Best way to capture ideas whilst cycling

ellobogrande

Registered
ellobogrande;78129 said:
I settled upon Sony IC Recorder model ICD-BX700, available at TigerDirect for $30. I did a search for voice recorders sorted by price and this was the first voice recorder (not a USB drive/mp3 player/voice recorder combo) that showed up. Unlike the combo devices this recorder has a record button on it (you don't want to scroll through menus while driving or cycling to find the record function) and is more versatile than the combo devices. For example, you can set the microphone sensitivity to record dictations up close or record a meeting in a conference room.

The only downside to this model is the lack of USB support. You can't download the recordings to a computer. That was not a critical feature for me. Sony makes a similar voice recorder that does have USB support; it just costs more than I wanted to pay.

One other nice feature of this voice recorder that I discovered is the ability to set the microphone sensitivity. If I set it to high I don't have to hold the recorder to my lips to get a clear recording. I can leave it dangling from my neck and not have to hold it in my hand while recording.

enjonze

Registered
re: Best way to capture ideas whilst cycling

I find that reviewing my calendar for the next few days before I set out cycling (like you, I have and hour-plus ride each day) gets my brain thinking about things. When I get to work or home, I just do a mind sweep. I cannot imagine interrupting the flow of the ride to record or write something down, and I have been amazed by the connections my brain makes while “only” concentrating on the ride. Also, I do not know your route or traffic conditions, but if I was starting and stopping constantly to write things down or fiddling with a tape recorder, I would soon become an annoyance to fellow cyclists and drivers, and possibly a danger to them and myself. The semi-meditative state induced by my rides lead me to many great new ideas, and I do not believe I have missed any of them.