Anybody heard of ToodleDo?

nanotech

Registered
Anybody heard of ToodleDo?...or for that matter, what about Ta-da List, Todoist, Nozbe, voo2do, or Vitalist? (found out about all those through toodledo's software comparison chart)

I read through the features that ToodleDo has and it looks pretty amazing, I wanted to know what you guys thought of it and see if anybody over here was using it or had tried it but didn't like it, etc.?

I am very interested in knowing your opinions, thanks!

comparison to other software:
http://www.toodledo.com/info/compare.php

list of features:
http://www.toodledo.com/info/details.php#customization

jasonswank

Registered
I've been using toodledoo for a few months now and it has been a lifesaver. It can be as simple or as robust as you want it. Its particularly great for iphone users. I was looking for a good GTD app to use with my iPhone and this is it. No syncing required because its all web based. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

nanotech

Registered
man I have an HTC touch...motorola razr-sized 2.8" touchscreen phone w/ windows mobile 6 and many other features. I decided on this after much research for the best device for me (I had to have something very small..didnt care much for keyboard)

..and now, everytime I look at my brother's iphone...I can't help but be mesmerized by its screen, so big and bright and the user interface is so cool!

anyway, enough about the iphone, would you say toodledo + iphone (discount all other coolness of iphone for a moment) is better than pocket informant and HTC touch?....as far as usability, etc?

jasonswank

Registered
Yes. I was a Palm user for years, and now I can't think of a better GTD implementation device + software than iPhone + toodledoo. There really is no comparison between an iPhone and other "smart phones." The iPhone is fast, intuitive, and as of February, quite customizable with the forthcoming 3rd party applications.

mcogilvie

Registered
Remember the Milk

nanotech;55159 said:
Anybody heard of ToodleDo?...or for that matter, what about Ta-da List, Todoist, Nozbe, voo2do, or Vitalist? (found out about all those through toodledo's software comparison chart)

I read through the features that ToodleDo has and it looks pretty amazing, I wanted to know what you guys thought of it and see if anybody over here was using it or had tried it but didn't like it, etc.?

I am very interested in knowing your opinions, thanks!

I looked at all the web todo lists you list, and a few others, before settling on Remember the Milk (RTM). ToodleDo was my 2nd-place finisher. I think Remember the Milk and ToodleDo are significantly better than the others, and the only ones I would recommend.

ToodleDo is easier to start with, but the web interface requires constant mousing. RTM is more powerful, but there is a small learning curve with keyboard shortcuts and smart lists. I think RTM's iPhone interface is better than ToodleDo's, but both are quite usable.

nanotech

Registered
mcogilvie;55182 said:
I looked at all the web todo lists you list, and a few others, before settling on Remember the Milk (RTM). ToodleDo was my 2nd-place finisher. I think Remember the Milk and ToodleDo are significantly better than the others, and the only ones I would recommend.

ToodleDo is easier to start with, but the web interface requires constant mousing. RTM is more powerful, but there is a small learning curve with keyboard shortcuts and smart lists. I think RTM's iPhone interface is better than ToodleDo's, but both are quite usable.

wow, thanks, that was very informative...like I said I have read through all of toodledo's features and I am going to read through the remember the milk stuff soon.

How would you compare ToodleDo & RTM with Pocket Informant? I have it on my pda but rarely use it (just read GTD for the first time a couple of weeks ago). It seems to be quite powerful and extremely customizable...but not really easy to use, I use it along with Pocket Breeze as my today screen on my pocket pc.

I would appreciate to know anybody's thoughts on this, thanks in advance!

mcogilvie

Registered
nanotech;55215 said:
How would you compare ToodleDo & RTM with Pocket Informant? I have it on my pda but rarely use it (just read GTD for the first time a couple of weeks ago). It seems to be quite powerful and extremely customizable...but not really easy to use, I use it along with Pocket Breeze as my today screen on my pocket pc.

I would appreciate to know anybody's thoughts on this, thanks in advance!

I've never had a pocket pc so I shouldn't comment. Remember the Milk has a MilkSync feature for pocket pc's that might be of interest to you, though.

nanotech

Registered
I wonder if when synced to a pocket pc, toodledo, rtm, and mlo all just show up within pocket outlook.

still wondering...

toodledo + iphone
rtm + iphone

or any of the above with pocket pc (i wonder how that would look?)
or pocket informant with pocket pc

nanotech

Registered
Ok I think I have figured out a little more about this.

First of all, RTM when synchronized with a pocket pc doesn't really synchronize every aspect of a task. You would end up using your pocket pc task manager from there forward (Pocket Informant or Outlook or whatever).

