Areas of Focus

alevici

Registered
Hello everyone, i have implemented the GDT methodology recently. In the last weeks i felt the need to improve and work ore on Focus area and Horizons levels.
I would like to include the Focus areas because i have 2/3 big projects to keep task together but i fell they are more focus areas. So i wonder how i can clear my mind if treating them in a war in another. The other is more technical: do you link area of focus in your project and task, just in project or never?
I use Microsoft To Do to for my action list and to funnel my inboxes: i link task to project (and other things i have in ToDo) using tags. Do someone id ToDo as unique software to manage task and project list?
Any comment is welcome!

Last edited:

ivanjay205

Registered
I try to generalize areas of focus. I go back and forth having a lot of a little... As of today I am on not a lot but I am not sure that is working well for me. So right now I have Business, Business-Clients, Personal, Home Maintenance, and Home Finances

I start my business day in the business-client section making sure I am hitting anything related to clients first, after that business which is my internal business stuff. The personal stuff I have setup and is pretty self explanatory. I attach my "projects" to each so that when I am working on my client related stuff I only see client related projects, etc. I use Nirvana for this.

My debate is on splitting up business. At one point I tried using 5 different subcategories for each day of the week. Since I am a COO I have activities all over the place, figured Monday could be my leadership related day, Tuesday my corporate finance, wednesday team development, etc. That worked really well for me. However, I found that if one day became busy with client meetings or other needs that meant an entire week before I was back on that area of focus. hence why I got away from it. But now I am struggling with cherry picking items vs really focusing in on one area of development. So based on the quarantine situation I might go back as it is much easier right now to control my calendar and my day.

Hope that helps!

Wilson Ng

Registered
i have 2/3 big projects to keep task together but i fell they are more focus areas.
I think of an Area of Focus as a never-ending project that we must maintain. Volunteering/Community Service, Home Maintenance, Home Finance, Business, Business-Clients, Marketing, etc. will never end. There's always something to do.

A project is a collection of tasks that have a definitive end ('Conduct Christmas Social Media Marketing Campaign' or 'Renovate my house to make it a beautiful castle for my family to live in'). These projects fall inside an Area of Focus because it contributes to the well-being of that area.

gtdstudente

Registered
My four area's of simpleton focus are: 1. PERSONS (God, me, others), 2. PROPS (calendar, car, computer, counters, files, floors, furniture, hamper, house, inbox, lists, sink, trunk, wallet, etc.), 3. PROTOCOLS (skills, methodologies, praxis, etc.), and 4. PROVISIONS (clean clothes, finances, gas, food, etc.) with "Full Things Full . . . Empty Things Empty" standard of Clean, Clear, Completed maintenance for most while adjusting accordingly