenjc

Scott thanks for 'finding' this for us. I like it - the visual additions enhance the workflow diagram nicely - printed already and on my whiteboard.
cheers Helen

A

Anonymous

Good resource - thanks

Thanks for passing along the link. I like the clean, colorful graphics and the reminders about common pitfalls. Now if the artist would just remove the "PC" reference and leave it simply as "hard drive," he'd make millions of Mac users happy... :)

Tim

TesTeq

Registered
Mac is PC too.

Tim Elliot wrote:
Now if the artist would just remove the "PC" reference and leave it simply as "hard drive," he'd make millions of Mac users happy...

Tim, don't be such orthodox - PC means Personal Computer and I think all the Macs are personal computers (correct me if I'm wrong).

Regards,
TesTeq

A

Anonymous

Re: Mac is PC too.

>Now if the artist would just remove the "PC" reference and leave it simply as "hard drive," he'd make millions of Mac users happy...>

Tim, don't be such orthodox - PC means Personal Computer and I think all the Macs are personal computers (correct me if I'm wrong).

Regards,
TesTeq

You're correct, and I acknowledge it was silly to even bring up the distinction in this context.

Still, the common term for Windows boxes (at least here in the States) is "PC." The common term for Mac OS boxes is "Macs." Since 1989, I've never heard any Mac user refer to his or her machine as a PC. There IS a distinction made by both communities - in advertising, in marketing, in security warnings, and in everyday speech. Again, that distinction matters not a bit in the graphic we're discussing.

I'm not being mindlessly orthodox, however. There are weekly revelations of security holes in Microsoft operating systems, and viruses and worms routinely take advantage of them. (Microsoft Outlook is referred to as "Outbreak" in my cross-platform office because of its security problems.) Given the billions of dollars, Euros, yen - you name the currency - spent patching and re-patching the prevailing OS, I'd think Windows users would eventually demand something more reliable.

Here's a quick excerpt from the Cyber Insecurity report with a PDF link at the end for more details:

"...The NIMDA and Slammer worms that attacked millions of Windows-based computers were examples of such 'cascade failure' – they spread from one to another computer at high rates. Why? Because these worms did not have to guess much about the target computers because nearly all computers have the same vulnerabilities.

...Still other vulnerabilities, though exploited every day and costing society substantial sums of time and money, seldom appear in the popular press. According to London-based computer security firm mi2g Ltd., global damage from malicious software inflicted as much as $107 billion in global economic damage this year. It estimates that the SoBig worm, which helped make August '03 the costliest month in terms of economic damage, was responsible for nearly $30 billion in damage alone."

You can get an overview of the Insecurity report (and its fallout) at: http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3299

You can download the full report itself free at http://www.ccianet.org/papers/cyberinsecurity.pdf

In closing: I use a Mac because it's NOT a PC.

Regards,

Tim

TesTeq

Registered
Is PC == Windows? NO!

1) I agree that there are big problems with Windows operating system. But PC is a hardware standard and more and more people are switching to Linux operating system which is stable, open, and free. Apple always wanted to eat the whole cake.

2) The "PC hard drive" label on the diagram can be replaced with "mass storage" because - in my opinion - we can expect cheap implementations of new storage technologies soon.

Regards,
TesTeq

A

Anonymous

Re: Is PC == Windows? NO!

<1) I agree that there are big problems with Windows operating system. But PC is a hardware standard and more and more people are switching to Linux operating system which is stable, open, and free. Apple always wanted to eat the whole cake.

2) The "PC hard drive" label on the diagram can be replaced with "mass storage" because - in my opinion - we can expect cheap implementations of new storage technologies soon.

Regards,
TesTeq>

I concur on all points. Thank you for a polite, well-reasoned exchange.

Regards,

Tim

TesTeq

Registered
Not off course, of course.

Dear signmaker,

In my opinion the discussion between Tim and me was about small correction in Advanced Workflow Diagram. Even without this correction the diagram is very useful as a GTD basics reminding poster.

I hope that we have the right to exchange the ideas which are connected with the thread's main subject. Some posts may be less interesting for you or me but their authors DO HAVE the right to insert them.

I also don't think that it is a crime to be "off course" for a while because it can sometimes allow us to look at the topic from a different perspective.

Regards,
TesTeq

A

Anonymous

Re: OT Again!

<<Thanks Tes and Tim for pulling this topic way off course. It's certainly NOT about the merits of PC vs Mac>>

One of the guiding principles of GTD and this site is 'productivity.' I like the graphic, and I made one (mostly) tongue in cheek cosemetic suggestion. It drew a friendly response from TesTeq.

I took the discussion on a slight detour, perhaps, but the key principle - productivity - remained in sight. Any tool (computer, PDA, etc.) that requires a lot of handholding necessarily reduces productivity. That particular exchange might have been better suited for the gear/gadgets section, but it WAS a natural progression from the original workflow topic. I'd say TesTeq and I moved us back to the center of the discussion pretty painlessly.

Allow me to do so again: I like the graphic, and I'm heading to Kinko's for a nice color printout right now. I hope the designer checks these boards occasionally to accept our thanks.

Regards,

Tim