Anyone use Backpack?

O

oaklandcubsfan

I have signed up for a demo version of Backpack (www.backpackit.com) and was wondering if anyone else is using it to assist or supplement GTD methodologies.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

J

jaythebull

Backpack has been a huge help to me on the path to GTD goodness. I do GTD just about 100% via the web now. I found about about http://www.trumba.com as well and use it for my callendar/tickler. Backpack and Trumba have delt a 1 - 2 punch on helping me get on board with GTD. Good luck with it.

O

oaklandcubsfan

I haven't spent much time playing with Backpack yet, so I'm not really all that clear on how it works. (It's one of those chicken and egg things--I don't want to invest the time to learn it if it won't be useful but I won't know if it can be useful unless I invest the time. :) :) ). Would you be willing to describe how you use it?

Thanks in advance....

J

jaythebull

Sure be glad to. I have my next action lists in there. Have some pages dedicated to Work such as Goals and Visions/Projects. I have some sections dedicated to other things such as Diet/Fitness. Gift Ideas for other people. Some Day Maybe list. Books I would like to read list. Have another page titled House Hunting since we are looking for a house I can keep notes in here and share the page out to my wife to view. I pretty much use it as a collection point for misc info I find also. It's really a great tool if you can give it some time.

A big complaint I have heard is that it is just too free-form. Some like that and some don't. Give it a try. At the basic plan you get enough to play around witih for just a few dollars a month.

A

avrum68

And if you wake up, and there's a power failure...then what? Guess that's why I can't imagine any system other than:

a) Palm/Pocket PC
b) Pen and paper

In case of power failures or areas w/o WIFI or an internet connection.

J

jaythebull

I guess I just don't worry about that much. I back it all up once a week - good enough for me. Backpack allows you to dump everything to an xml file. We could sit here and play "what if" all day long I guess. It's just what you are comfortable with.

A

avrum68

jaythebull said:
I guess I just don't worry about that much. I back it all up once a week - good enough for me. Backpack allows you to dump everything to an xml file. We could sit here and play "what if" all day long I guess. It's just what you are comfortable with.

Don't get me wrong, I've forwarded the site to my biz partner since we work from seperate environments. I could see many advantages of a "home based" to do list, etc for our situation. But for my day to day shtick...I don't know, one bad storm and I'd be full of curses. Cool service though.

tfadams

Registered
For me the problem w/ using Backpack for GTD is that it's not portable enough. When I have a strong cell signal, I can access it well enough on my Pocket PC phone; but if not, I'm stuck. So that means I have to (remember to) print out lists in case I am not able to access Backpack from wherever I am (i.e. the parking lot of Home Depot :) )

Backpack works great when used from work or home, but the beauty of GTD with a PDA is always having your info with you when you're away from a "main" computer.

On the plus side, it's pretty cool to be able to get to the site from anywhere with a good 'Net connection.

J

jaythebull

avrum68 said:
Don't get me wrong, I've forwarded the site to my biz partner since we work from seperate environments. I could see many advantages of a "home based" to do list, etc for our situation. But for my day to day shtick...I don't know, one bad storm and I'd be full of curses. Cool service though.

It definately has it's pluses and minuses for sure. I have a Dell Axiom but just could never fully get in to it. I may give it another go...who knows!

remyc88

Registered
Yeah, Backpack wasn't portable enough for me to effectively use as well.

But I do currently use their other app, Basecamp, to manage some of my projects.

It works well w/ smaller projects, but if you have a large project, you'll need something better.