Best taking-note GTD apps?

warrengarcia

Registered
Personally, I am a translator, I typically have multiple choices of translation depending on our company project. To me, taking notes is really vital in interpretation and translation. Besides many useful taking-note tools on GTD, I am wondering about the Notion and Roam. Which one is the best choice for me to take note quickly.

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

kelstarrising

Kelly | GTD expert
By notes do you mean Mind Sweep items? Or notes like meeting notes?

If by Mind Sweep items, I would look for something that integrates with your GTD list manager.

mcogilvie

Registered
Personally, I am a translator, I typically have multiple choices of translation depending on our company project. To me, taking notes is really vital in interpretation and translation. Besides many useful taking-note tools on GTD, I am wondering about the Notion and Roam. Which one is the best choice for me to take note quickly.

For quick notes on any subject, it’s hard to beat a good markdown editor. Bear is Apple only, but I think IA writer is also on PC’s. Notion is really a database program. Roam is kind of a markdown editor with database-ish features, but it is Intended for use as a Zettelkasten (an idea having its star turn now).

Jim

GTD Ninja
When the free macOS Monterey is relased, a new feature is being added to Apple Notes.

This feature, called Quick Note, will allow you to create a new note in any app at any time.

You can add links, Safari highlights, tags, and mentions to a Quick Note, and in supported apps, a thumbnail is added, so you can see the note in the app that was active when the note was created.

I can't wait to start using it!

Notes.jpg

snfuod

Registered
For meeting notes, and sometimes mindsweeping, I use OmniOutliner. It's all personal preference, but I tend to use an outlining method when taking meeting notes. It's also easy to prepare for the meetings, simply just use the agenda items as sections and take preparing notes as subsection. During the meeting take additional subsection notes and there you go. The notes I take that way tend to be more specific and useful. When I'm taking notes more freely, in a text document, I tend to take longer notes and the structure is lost.

mcogilvie

Registered
Your typing speed will be the same, regardless of what tool you use, so what does this even matter?
Because the cognitive load imposed by the software matters, particularly when combined with the need to structure meeting notes. I would be much slower taking meeting notes in OmniOutliner than in markdown. Of course, there’s a lot of personal preference involved.

FocusGuy

Registered
Personaly I love Evernote. I use it for any reference GTD material (except fr my buildings documents wich are in google drive)
Evernote is interesting because you can easely make folders wich contains notes and tags of course. It is very well built and you can make links from notes to a task (for example in omnifocus). You can have a note opened on you desktop while you work on your favorit GTD software. It is afordable and easy too. promess I don't have any shares about evernote (sadly !)

Oogiem

Registered
Which one is the best choice for me to take note quickly.
Personally my choice is GoodNotes on an iPad with an Apple Pencil, then do handwriting recog and share as markdown using shortcuts to send it directly into Obsidian where I can expand on the notes and link as required. I like the feel of writing on the ipad with the screen protector, it feels like real paper. I can add drawings and export them and once in Obsidian I have the text typwrittena nd the drawing as attachments.

jwsamuel

Registered
Personaly I love Evernote. I use it for any reference GTD material (except fr my buildings documents wich are in google drive)
Evernote is interesting because you can easely make folders wich contains notes and tags of course. It is very well built and you can make links from notes to a task (for example in omnifocus). You can have a note opened on you desktop while you work on your favorit GTD software. It is afordable and easy too. promess I don't have any shares about evernote (sadly !)
I keep looking for something better than Evernote but go back. I am currently using a mix of Evernote and Google Docs.

Parth

Registered

Hey, warrengarcia, I think notion will be a better choice. You can say I am a bit biased becuase for me it's just like my second brain. It provides you really cool features and simple to use. In the end, it subjective and depends on person to person. Best of luck.

snfuod

Registered
For quick notes on any subject, it’s hard to beat a good markdown editor. Bear is Apple only, but I think IA writer is also on PC’s. Notion is really a database program. Roam is kind of a markdown editor with database-ish features, but it is Intended for use as a Zettelkasten (an idea having its star turn now).
iAWriter is a great application, I use that a lot too. And you’re right, it’s available on multiple platforms.