Allen's three most useful products?

Eutychus

Registered
Of David Allen's products, including books, which are the three most useful in mastering and implementing the system?

I've been in this (largely due to this forum) for a bit less than a year now. It has been a roller coaster ride for me...but then getting me organized and productive is an unusually difficult task. For the first time in some years I have hope! I am curious. Which of David's products have been the most helpful to you?

Best wishes,

johnmcoulter

Registered
Assuming You Have the GTD Book

The book is the price of admission, as it were. Three most useful things for me beyond that are:

(1) GTD Add-In for Outlook. Not a David Allen product per se, but certainly within the scope of your question.

(2) Note Taker wallet. Capture capture capture.

(3) The folders. Any folders would work, but these are good to go once you open them. And they hold up to heavy use.

John

A

adam.buckeridge

The three most useful products I have used to date:
1) The GTD book
2) Getting things done Fast 8 cds audio collection
3) And the book gtd again :)

They gave me the rules for the system, the hard part for me was what tools best suit me to implement this system.

My three tools inc:
1) O2 XDA mini s pocket pc phone with pocket informant installed (I have mapped a key to allow one press enter task)
2) JELLO GTD outlook add on to give a nice over view of projects etc
3) Clear Context to help me clear my inbox etc.

Adam

TesTeq

Registered
My 3+3 most useful DavidCo products.

1. GTD Book.
  2. GTD Connect (teleseminars).
  3. NoteTaker Wallet.
  4. GTD File Folders.
  5. GTD and Outlook Whitepaper.
  6. RFA Book.

unstuffed

Registered
My top 3:

1) The book.
2) This forum.
3) The book.

In all seriousness, my journey through GTD has, thus far, gone like this...I read the book, and lo, I saw the GTD light. ;) I discovered the forum, and here I can access the skills and perspectives of a lot of GTDers, which is an incredibly valuable resource. And I'm continually re-reading the book and discovering more in it.

As for implementation, although I'm a geek, I use a low-tech system. Just because it's simple and quick, with no extra administrative overhead.

moises

Registered
unstuffed;48058 said:
My top 3:

1) The book.
2) This forum.
3) The book.

In all seriousness, my journey through GTD has, thus far, gone like this...I read the book, and lo, I saw the GTD light. ;) I discovered the forum, and here I can access the skills and perspectives of a lot of GTDers, which is an incredibly valuable resource. And I'm continually re-reading the book and discovering more in it.

As for implementation, although I'm a geek, I use a low-tech system. Just because it's simple and quick, with no extra administrative overhead.
My sentiments, almost exactly.

It's all in the book.

Having said that, this reminds me of a story that David Allen told, I think in the GTD Fast audio series (mine was on tape, so I can't listen to it easily). He wonders what he would do if there were a devastating disaster. He would try to get a pad of paper, a pen or pencil, some file folders, and a door.

He would put the door on sawhorses or file cabinets or anything he could get to make a desk. He would then make lists with his pen and paper. If he had folders, he'd keep his lists in folders.

GTD is about productivity. The most effective productive force is human knowledge. Imagine two science fiction scenarios. In one, the material workplaces are destroyed. The factories, offices, highways, stores are annihilated. But the knowledge remains in the brains of the populace and they rebuild.

In the second scenario, the material plant remains intact but the productive knowledge of the populace is wiped out by aliens with powerful mind control techniques. So, we would have people with prehistoric minds wandering a 21st Century landscape. It would take centuries for people to regain contemporary levels of productivity despite having all the tools readily at hand.

With knowledge, everything can be rebuilt. With only the material products, you have very little.

The core of GTD is the productive knowledge it gives the practitioner. The practitioner may lose her wallet, her PDA, her planner, her pen, and her paper. But if she retains her understanding of the method, she can rebuild everything eventually, even if she needs to start by chiseling lists in stone tablets.

Practical GTD knowledge cannot (IMHO) be acquired in a week. It takes months to acquire the understanding and the habits of GTD. And it's all in the book. But to sustain oneself over months, it helps to have the support of others. So this forum is a great help. Some people might be helped by having a coach to turn to every few weeks. In my view, there is no substitute for a careful study of the book. That means referring to the book many times over those first few months.

Please note that the thrust of my point is not that material things are unimportant, or that all we have to do to change the world is to change our ideas. I think that material products are very important. I think it is the basis of modern civilization (both what is good and bad in modern civilization). Ideas that are not materialized are impotent. But matter itself is inert unless there are knowledgeable people manipulating it. The most powerful productive force is productive knowledge. The most powerful David Allen Co. product is the knowledge of the GTD system contained in the GTD book.

