• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Back-Ups??

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
A

Anonymous

Guest
Could someone kindly walk me throught the step by step process of how to do regular back-ups of "Microsoft Outlook GTD".
I would like to keep a back-up copy of all my GTD files on my sanddisk via my USB port.

Merci, Andre
 
Backing Up is hard to do ...

... no, not really. It's just not "automatic".

There is a very simple tutorial at

http://www.sitedeveloper.ws/tutorials/outlook.htm

For my purposes, since I have a desktop and a laptop, I just have both echoing the same mail boxes. For contacts, I use Plaxo which automatically syncs the Outlook contacts folder with a free webbased store. This has the added value of you being able to access the information from Plaxo's web site which shows you your's but no one elses.

I think there is also a tool on Microsoft's web site, which I don't have handy, that puts a backup entry on the file menu. It then backs up your data into an alternative spot. My gripe with it is I want it to back it up in two different places for maximum effect.

In any event, I urge you to get started backing up asap. Havign suffered hard disk failure during my career, there is nothing more fustrating than starting from a brand new hard disk.

The first time it happened, I was really caught flat footed. After that, I have had better and better times of it. I have even deliberately taken my backup to a trash amchine and restored what I had to see what exactly I would be left with should disaster befall me.

Hope this helps,
John
reinke@att.net
 
Top