Best Smartphone to For GTD Newbie

sweat

Registered
I'm in the process of reading through GTD and want to implement the process.

One of the things that I want is the a smartphone to enter tasks, appointments and keep reminders in. I really don't want on email on demand, though with my job, I might end up using it if I have the capability.

I keep my appointments and contacts at work on Outlook Vista (and have XP on my laptop). There is no enterprise BB server at my company.

Given this, which is the best option to go with?
Palm Centro
Blackberry Pearl (or a bigger BB)
Motorola 9Qc - Windows Mobile

Moggy72

Registered
Re: Best Smartphone

I've got an HTC Tytn II (also known as Vario III in the UK) and it really works for me. It's a bit big, but has touch screen and a pullout QWERTY keyboard.

You'll need to install something better than Pocket Outlook to get any Microsoft Smartphone to work for you - I use SPB's Pocket Informant which is really flexible.

Bryn

funkym

Registered
I am fine with the BlackBerry Curve by now. The complete keyboard makes it really easy and fast to enter task titles.

jeremyhoff

Registered
Hello!

sweat;56369 said:
I'm in the process of reading through GTD and want to implement the process.

The investment is worth it... :cool:

One of the things that I want is the a smartphone to enter tasks, appointments and keep reminders in. I really don't want on email on demand, though with my job, I might end up using it if I have the capability.

There are other benefits to having a data plan -- your calendar/contacts etc. would be sync'd (i.e. backed-up) all the time. If you are a busy person who relies heavily on a smartphone this is worth the cost alone.

I keep my appointments and contacts at work on Outlook Vista (and have XP on my laptop). There is no enterprise BB server at my company.

Given this, which is the best option to go with?
Palm Centro
Blackberry Pearl (or a bigger BB)
Motorola 9Qc - Windows Mobile

It's hard to say what's "best" without knowing a bit more about you and your needs, and for a first GTD device all will be useful for managing lists, but here are a few thoughts:
1. The Blackberry devices are nice and stable, but are a their best when you have BBE Server installed. If you have a dedicated computer at work you can run the BB Desktop software on that computer to sync.

2. The Palm Centro has had lots of great reviews, mostly because of its speed. It's relatively simple, and for maintaining lists it's a good choice.

3. The Motorola Q may be the most intuitive fit if you use Outlook heavily. In my experience Windows Mobile 6 devices are more stable than WM5 and previous. My Sprint Mogul is far less underpowered than the phone it replaced, for example.

If you have Exchange at your office and your office I.T. staff support Exchange Activesync, then either the Palm (with Versamail) or the MotoQ will be easy to sync wirelessly. In this case, the MotoQ may have a slight edge over the Palm and the Blackberry.

Personally, I could never have a device without a full keyboard.

One final thought -- if your GTD system is not fully implemented and your heart is not sold on a smartphone, you may consider holding off on the purchase. It may be worthwhile to keep your lists in Outlook and print them out for portability. A smartphone is a great device (I use mine too much!) but can add drag when starting and implementing a GTD-based system.

Best.

sweat

Registered
jeremyhoff;56432 said:
One final thought -- if your GTD system is not fully implemented and your heart is not sold on a smartphone, you may consider holding off on the purchase. It may be worthwhile to keep your lists in Outlook and print them out for portability. A smartphone is a great device (I use mine too much!) but can add drag when starting and implementing a GTD-based system.

Thanks for the advice. Until I started reading GTD, I never used the task function in Outlook. Now, with seven people reporting to me, multiple tasks, deadlines, etc...., I've suddenly realized that ability to both assign tasks and set deadlines in Outlook without clogging up the calendar is a huge help.

The problem I've quickly noticed, however, is that I cannot email tasks to myself from Outlook. This is a problem because I use a desktop at work and a laptop on the train. Having a smartphone that would sync between the two, therefore, would solve this problem.

Not to mention that I won't carry a notebook everywhere I go, but realize that I would probably type things into a smartphone as things popped up in my head.

A bit of more expensive solution to organization granted, but if works, it works.

As far as phones, I just looked all three. The keypad on the Centro seems awfully cramped. The BB Pearl is nice because it's small, but I did notice the difference with having a full keyboard. I just wish the number keys on the Q were centered instead of on the left.

ShawnEL

Registered
Agenda Fusion

Any Smartphone that uses Windows Mobile software can run Agenda Fusion (third party software). Agenda Fusion comes in a number of different versions for pocket pc's and a smartphone version. If you use Outlook, you can sync your calendar and GTD lists in an infinite number of ways. Best software out there.

Go to www.developerone.com

rdgeorge

Registered
I recently switched from using a Palm and a separate cell phone to a Palm Treo 755p (see separate thread). The Treo 755p is available on Sprint.

