Apple Calendar and Reminders integration

David Parker

GTD Connect
It’s rumoured that iOS 18 and macOS 15, due later this year, will integrate the Calendar and Reminders apps so that Reminders can be created directly in the Calender app.

Fantastical has this already, but I think the implementation is poor. Fantastical does not support the new features of Reminders introduced in the last few years. I prefer the approach of several 3rd party apps, such as Omnifocus and Things, which show and link calendar events within a daily task list.

The Apple Insider report also suggests AI integration is coming for both Calendar and Reminders. Fantastical has a parser which is supposed to allow you to, for example, lift text like “The program review will be in room 120 at 10 AM Tuesday” and have the event or reminder created for you. In practice, I have found it more trouble than it’s worth and I don’t use it, preferring Apple’s more limited tool. New things are undoubtedly coming. All things bright and shiny, all features great and small….

All things bright and shiny, all features great and small….
@mcogilvie As I look at the Apple's software development path I see a lot of tensions and the lack of vision. They implement new functionalities that duplicate (instead of replacing) existing functionalities – a total lack of designers' self-confidence.

And Reminders? I think someone at Apple noticed that the design is below average (aka "dead end") and decided to cancel it (aka "integrate with calendar").

And Reminders? I think someone at Apple noticed that the design is below average (aka "dead end") and decided to cancel it (aka "integrate with calendar").

It looks to me like Apple is generally much better at hardware and OS/library design than end-user software, as if there is an A team and a B team. Reminders looks like two different B teams at war. My guess is that they don’t want to cannibalise 3rd-party sales in their app stores too much, but do want to look more appealing than Outlook. So I predict some sort of bolted-on additional functionality. At least it will work across all platforms, which is more than Microsoft seems to be able to manage.

...and now it's here. And it looks like a useful integration.

The problem with Apple Reminders is that a task and a reminder are two very different things. And the app somehow implements this weird hybrid / bastard entity. So the timestamp (wether it's a date or specific time) of a reminder seem to be a reminder time, and not a task availability time (or even a start time). Which makes it much less useful than it could have been.

Hello everyone. I have been practicing GTD since 20+ years on many different tools ranging from paper, excel to Omnifocus and since many years I am a very happy user of Apple Reminders. It’s always available to me on iOS and it is extremely easy to perform (the critical) weekly reviews on my Macintosh. I also use as a capture tool (in a dedicated “inbox” list) on my different devises using Siri, including my homepods at home. Many useful but simple features have been developed over the past years such as tags and I think there is much more to come with AI. Inhave not tested yet but integration with calendar seems also a good improvement to have on overall view of your hard landscape. For me reminder is enough for 80% of GTD practitioners. Less is more!

Well, Apple did integrate reminders into the list view of calendar
the one I use all of the time
and what a cluttered mess
Stuff I don't want to see until a certain date now shows up in my calendar when I am looking at the hard landscape.

As far as I can tell, it cannot be disabled.
Ugh.

I'm going to live with it a while, but I have more of an impetus to migrate to Proton Calendar.

Clayton.

Well, Apple did integrate reminders into the list view of calendar
the one I use all of the time
and what a cluttered mess
Stuff I don't want to see until a certain date now shows up in my calendar when I am looking at the hard landscape.

As far as I can tell, it cannot be disabled.
Ugh.

I'm going to live with it a while, but I have more of an impetus to migrate to Proton Calendar.

Clayton.
Open the calendars pane and uncheck "scheduled reminders" under the "other section." Also under the view tab you can uncheck "show completed reminders." This will return your calendar to what it was before.

uncheck "scheduled reminders"
Thank you for this. Later that day, I had taken a second look and found the option.
At the time that I wrote the above post, I had already gone to the calendars selection and didn't find it.
Trying to figure out how I missed it the first time, so I looked at Mac OS - it's there, - iOS it's there, iPadOS it isn't there. I'm glad that setting is synchronized between iOS and iPadOS. It is not synchronized to my MacStudio.

I will say that I frequently ask Siri in the car to read my appointments. After the update, it said I had 9 appointments and read them in batches of 4, asking if I want to hear the next 4, I said yes and after reading those, it said do you want to hear the last 3?
I had two actual calendar appointments.

Glad it can be disabled.

Thanks for your help,
Clayton.

Do not lean into despair. Lean into finding what you can do to bring about better outcomes.
Don’t agonize; organize.

Integrating Apple Calendar with Reminders enhances productivity by streamlining task management and scheduling, allowing users to stay organized and efficient in their daily lives. This integration is a game-changer for those seeking a seamless workflow!

Not a huge leap forward to be honest. Certainly not enough to replace fantastical, despite being free. Its a shame because Notes has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years and Reminders has had quite a few updates. But Calendar seems to barely get one new feature a year, and its never particularly well done.

I think Calendar is ok, and the integration between Calendar and Reminders is good. I’m not using Reminders because I can’t find a good workflow. In particular, I use start dates quite a bit, and I’ve only found clumsy solutions.