• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Basic question re: hobbies

  • Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
A

Anonymous

Guest
Please share with me what file/list is to be put hobby projects - with the qualification that one is not currently working on the specific hobby, but has no intentions of getting rid of the in-progress hobby project.

What is the correct "process" for all those un-done projects, that one might return to in the future, but that one has NO interest in reviewing - not even on a by-monthly basis, but feels quite comfortable having them stowed away in storage boxes for some potential time, perhaps, in the future?

Is this a "Someday/maybe"?

Or is there a better way to deal with this type of issue?

I have scads of projects which are along this lines, and I do not intend to be working on any of them at any point in the near future.

Thanks if you care to share, in the hopes of enlightening me. :)
 
Hobby Inventory list

Since it is a good idea to periodically check your Someday/Maybe list, and you do not necessarily want to look at all of your hobbies often, I would not list them there. Why not make an inventory list of your projects, file it, and whenever you want to do/resume a project, check your list? If you are planning some "hobby" time, for the future, put that planned event on your NA list. I would advise you to make a note (attached to your inventory list, maybe?) of what status your project was in when you left it. If a project has not been started (you've purchased materials for something), I would note what the intended project is (somtimes items are not looked at for quite some time, and the intention can be forgotten).
 
Thanks, Susan.

Any advice what file I should put something like that into? As they are all definitely ON HOLD, so they require no Next Actions, and yet I've no intention of tossing them out.

Or should I simply start a NEW folder, perhaps entitled "ON HOLD" (which in truth actually stands for my firm decision that, "I'm *not* starting any new hobby projects in order to fully engage my attention so I can take a little time & space out of my life to comfortably & fully IGNORE the reality of all the numerous unfinished projects I already have and the infinite number of Open Loops my life currently exists of.")

So, is it okay in GTD system to simply carve out a block of items which you've identified thusly, that you know you will NOT be giving any time/attention to for a long time --- and so simply make a list, and file under: IGNORE.

I don't want to make a major mistake with the basic foundation of GTD.

I 'spose I could reasonable file them under, "2007." :)
 
I categorize things of this nature as "Interests" and file them in the "Reference" sector. They require no action in and of themselves. If I decide to do a project related to any of them, it's defined as a project, and it'll probably reference the file I've been building.

Projects, by their nature, require action--now or deferred, but action of some sort. Same w/someday/maybe. Least that's how I see it, but I am new to this, too.
 
I think I've got a solution.

I will entitle the initial folder: ESCAPISM

Later on, when I've familiarized myself enough with GTD to have made some clear headway in the mundane areas of my life, I'll take a look at the ESCAPISM FILE, and it may be at that time that I find it worthwhile to break it down further along the lines of other numerical Escapism 1, 2, 3, and so on.

Who knows, perhaps then, there might even be something I wish to 'activate' and thus move to a current projects area, and maybe there will even be some that I toss/donate - in some way get rid of, as maybe they will no longer be enjoyable or absorbing forms of Escapism.

Thanks for your assistance, Susan.
 
Anonymous said:
I categorize things of this nature as "Interests" and file them in the "Reference" sector. They require no action in and of themselves. If I decide to do a project related to any of them, it's defined as a project, and it'll probably reference the file I've been building.

Projects, by their nature, require action--now or deferred, but action of some sort. Same w/someday/maybe. Least that's how I see it, but I am new to this, too.

Thanks for the input, and yeah, I was pretty sure, maybe even hoping that they did NOT belong in the "Projects" area.

I think that for the meantime, I'll not put them into "REFERENCE" - as I'd like to give that folder a real chance to work, without it becoming the repository of what I now have realized are some "Hot Button" issues, lol -- I think I'd like them in that "ESCAPISM" folder where they are more hoestly entitled and altogether in one place where I can easily find them and reexamine in the future.

In his GTD book, Allen said that already-overwhelmed people are the most likely to take on even more & more new things --- and I want to explore this a bit more, but not anytime in the foreseeable future - way too many projects that must be done. I'll be preoccupied for many months.
 
Keeping things out of Reference unless they really are reference makes a lot of sense, Grateful. But I quibble with "ESCAPISM." It seems so judgmental! (What are you "escaping," after all, but all those "shoulds"?)

You have a lot of interests, and even though it can seem a negative when you're feeling overwhelmed, it's something to celebrate.

How about "MY DA VINCI FILES" instead?
 
How about a tickler file for these?

Maybe file it all 12 months from now. Who knows what your life will look like then. You can still glance at the files a year from now and defer them another year - in just a few seconds.

Or file all the project support material in appropriately named reference files, and tickle a reminder to review them every so often.

-andersons
 
I would make a list called "Hobby projects."

For each hobby, list:
If you were going to do this hobby - what would be the outcome? what would be the next step?

I would then put a repeating calendar entry for each quarter: "Review hobby projects list and decide if I want to do any of them now."

Now you have a place to write down anything related to prospective hobbies - keeping your mind clear of this stuff - and a trusted reminder system to go back to that information, when it might be useful.

If you want to do a hobby, move it from the Hobby list to the Current Projects list.
 
Top