Article on using Palm/Shadow for GTD

A

Anonymous

I've recently posted an article about using the program Shadow on a Palm OS handheld for organizing, which can easily be adapted to GTD principles. If you're interested, it is at http://www.memoware.com in the Palm-related section, called Organizing Your Handheld (and your life!). I'd appreciate any comments or feedback.

A

Anonymous

Validity of your file

You didn't put an extension on your file. I tried a .prb extension, but xp didn't recognize it. I changed it to .prc, but it was deleted on Hotsync as an invalid file. So at this point I gave up. If you have not already done so, I recommend you a) back up your document, including hard-copy and only then try re-uploading it to your palm. Perhaps the name you used is invalid, or there is some other problem.

Mike

A

Anonymous

It is a Word document. Add .doc to the end and presto it opens.

A

Anonymous

format

Sorry, I should have mentioned that it is actually in Palm Doc format. (Memoware shows this when you go to download it, but I should have mentioned it as well.) I also have versions in .rtf (rich text format, readable by any word processor or by Wordsmith on the Palm...) if anybody would like that.
I don't know why Memoware stripped the .doc extension from the file; it was there when I uploaded it!

A

Anonymous

Nope- adding .doc or .DOC doesn't work

Although StarOffice is happy to open the file as an MS-Word doc file once the extension is changed to .doc or .DOC, the Palm install program won't take it. Are you sure it's not a word file? I know I can transform it into a Palm doc file myself now, but my curiousity is aroused. Are Palm doc files loaded as .prb or .prc files?

Mike

A

Anonymous

Palm doc files are .prc files

OK answered my own question by experimenting with files from memoware. Palm doc files have the extension .prc. When I give your file a .prc file extension, it fails to load on my palm. Since staroffice thinks it is a Word document, that's probably what it is.

Mike

A

Anonymous

Hello Marc,

I like your article and there are lot of tips in it I can use. Beside of Shadow, I also use DateBk5 for linking items to todoDB. This gives a better view what I have todo. I see the advantages of tags, only I don't have a good idea to use them right. Filtering on tags, lets also see the projects. This makes that you can't see directly which items you have to do and what exactly you have to do with that item.

Peter

A

Anonymous

tips

Peter:
I'm not sure I understand exactly what your concern is...if you need to see the parent for a particular project for a child item, you can either tag it as well, add a little code at the end or beginning of the item, or turn off the filter to see the context of the item...

I haven't had a chance to experiment, but I believe the new version of Shadow Plan has what they call "greedy filters" that show the context of the specific item that is included in the filter. Maybe that would help as well.

A

Anonymous

Marc.. i too agree with you.
that file had the doc extension. and i downloaded it in first place.
later i find it removed.
memoware plays.
there is a huge download for your doc! congratulations and thanks :)

A

Anonymous

Marc.. i too agree with you.
that file had the doc extension. and i downloaded it in first place.
later i find it removed.
memoware plays.
there is a huge download for your doc! congratulations and thanks :)
~vinod ponmanadiyil~