Another Request for Smartphone advice.

moomoo

Registered
Hi,

I'm hoping the great collective wisdom of the forum can give me a recommendation on a good smartphone. It's time for my sprint upgrade. Right now I have separate (crappy cheap) cell phone (samsung) and Tungsten E2. I run Ubuntu with evolution on my laptop. Here's what I need in a new phone/pda:

1. Calendar Task project lists similar to the E2
2. Reliable phone (my old phone with sprint was fine, but the samsung breaks up constantly. So I don't think my problems have anything to do with sprint but with the phone)
3. Digital voice recorder for quick capturing, or, voice capturing by phone but with long recording times (like more than 2 minutes while I er and umm)
4. Note pad and memos as with the E2.
5. Easy, reliable, faithful syncing with evolution (probably a tall order. I'm willing to change to firebird and jpilot, but would rather not if I can help it)

Email would be nice, but I'm coming around to the realization that I spend too much time over the course of the day checking it. If I could do it 24-7, I might never get anything else done, on the other hand so much of what I need to get done can be done through email (or is that my addiction providing a rationalization...?)

I like Palm OS, but it's been a bit problematic for me, and, I know, for many others as well.

Thank you in advance!!

Andre Kibbe

Registered
I use a Palm Centro myself. I've had brief stints with Windows Mobile phones, like the Sprint Touch, but have never like their menu-driven application launching, nor having multiple apps running in the background with my knowledge.

The Centro's nice because it's the same price and size as most feature phones (non-smartphones), but has all of the task management features you've come to expect from the Tungsten. YMMV, but I personally prefer the Centro's denser keyboard to that of the Treo, or any other smartphone available. I can't comment on Evolution compatibility, but IIRC, Firebird doesn't support categorized task lists for contexts, making it a nonstarter for GTD where I'm concerned.

As far as 24/7 email, I simply don't use the email functionality. Actually, I might check email on it two or three times a month in the rare event that I'm expecting some critical piece of information, but I basically treat the Centro as a hybrid phone-and-PDA.

dhlesq

Registered
Stoney;58516 said:
Palm Centro

I don't use the Centro, because I am a PocketPC guy, but based on your comfort wih Palm, I have to agree with the Centro.

Several business associates use it and love it.

It has the advantage of not requiring you to change your GTD implementation at all. This is a huge time and stress savings. It also is very inexpensive as smartphones go.

David

rdgeorge

Registered
It is very fashionable and hip these days to bash Palm Treo's, but I bought a Treo 755p for Verizon Wireless, and lived to tell! I had one reset since early January 2008. Synch works fine, and I have the updated 6.X version of the Palm for Desktop.

I suppose I should throw it away and buy a Crackberry, just to fit in with the crowd. It works for me, however. It has full Palm functionality, a touch screen, and the well-lit keypad can be seen in dim light.

rdgeorge

funkym

Registered
I believe Palm is a dying platform :(

The Centro was not that bad but it seems to be not innovative enough to compete with others.

.oO(sorry for being a bit off topic here :))

moomoo

Registered
Thank you to all who weighed in. I went with the palm centro. I'm charging it now, but after playing with it in the store a bit, I was sold. Tomorrow I'm going to try to sync it with evolution and see what happens. If the sync is even as good as with my pda, then I'm a happy man.

I hope that palm os doesn't go away. On the other hand, maybe palm will go with linux..... :)

dal1mdm

Registered
T-Mobile Shadow

I've had one for a month and it rocks. Its Windows based and T-Mobile is very generous about unlock codes. I use it for my work with an ATT sim card. Very easy to use and robust. I like it because it fits in my pocket and I dont have to wear it on the belt case (geek factor).

rdgeorge

Registered
I should point out that funkym has a vested, self-serving interest in pushing a point of view. I have no vested interest at all in my view. When David Allen decides to abandon the Palm platform and buy a Crackberry, I will do the same.

rdgeorge

TesTeq

Registered
Being David Allen.

rdgeorge;58629 said:
When David Allen decides to abandon the Palm platform and buy a Crackberry, I will do the same.

Have you sold your Mini Cooper? David has sold his already.

andersons

Registered
so what?

funkym;58570 said:

The Centro was not that bad but it seems to be not innovative enough to compete with others.

It really doesn't matter if the Palm is a dying platform. One can still get years of good use out of a device that's no longer the new thing.

dhlesq

Registered
funkym;58570 said:

When it comes to the tools we use for GTD, innovative new systems are a time-sink.

I don't use Palm personally, but if someone is using it, and if it is working for their system, then there is really no reason to change.

No system is forever, and there may come a day when Palm is no longer supported, or no longer works for them. In my opinion, that will be the time to change systems. Until then, changing for the sake of change is wasted effort.

I use PocketPC, and it is probably not the best platform from a technology point of view. However, I've been using it long enough that my GTD system works well within it. And that's really the goal, isn't it?

David