AI and GTD

ckennedy

Registered
Not sure if this addresses the question, but with Skedpal I can use a Kanban-style board to prioritize items on the fly. But even in the case where Skedpal does not get it exactly right, I can simply drag a task around on my calendar and pin it where I want it. Skedpal then reorganizes around it.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Not sure if this addresses the question, but with Skedpal I can use a Kanban-style board to prioritize items on the fly. But even in the case where Skedpal does not get it exactly right, I can simply drag a task around on my calendar and pin it where I want it. Skedpal then reorganizes around it.
Yes, these types of software are getting pretty good. But apart from important meetings, I don't like my calendar "telling me what to do when". There are so many nuances that I encounter on a daily basis that have an impact on what I decide to do. I like my ability to reason through this and listen to my inuition - that inner, small voice.

ckennedy

Registered
Yes, these types of software are getting pretty good. But apart from important meetings, I don't like my calendar "telling me what to do when". There are so many nuances that I encounter on a daily basis that have an impact on what I decide to do. I like my ability to reason through this and listen to my inuition - that inner, small voice.
Yes-makes perfect sense. However, I am noticing that I seem to procrastinate less when SP put something in front of me. If it's there it's usually for a good reason. I'm noticing my first aversive impulse, and as many times as not, just doing the task.
Sometimes my inner procrastinating rebel comes dressed as my intuition...

ivanjay205

Registered
I spent most of the morning thinking about an Important project I’ve been forced to neglect for the past week due to other important projects with deadlines. I had some useful and potentially important insights. I know how and why this works in GTD, but I really don’t understand how one can get similar results with automated scheduling. Any insight?
This is what I actually loved about AI. It doesnt have the human nature of procrastination. I typically find that I quickly go to my easy tasks vs my priority tasks. The AI takes that decision making out of the equation and says hey, you gotta work on this now and commit to it. No options, cannot see (on my calendar app anyway) other options. I found that I really started tackling it more.

My concern, and I use usemotion, was that I could not see everything at the 1000 foot level. I was committed to relying on the app which kind of scared me lol.

ivanjay205

Registered
As far as I know, AI is not at that point yet. I have tried this kind of scheduling not too long ago just as an experiment (I was curious...well, I am a scientist). I found it to be really frustrating. You have to set so many parameters on what should be scheduled first. My final assessment was that I was spending most of my time trying to get everything to work....instead of just doing my work....and using my own mind to decide what I need to do.
What did you use? I have to say I did usemotion and it wasnt perfect but it did get it fairly accurate to what I wanted. I found it so weak in project and high level management though in following with GTD. And it didnt understand not to stack recurring events on top of each other. For example I have a recurring task every friday to post my business schedule for hte next week to my team as I travel a lot. Well if next week I am traveling all week and it cant find a calendar slot it might have stuck a recurring task on my friday of this week since it couldnt find time

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
This is what I actually loved about AI. It doesnt have the human nature of procrastination. I typically find that I quickly go to my easy tasks vs my priority tasks. The AI takes that decision making out of the equation and says hey, you gotta work on this now and commit to it. No options, cannot see (on my calendar app anyway) other options. I found that I really started tackling it more.

My concern, and I use usemotion, was that I could not see everything at the 1000 foot level. I was committed to relying on the app which kind of scared me lol.
I actually don't think he was procrastinating. Thinking about a project and having important insights is a good thing to be doing.

ivanjay205

Registered
Yes-makes perfect sense. However, I am noticing that I seem to procrastinate less when SP put something in front of me. If it's there it's usually for a good reason. I'm noticing my first aversive impulse, and as many times as not, just doing the task.
Sometimes my inner procrastinating rebel comes dressed as my intuition...
I completely understand if you cannot do this for any confidential reasons but anyway you could grab a couple of screenshots and send to me either here or privately just to see how you are implementing GTD in it? That is what I am struggling with the AI tools

mcogilvie

Registered
I actually don't think he was procrastinating. Thinking about a project and having important insights is a good thing to be doing.
That’s correct. Right now I am juggling a handful of projects which are important and urgent (in Eisenhower matrix language), so projects which are important but not urgent have to be slipped in when I can. However, creative thinking is often better with a clear head and a flexible calendar; it’s hard to schedule insight. In this case, two hours of time gave me a sub-project to flesh out into actions, a next action, and a conjecture to explore. When I procrastinate, it’s usually because I am not clear about what doing looks like.

ckennedy

Registered
I think one way Skedpal helps me with this is if I decide, based on intuition, that an important, but not urgent task deserves my attention I would follow that path, despite what Skedpal is telling me. But I can rest assured that once I am done I can hit the Update button and Skedpal will rearrange my schedule to accommodate all of the upcoming deadlines and priorities.

So I often see it as less a tool that delivers me non-negotiable marching orders, but one that enables me to get "back on track" quickly after I meander (intentionally or not). Any tool that did not enable my creativity, reflection, and noodling would not last long in my toolkit.

ivanjay205

Registered
That’s correct. Right now I am juggling a handful of projects which are important and urgent (in Eisenhower matrix language), so projects which are important but not urgent have to be slipped in when I can. However, creative thinking is often better with a clear head and a flexible calendar; it’s hard to schedule insight. In this case, two hours of time gave me a sub-project to flesh out into actions, a next action, and a conjecture to explore. When I procrastinate, it’s usually because I am not clear about what doing looks like.
I do think your last point is dead on. I find that when I procrastinate it is because I made "too big of a chunk" to move something forward easily. Which equally could be translated to not clear and did not break it down enough. I take the one task and build the other 4 connected ones in my head. If I spell them out, I fly through them