• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Best tool for NPM

lisaGTD

Registered
Hi all,

I love the natural planning model. I mainly use paper to go through the stages as i haven't found a software/tool that enables me to go through the 5 stages seamlessly and get my brainstorm ideas out my head quickly.

Is anyone using a tool for the npm that they rate highly?
 
The way I see it there is not "the" one tool that covers everything. Each phase of planning requires tools that fit to what you want to do. You will most likely use a completely different tool for brainstorming than for organizing and assigning next actions.

Depending on the project theremight be lots of different tools involved: email-client, list-manager, mindmapping-tool, paper, ...

The big challenge is to get these to work together smoothly.

Cheers,
Tristan
 
Is anyone using a tool for the npm that they rate highly?

I have a keyboard macro that expands to keywords for the five stages of the natural planning model, but I don’t use it all that often. Your post is a reminder I should remember to use it more.
 
I have a keyboard macro that expands to keywords for the five stages of the natural planning model, but I don’t use it all that often. Your post is a reminder I should remember to use it more.


What's a keyboard macro? How does it help with the natural planning model?
 
Is anyone using a tool for the npm that they rate highly?
Paper and pen is always my first choice.

Then I can either, scan the paper to PDF and store it as project support in an electronic project folder or more likely, because my handwriting is poor at best, I edit and type it into an appropriate tool based on how big it is. Smallish project plans go into DEVONThink. Once it gets much over 2 pages in length I will either put it into a LibreOffice file or into Scrivener in my new things I'm testing which is one big scrivener project.
 
What's a keyboard macro? How does it help with the natural planning model?

You type a certain combination of keystrokes, and what you type is replaced by whatever text you have set up to appear. In this case, if I type "xnpm" (not an English word) it expands to "Purpose: Successful Outcome: Brainstorm: Organize: Next Actions" which are the five steps of the natural planning model. I use this in the notes section of project entries in my list tool, currently Things 3. Then I do whatever I feel like doing to help the project along.:)

On most platforms, there are several apps with this capability, and Apple has a simple version in both iOS and MacOS. People who do a lot of forms and form letters can really get a big productivity boost out of this.
 
You type a certain combination of keystrokes, and what you type is replaced by whatever text you have set up to appear. In this case, if I type "xnpm" (not an English word) it expands to "Purpose: Successful Outcome: Brainstorm: Organize: Next Actions" which are the five steps of the natural planning model. I use this in the notes section of project entries in my list tool, currently Things 3. Then I do whatever I feel like doing to help the project along.:)

On most platforms, there are several apps with this capability, and Apple has a simple version in both iOS and MacOS. People who do a lot of forms and form letters can really get a big productivity boost out of this.


Interesting, thanks for sharing.
 
Top