Any advice on organizing digital files?

pnevin

Registered
harringg;78541 said:
Prior to stumbling onto GTD, I used DevonThink Pro Office (still do). Now that I've got a better grasp on the GTD concept, it's a great tool in conjunction with GTD.

This. The software has excellent OCR capabilities, and makes a superb digital filing cabinet.

smithshn

Registered
There is a thing that an evernote has a maximum number of notebooks as they tagging into the structure stuff.
But I preferred tagging to the folders are very useful and important for it.

Noel

Registered
Comments in Spotlight.

There is a fundamental difference between organizing physical items vs digital ones, for physical ones you are the one doing the searching. Electronic ones should be searched by the computer. Having said that, this distinction breaks down when the computer isn't very good at finding files. On the Mac I find that Spotlight is pretty good at finding files. You can also improve the quality of the searches by doing Get Info on a file and adding a comment in the Spotlight comments. When I save the files I tend to put them in an appropriately named folder but this is more of a habit instead of something that helps me find the file later. As for Evernote, I tend to use that to store text notes at I create and not for storing files.
So in short I would say don't spend your time organizing files into folders, instead invest that time looking for something that does a decent jobs of finding files for you, such as Spotlight or Google Desktop.

mmoorhouse

Registered
Although I still have not found the ideal product for organizing my digital files....I have found a great tool for e-mail - XOBNI. I use the professional version.

jpm

Registered
Tags and Smart folders on OS X

tm_meier;78913 said:
I put the tags in the file name after a couple of disastrous experiences with apps that save tags in Spotlight metadata. Since Apple doesn't support tagging in Spotlight, these programs have to come up with creative hacks. The hacks work most of the time, but I've lost too much tag data to say they're worth the trouble. Tags in file names don't mysteriously disappear, and they're preserved when you copy a file to a different system running a different OS.

I've been experimenting with tags and Smart folders and so far have had pretty good luck. What tagging software were you using and what sort of problems have you had?

GTDerEvan

Registered
I've used a nested folder system on my Macbook Pro, and within the last six months have had that file system within my Dropbox folder. Now all of these files and folders are accessible on any computer I use regularly, on the web, and even on my iPhone - all automatically synced, but still with the simplicity of plain folders on my primary computer.

If you need a tagging system due to the overwhelming mass of digital "stuff", I too would recommend Evernote. I'm looking to learn to take better advantage of it as well.

Cheers,

steveinbristol

Registered
photodiva;78553 said:
I picked up this tip in this forum somewhere along the line, I think. I have created 5 folders that sit on my desktop:

0. Inbox
1. Actions
2. Review
3. Current Projects
4. Archive

I use the inbox to collect email attachments that come in, etc. From there, I can process/clarify by moving things to either Actions or Review or Current Projects (which is a collection of folders for projects I'm working on now). Archive is an A-Z set of folders - like a big digital filing cabinet.

Periodically all of these folders require purging if I don't stay on top of them, but at least the digital mess is contained in 5 folders :)

I also use Evernote to store notes and reference items.

That is so cool! I've now adopted it in my system with a slight amendment. I like to keep all data files under my data directory for back-up, so I've made those folders in my data folder and place short-cuts on my desk-top. Thanks!

jpm

Registered
chipjoyce;78718 said:
I name things in the David Allen way: the way something makes sense so I can find it easily.

Strangely this never works for me... Every time I can't find something, I think where did I file that, and I recall that I remember consciously filing it in a place that made sense so that I wouldn't lose it... but I can't remember where that place was....

I think next time, I'll try to find a place to file important things in a location I'll never be able to remember, maybe that will work...

Oogiem

Registered
jpm;79322 said:
Every time I can't find something, I think where did I file that, and I recall that I remember consciously filing it in a place that made sense so that I wouldn't lose it... but I can't remember where that place was....

What I've done in those cases is when I do finally find the item, often by a sequential search through the files, I make a new file with the name the place I first looked for it but I also leave the old file in the place where it was with a single note inside that points to the new location. Once a year I clean out my pointer files. Now at any given time I only have 3-4 pointer files in my physical filing system.

JohnV474

Registered
File naming and folder structure

I have a few hundred thousand files that I need to keep for various reasons.

The most useful tool I have found is to have a folder structure that you can trust. It must be fast, intuitive, consistent, and current.

The second most useful tool I have found is to use consistent file names. The worst is when a person has multiple half-attempted file naming schemes all mixed together.

I find it helpful to separate Inbox items from Project-related and Reference items. I find it helpful to separate Projects from Reference, so Reference information doesn't throw everything off.

Desktop searches work pretty well, but if it does not work, then you are stuck. If you have a good file folder setup and a good file naming setup, then the desktop searches will make you lightning fast.