Mark Jantzen

Registered
It's ...

The Book (workflow diagram)
The Notetaker Wallet (ubiquitous capture rules)
The Road Map seminar (Boston 2007 was excellent)
GTD Connect membership (audio interviews)

I borrowed an extra one on margin, sorry. I now have a working GTD system and actually do weekly reviews!

Mark

W

WebR0ver

Products
1. The Book
2. The Forum
3. The Old Tips and Tools

Ideas
1. Context lists
2. Tasks as placeholder
3. In-box to empty

Chad

Registered
1. The Book

2. Netcentrics Outlook Add-In.
After months of struggling, this made it suddenly all so easy, and allowed me to hit the ground running with an ease and effectiveness I had not imagined. It isn't a "perfect," integrated, all-in-one GTD solution...but I've found it to be perfectly effective in making it very easy and simple to do a big portion of GTD. I used to daydream about a perfect GTD system; no more: this is so good for me, that any better would be a really small incremental improvement.

3. The teleseminars on GTD Connect...on topics such as the Weekly Review and Horizons of Focus. These are saved as audio files on Connect, so you did not have to be there to hear them.

I look at it this way: if there's something that GTD recommends that I'm not doing well, whatever it costs to get me to do it is probably going to pay for itself in increased productivity within a couple of weeks to a couple of months. And that doesn't factor in the amount of stress it relieves, which is worth quite a bit on its own.

Eutychus

Registered
The book, the note taker wallet and the folders seem to be the favorites.

RFA has been looking at me as well. Connect keeps coming up. A little steep for me at the moment, but it's on my list.

Eutychus

Registered
I have to say this forum has been an indispensable encouragement. (I found it...and therefore GTD...by accident.)

My first 'bout I tried to do too much digitally. I am now down to a paper note taker...which I keep with me. some spreadsheets and a couple of dedicated file systems. It would be great if I could integrate it with my contact manager. However, organizing it an keeping it going is an issue. For right now I am trying to be as lean as possible.

Eutychus

Registered
moises...Just finished reading this exquisite essay to my wife. There is a lot more to think about than GTD in here!

I believe you are spot on about GTD. It isn't in the tools or in a rote obedience to a set of rules. It is in the approach and the skills you develop as you apply it.

I have grown a lot with just the book...and this forum.

Eutychus

Registered
"...an extra one on margin..."??

The weekly review seems to be the biggest weak spot for most of us. Congratulations!

Chad

Registered
Eutychus;48085 said:
Chad,

Did you have much experience with Outlook before using the Netcentric addon?

I had used Outlook for years for my email. I never used it for functions other than email, though.

I believe there is a 15 or 30 day free trial of the add-in software, if you're interested in seeing how well it works for you. It took me just a couple of hours of use to get a really good feel for it, but after that, it was a definite increase in productivity--even as I was, and am still, ever learning to get more out of it. Of course, if you don't already have access to Outlook, you'd need to decide if you wanted to invest in that, too.

Eutychus

Registered
I have outlook and use it only for email. I have not been happy with its other features, so I do not use it as a contact manager.

I have set up my contact manager, ACT!, to do some of this stuff, but got lost in it. I made it much to complicated. I decided to go the other direction...simple as possible until I got used to the GTD system. Then I think I will have another go.

I am not adverse to short cuts though.

Most of what I do revolves around individuals in my contact list.

How does it work for you. In other words, you go to work, fire up your computer...then what?

Eutychus

Registered
John, how does your Outlook add-on work for you? And which one is it?

I have asked this same question of Chad...

How does it work for you. In other words, you go to work, fire up your computer...then what?

Howard

Registered
Three best products

1. The Book: No point in trying to implement the system without properly understanding the why and the how. A recent review in the British magazine "Management Today" said that just holding the book will make you more organised.

2. This Forum: Not only is it a rich source of personal experiences from many, obviously accomplished people but when you post a problem or a question (as I have done), the quality and sincerity of the responses is overwhelming - even humbling.

3. GTD Outlook Add-In: If you live in Outlook this piece of software will enable you to easily adapt your previous working methods to a GTD oriented system. Exceptional value for all that it does.

By the way, the real best product is David Allen's years of thoughtful, tested experience which we are all now able to use and trust. True wisdom.