However, it seems that RTM for iphone is actually software that is installed on the iphone so you get the full real RTM on the iphone instead of a simple, synchronized version of it on your native PIM software on a pocket pc. But I need to double check this, is this true for all of you who use RTM + iPhone??

If so, it seems that RTM + iPhone would be better than RTM + pocketPC. Additionally, it seems that RTM has several ways to update tasks, etc. Is it true that I could have RTM on my iphone and add a new task, and then a few minutes later, log on to my google homepage and update the task there, and later when I am checking my email on gmail, click, "task finished" and all of it is always updated with each other? Or can I just use one interface only?

I am just worried about what would happen if RTM and ToodleDo go out of business....we would have to re-learn everything in a different program...didn't some other task mgmt company just do this? They can get away with this it seems because its a "beta" version.

Anyway, both ToodleDo and RTM seem a lot more user-friendly than Pocket Informant...though for Pocket Informant it could be because they try to cram it on a small 2.8" screen.

If RTM cannot be simultaneously updated from a variety of different services then it would be pretty much like ToodleDo.

mcogilvie

Registered
nanotech;55350 said:
Ok I think I have figured out a little more about this. First of all, RTM when synchronized with a pocket pc doesn't really synchronize every aspect of a task. You would end up using your pocket pc task manager from there forward (Pocket Informant or Outlook or whatever).
Yes, like a palm or ppc synced to outlook.
However, it seems that RTM for iphone is actually software that is installed on the iphone so you get the full real RTM on the iphone instead of a simple, synchronized version of it on your native PIM software on a pocket pc. But I need to double check this, is this true for all of you who use RTM + iPhone??
Technically, with RTM you are using a web application whether you use it on the iPhone or on a desktop or laptop, so it is not really installed. The regular web interface can do a bit more in terms of editing settings, but the special iphone interface is fairly complete.

If so, it seems that RTM + iPhone would be better than RTM + pocketPC. Additionally, it seems that RTM has several ways to update tasks, etc. Is it true that I could have RTM on my iphone and add a new task, and then a few minutes later, log on to my google homepage and update the task there, and later when I am checking my email on gmail, click, "task finished" and all of it is always updated with each other? Or can I just use one interface only?
Yes, you can view and update your data from anywhere you can get to the internet, in multiple ways. Local copies aside, the data resides on the RTM server. You can input new tasks from a web page, from within google calendar or gmail, or by email, Jott, and more. You can view your tasks in multiple ways too. I regularly go between four different devices. No need to sync or anything. Of course, you are completely dependent on the web being there. In a hurricane Katrina situation, I would recommend moving to your emergency back-up Hipster PDA. :)

I am just worried about what would happen if RTM and ToodleDo go out of business....we would have to re-learn everything in a different program...didn't some other task mgmt company just do this? They can get away with this it seems because its a "beta" version.
Could happen with microsoft too ;), but that's just the nature of things. But your GTD system doesn't have to have the longevity of long-term reference files.

Anyway, both ToodleDo and RTM seem a lot more user-friendly than Pocket Informant...though for Pocket Informant it could be because they try to cram it on a small 2.8" screen.

If RTM cannot be simultaneously updated from a variety of different services then it would be pretty much like ToodleDo.

Actually, both RTM and ToodleDo can be simultaneously updated from a variety of services. I think the main difference is that the people behind RTM are really quite good, and have built in a lot of features that are well thought out. Examples: the smart list functionality or the individual list feeds. But YMMV, and I think you can use either RTM or ToodleDo successfully.

If the question is really ppc or iPhone, then you have a whole different set of questions.

nanotech

Registered
Well I finally tried RTM yesterday and used MilkSync to sycnrhonize everything with my pocket pc. It seems that RTM + Pocket Informant may work well for me. I thought long and hard about the iphone but I dont want to pay $60/mo to cingular to be able to use it...plus I use about 2000 minutes a month talking to other tmobile customers and another 2000 min per month during the day/night/weekends....so in reality, I might end up paying close to $150/mo for the convenience of the iphone after I count all those minutes (not to mention that the other tmobile users won't be too happy that I swithced and am no longer mobile-to-mobile (they are mostly family and close friends))

The other way, which my bro and a friend are doing right now is to unlock the iphone and then use it on tmobile...but they are always constantly on forums trying to make sure to get the latest update without freezing up the iphone and I don't really want to mess with all that.

Additionally, the pocket pc I do have, the HTC Touch is not really that bad, main thing that I like about iPhone is the much larger screen (3.5" vs 2.8"), much better user interface compared to WM6, and the "optimized for iPhone" feature of RTM....but then my Touch is the size of a razr and is very versatile since its windows.

So, in the end, and I hope this works out...its Touch + Pocket Informant + RTM for me and I will probably end up using Jott and google gears and stuff too to keep everything up-to-date.

Thanks for you input!