Back-Up Tool for MS Outlook??

Rogaine Warrior

Registered
Any suggestions for a good, EASY TO USE tool that will let you back up your MS Outlook (NOT Outlook Express)? I see many such software products on the wrb when googling for same but would appreciate any insights from folks here who have used one. Computer bug just erased a bunch of files. I had most everything backed up except MS Outlook. Thanks!

Kevin

webagogue

Registered
don't buy any special tools

Don't buy any "outlook backup tools." You don't need them and why-oh-why would you want to put your data in yet ANOTHER closed data format?

1. I suggest you create a mail archive - maybe all but the last two months. Save it to a separate PST file. Why archive? Well, if you want to create multiple copies of a multi-gigabyte file every day, be my guest. Creating an archive of lesser-used stuff lets you focus on the stuff that changes more often and saves you hard drive space.

2. Create a batch script to copy your now smaller main PST file (I assume this is not an exchange installation) to a separate drive/directory. Have windows run it every day (or other day or week.... whatever).

Maybe something like:

echo off
xcopy "c:documents & settingsoutlookmy_outlook.pst" "d:backupdir"

You can get fancy and have it create backups based on date and such. Google around for dos batch backup.

3. Never loose (that much) mail again.

PS - You'll have to kill the outlook.exe process before you can copy your pst file.
PSS - The Windows XP scheduler has a bug that REQUIRES you use the short 8.3 dos format for path names. QUOTES WILL NOT work. Be aware when you tell the windows scheduler where your bat files is at.

Rogaine Warrior

Registered
Back-Up Tool for MS Outlook??

For some reason, my Outlook does not have an Import/Export drop-down option under the FILE tab. Normally, I might use this to back up specific MS Outlook data onto an external drive, for example. Any suggestions as to how to get the Import/Export command option put back? Thanks!