It seems to be popular these days to bash Palm for a number of screw-ups, but so far I have had no problems with the 755p. Synching works correctly, and the phone has not reset itself once. The familiar Palm applications are there, and the keyboard is both well-lit and larger than the Centro keyboard. You might look at the 755p at your local Sprint store.

MrProactive

Registered
My Vote is For The Palm

I'm in the same camp as rdgeorge -- I use a Palm 700p and love it. The Task List program, though "antiquated," is just right for the mobile user -- easy to access and quick. With its Category drop-down, it works great for GTD.

Personally, I've added DayNotez from Natara Software to mine for capture.

sweat

Registered
I looked at the Centro and thought the keys were too small.

I've heard mixed things about the Treo. It is an older design and I would just as soon get something newer than older.

MrProactive

Registered
Newer Better?

Well, that's the thing - you are right, the Treo's software is certainly "older" and is not as "Apple" looking (brilliant, animated graphics like the iPhone or Blackberry). But, at the end of the day when you are on the move, the Palm's software lets you get to the information you need - quickly, easily and visibly. In my opinion, all the other smartphone's "bells and whistles" just get in the way.

rdgeorge

Registered
What is more important - having something new and flashy, or Getting Things Done?

Note how many of the "In Conversation" subjects are using Treo's.

funkym

Registered
Palm and the Treo will go down sooner or later. They are loosing market share day to day and there seems not to be a new blockbuster project on their side.

ChrisF

Registered
I have a PPC/Phone - AT&T 8525. I guess I'm using a hybrid of GTD and Franklin Covey implimented through Outlook and the most recent Franklin Covey for Outlook (using Outlook 2003 on XP).

On the PPC I use Pocket Informant and I have it sync to my exchange server. I also have a button mapped to a voice recorder for dumping quick "pop up" thoughts and later putting them into my system.

I guess a nice step beyond mine is that FC PlanPlus has a really nice project function as well as solid task and category use that is made to integrate into Pocket Informant (i.e. you can view and deal with the projects there). I don't use this as it needs to be done via a FC installed conduit on the desktop rather than exchange (i.e. automatic via wireless) but I can sort and use the daily functions okay.

I tend not to enter a lot of data on the device. PPC is good for data entry but compared to a laptop/desktop it would be only out of extreme need or boredom without access to another device.

Also, I sync over my email and @xxx folders (I use, projects, delegate/deliverables, need to read etc...) so I can deal with my email quickly and review what I need or am waiting on from others.

That gets me by nicely on the electronic side. I think you are going about this the right way in getting ideas/examples, seeing what might integrate into your own life best. Honestly, it's a constant flux and I'm always a bit leery about technology which takes more time investment than it saves.

Also, regarding FC PlanPlus for Outlook. The idea is great, it's been getting better, but it's not flawless yet so if you go that route, do the trial first. In the past this software has been truly horrendous (I'm a long time user so I've been through it all). I've gotten by with it, but I'll tell you - I am always hugely leery of a new version. I just don't trust them anymore but it's an indispensable part of my system and I'm heavily invested in Outlook. The current version is the best I've used and the project implementation is very nice depending on what kind of use you might have for it (personally, I need something beyond a next action for a number of big items but I still frame things that way as it cuts to the chase).

MrProactive

Registered
The Reason I Started

Hi Chris --

"I just don't trust them anymore" perked up my ears and I had to write. I too got very frustrated with FC, to such a point that I quit my job and started Foresight - an add in for Microsoft Outlook that brings GTD / Next Actions and Project Management (at a business user's level) together -- all integrated in Outlook.

If you haven't, you might give us a look.

It's my goal for our company to be very customer responsive -- unlike the past actions of other companies.

Thanks for the post,

ChrisF

Registered
MrProactive;56622 said:
Hi Chris --

"I just don't trust them anymore" perked up my ears and I had to write. I too got very frustrated with FC, to such a point that I quit my job and started Foresight - an add in for Microsoft Outlook that brings GTD / Next Actions and Project Management (at a business user's level) together -- all integrated in Outlook.

If you haven't, you might give us a look.

It's my goal for our company to be very customer responsive -- unlike the past actions of other companies.

Thanks for the post,

I just saw it earlier. I'm knew to the board and had never heard of it before. I'll give it a look.

rdgeorge

Registered
To Funkym:

I know too many friends and associates that are totally addicted to their "Crackberry" and its pushed e-mails, leading to rude, myopic, insistitive behavior in front of friends, loved ones, co-workers, etc.

Take a step back and consider what is truly important.

Just my $0.02. Others mileage may vary.

MrProactive

Registered
ChrisF -- Thanks! If you have any questions, just let me know.

rdgeorge -- You have a good point, so, I say your "mileage" is right on. I have a couple of clients who use Blackberry's and I agree - their email etiquette, sometimes, gets really offensive.