App for Outlook Tasks Sync for iPhone via Exchange 2010

hwinter

Registered
I'm sponsoring an on-site GTD training at my company, including an Outlook implementation session. I am looking for a good app that will let iPhone user-participants sync their Outlook 2007 tasks with full functionality (categories, etc.). I can see that there is some basic sync with the native Reminders app, but it doesn't seem rich enough to be a full Next Action and Project list manager. [This is an area I know little about since I am a devoted OmniFocus user.]

TaskTask is out because our company server only works with Basic and NTLM authentication, not the Negotiate authentication required by TaskTask. Reviews of IMExchange2 indicate that it doesn't work with Exchange 2010, which is what we are on. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm trying to find a great solution so that none of the potential GTD converts are put off by technical issues!

Thanks so much!

hwinter

Registered
PeterW;104747 said:
Take a look at Appigo's 'Todo Exchange Tasks'.

http://www.appigo.com/todo-exchange

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I did some research on Todo Exchange Tasks and it seems that it does not sync the type of Task that is created by flagging an email for follow-up. This seems like a major limitation for our organization, so I would be open to additional suggestions!

Thanks again.

PeterW

Registered
hwinter;104765 said:
I did some research on Todo Exchange Tasks and it seems that it does not sync the type of Task that is created by flagging an email for follow-up. This seems like a major limitation for our organization, so I would be open to additional suggestions!
Understood. You might want to consider whether that Outlook functionality is beneficial to those you are training. For example while it displays the email in the Task list, it doesn't give the user an opportunity to define what must be done so it's probably not ideal in terms of GTD methodology.

A better approach may be to drag the email to the Task module and create a proper task that can be defined.

hwinter

Registered
PeterW;104779 said:
Understood. You might want to consider whether that Outlook functionality is beneficial to those you are training. For example while it displays the email in the Task list, it doesn't give the user an opportunity to define what must be done so it's probably not ideal in terms of GTD methodology.

A better approach may be to drag the email to the Task module and create a proper task that can be defined.

A great point! This is the sort of nuance I am not aware of since I use OmniFocus. I absolutely agree that requiring the user to write a crisp Next Action for the task is the way to go. In fact, it is probably a blessing that Appigo won't sync the flagged emails as it forces that discipline.

I downloaded the app and, thank heavens, it managed to sync some dummy tasks between my iphone and Outlook. I went to add it to my iPad and learned that it is an iphone-size app only. Oh well, I guess we can squint. More problematic was that the same account info that worked for the iPhone did not work to make the iPad sync. Does anyone know whether this is expected (e.g. iPads don't work at all, or you can only have one mobile device syncing back to Outlook) or if I should be able to get it going on both devices?

Thanks

PeterW

Registered
Hi,

That's intriguing. I use the regular (non-Exchange) versions of Appigo Todo on my iPhone, iPad, Mac and the web and all devices sync happily using the same account credentials. I'd be surprised if this wasn't the same for the Exchange version but I guess anything is possible.

Appigo Support should be able to help. You can log a ticket with their website or use their Facebook page - they're generally fairly prompt at responding. Good luck.

LizH

Registered
Using iMexchange2

iMexchange2 works fine with Outlook 2010 for us. I have a IPhone 4S. Even the categories sync now :)

Tim McIntyre

Registered
hwinter;104746 said:
I'm sponsoring an on-site GTD training at my company, including an Outlook implementation session. I am looking for a good app that will let iPhone user-participants sync their Outlook 2007 tasks with full functionality (categories, etc.). I can see that there is some basic sync with the native Reminders app, but it doesn't seem rich enough to be a full Next Action and Project list manager. [This is an area I know little about since I am a devoted OmniFocus user.]

TaskTask is out because our company server only works with Basic and NTLM authentication, not the Negotiate authentication required by TaskTask. Reviews of IMExchange2 indicate that it doesn't work with Exchange 2010, which is what we are on. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'm trying to find a great solution so that none of the potential GTD converts are put off by technical issues!

Thanks so much!

I am no expert but the TaskTask Manual (accessed from the iPhone app ) seems to contradict what you are saying, and that Basic or NTLM are supported, but Negotiate is not supported.

"For Exchange 2007 and Exchange 2010 Servers:

For automatic account configuration, autodiscover published using the DNS naming scheme (autodiscover.yourdomain.com)
Exchange Web Services enabled and published (if not using autodiscover, it must be published in the default virtual directory, /ews)
Authentication: Basic (plain text) or Windows Integrated Authentication (NTLM)
With Exchange 2010: Some servers are configured to only support “Negotiate” auth. TaskTask is not compatible with this setting and requires either Basic or NTLM authentication to be specifically enabled."

I have used TaskTask for a while now on my company's Exchange 2007 system and Exchange 2003 before that. One of the features I like is the support of Task Folders, which is also supported in the Reminders native app ( iPhone 4S IOS 6.1 ).

MS Outlook EX sync iPad/iPhone

Hi,
may I come in this thread with my problem? My company does not allow any connection between an app and the MS Outlook Exchange profile. I tried this with ToDo EX and failed. So I can just sync with iOs on board task list. Not the best - but a solution.

Now a new problem appears: A simple sync between iOs and the MS Ex Outlook profile does not sync the embedded or attached mails within the different tasks. So I start again: Is there a solution or a sync app which can do all the thing GTD wants me to and which is not phoning to the company's server?

Many thanks, Sebastian