Affordable Project Planning Software

theilluminated

Registered
Hi!

I am having a difficult time finding project planning/organizing software that is affordable. This is just what I will be using on a personal basis and I have no need for the corporate bells and whistles.

Mainly I am looking for something that has this:
- Project and sub-project overview
- Write notes in each project and sub-project
- Journal

I am on a Mac and I use OmniFocus for having a projects list, next actions and contexts, though it doesn´t work for me as a project planning tool.

Would also love if the software had a mind-map ability for it also. As of now I use folders for this and it is a drag to always open it up physically (especially when I am kind of a geek). Having everything on the computer would just be super easy.

Don´t mind something that I need to learn a little before I get going, used to that from my IT background anyway. Any suggestions or workarounds for project planning?

Here is a current scenario to just give a feel of what I am doing in one of my projects:

Creating my own website from scratch:

1. Database
1.1 - Learn about databases
1.2 - Structure a database for the site
1.3 - Create database based on needs
2. Programming
2.1 - Learn about ColdFusion programming
2.2 - Read the books I got
2.3 - Use the info to connect to database etc.
3. Design
3.1 - Brainstorm ideas for logo
3.2 - Learn Illustrator to create logo
3.3 - Brainstorm ideas for site
3.4 - Create design for site and code with HTML
4. Bring it all together.

I do not have a time frame on all of this, and the steps and not sequential since I can be creative with logo and design and jump to database and programming. So I need something to give me a nice overview and then a journal to know where I last got off in a more detailed manner.

Yup, it is a large project, especially since I got to learn a lot of new stuff, but I love it. Though going a little insane because everything within must be detailed and managed correctly.

Any thoughts?

hacker

Registered
theilluminated;87487 said:
Yup, it is a large project, especially since I got to learn a lot of new stuff, but I love it. Though going a little insane because everything within must be detailed and managed correctly.

Any thoughts?

One word: Redmine.

hacker

Registered
theilluminated;87549 said:
Thanks for sharing, but I have made up my mind concerning programming language and database.

You missed my point: I suggested Redmine as the solution to your web-based Project Management solution, not the solution to your website project's goals.

theilluminated

Registered
Now I feel silly, but that happens. I´ll have it as my backup, trying to avoid web-based programs. Self-hosting is a drag on the machine in the long run and I am not always connected to the Net.

Matt01

Registered
There are many demands that a company must meet long before pursuing the potential of any contracted project. One of these musts is found with the creation of a project quality plan. Planning and management is very important for any projects that matters, without proper planning and management it is very hard to finish the project smoothly.

Suelin23

Registered
I just bought the basic version of iMindmap, and the professional edition includes project management ability, gantt charts etc. You can also access your mind maps online (although I'm not sure if that also includes the project management part).