I think Bit Literacy's file naming scheme (or some variant) is as good as I've found.

JohnV474

richardtgray

Registered
We all have a lot lost files. It's really very hard to organize specially when there are a lot of them already and I can relate to that much. :-(
All I do now is slowly organize them by folders and group them according to their function or category.
So far so good... :D

F

fivefingers

I also use Evernote to store notes and reference items.

tsalley

Registered
I am in the process of taming my digital file monster. I've got 1.5 TB of "stuff".

In a lot of ways you can deal with digital stuff the same way you did physical stuff when you started GTD.

1. DUMP IT ALL IN A PILE. Now you could literally put everything in one big file to sort from. I just decided to go through everything systematically. When I complete a folder now, I mark it (i) for inventoried.

2. THROW THINGS AWAY. Seriously, most of us are connected to the web 24/7. Most things are available to us when we want it. I used to save all kinds of garbage that I never use. There also needs to be a plan to review items on a regular basis.

3. Establish some kind of mental system that works for you. Spend enough time thinking this through that you don't realize halfway through that it is not going to work.

. Establish a digital inbox to park documents until you can review them and put the required thought into where they go and how they are labeled.

Some people consider nested folders the enemy. I don't much mind them , I just got tired of clicking 10 folders (no lie) to get to a file. I established a naming system to help with that.

Search is your friend. When I trained myself to use this it was a miracle. Why not let the PC do the work for you?

If you use multiple PCs (or Macs), Dropbox is awesome. It has changed my life. I've been able to ditch my USB I used to leave everywhere.

Johnhds

Registered
I go through my files at the end of each week. Check each folder and purge non-useful files. Non-usefu files are the ones I have not used or opened in several weeks. I check the file and delete it. I will then make new folders if necessary and title them "Read-Important".

I also use CC cleaner to get rid of unwanted files and registries to keep the computer clean and running.

Oogiem

Registered
Johnhds;80133 said:
Non-usefu files are the ones I have not used or opened in several weeks.

I'm really curious about this. If I used the criteria of only things I've references in a few weeks I'd be deleting huge amounts of critical info!

I have many files that I only use or reference once a year or so but they are critical when I do need them. I also use digital storage for many archive file things like scanned tax returns and statements.

How do you handle archive items like tax returns and broker statements that may be digital but must be kept for 7-10 years? I rarely need them but if I do I will really need them.

bardamu

Registered
Setup on Mac

Hi all,

Just thought as jumped in as I'm in the latest and so far most agreeable (to me) incarnation of my e-filing system. I have a regular GTD physical folder system + tickler (must get back to using the latter) otherwise.

I'm on a MacBook Pro + iPhone + iPad (wifi), and sometimes PC access on the net from school (aka work).

Main GTD system: OmniFocus Mac + iPhone (expecting iPad soon!). After going back and forth, it now seems like the most solid (trusted!) option for my needs.

Being a software hog, I complement OF with:

- TaskPaper Mac + iPhone/iPad for my higher horizons of focus (anything above runway/projects). Syncs beautifully. Recently switched to completely flat setup on OF with only projects and actions, and I love the clean separation.

- The forum's own Todd's Ready-Set-Do! scripts (which allowed a while back my first complete electronic implementation of a true GTD system). I use them selectively, they're linked in my OF tasks for weekly/daily reviews, e.g. the "Empty (files) inbox" script. I'm thus mostly keeping the folder structure of the Finder established by RSD - which itself follows a simple GTD hierarchy. I haven't misplaced anything stored locally since I've introduced that. My email setup mirrors this hierarchy, while implementing the best practices from DA's WhitePaper on GTD in Entourage (although I've migrated back to Apple Mail since).

- RSD scripts also manage most of my PDF/powerpoints "read/review" on the Mac: I haven't found a better option for this (and I have lots of such reading to do).

- Following good advice from the folks over on the Omni forums, I've recently switched my pure text notes to Notational Velocity (free) on the Mac syncing with SimpleNote on iPad and iPhone (also free). Syncs as swiftly as TaskPaper and WriteRoom. Search capacity is beautifully simple.

- Anything that's more than just text and needs to be accessible across platform (which is pretty much everything), I throw in Evernote.

- I've recently started experimenting with Shoeboxed... Haven't seen how their scanning looks yet, but if it's good, that's going to make me happy: there's great satisfaction in throwing all business cards, receipts, etc. into one big enveloppe when emptying one's physical inbox, and knowing that it's just going to go over to an electronic format where it can be tagged for easy retrieval while not taking up useless space (Shoeboxed also links to Evernote).

Oh, and I keep my checklists in OmniFocus, although not the most pleasing experience yet (it should be easier with version 2.0), it's still very workable and convenient.

Cheers!