Brand new to GTD. Can someone help me visualize a flow?

Sydney

Registered
Thank you in advance! I am really excited about the potential of this system and feel like it could change the quality of my life. I am constantly overwhelmed and stressed out because of To-Dos running through my head day and night, with some of the To-Dos being huge projects.

I'm starting off using a paper based system only. I have gone through my life and created a Tickler file, an A-Z reference file folder system, project support folders, and bought a calendar. I took everything out of Asana and created a to-do from it or put it on my calendar. But I'm all turned around.

I have 12 clients with repeating daily tasks, needed weekly/monthly tasks, and rsh that needs done. I need to go through each one and create projects for each one. Some don't have a specific timeline, it's just something I need to do ASAP. The big project is, "Map out every client with a summary, things to do for them (daily, weekly, monthly), and things to monitor/test". So that is actually 12 client projects, and then each client would have a bunch of sub-projects, like pulling a lot of data and analyzing it, and making a list of actions to take.

I'm stressed with where to put everything. I work from home, so Context lists are hard for me. Would each client be a project with just one project reference folder per client? Then with lists of things to do for each one? And then decide if it belongs on the calendar? How do I prompt myself to keep moving forward with the projects?

I considered making "Short Tasks" and "Long Tasks" context lists, so when I have downtime at work, depending on the time I have available, I can pull a task from whichever folder makes sense, and then decide the next action after that and put it in a different Next Action list?

I'm just really confused and am hoping it's normal on Day 3. lol

sarasmithma

Registered
Although I am not a GTD coach/consultant, I am a personal productivity coach who has helped many people, just like you, overcome overwhelm. Here are my 2 cents:

The overwhelm of GTD implementation comes from trying to "start at done". It will take a loooong time to actually master the technique. Much longer than a few days. ;) I've been practicing for about 6 years and I'm still learning all the time!

There are 3 steps to GTD mastery:

1. Implementing fundamentals
2. Implementing a higher level of time and life management
3. Creating space to make room for ever expanding tasks and life manifestation

As you're just beginning the journey, you really want to get rock solid with the GTD workflow. If you don't already have it, print out a copy of the GTD workflow and keep it near your work station. Each time you have a new input just move it through the system, always asking yourself "what's the next action?"

With only the details you provided, you seem to have missed one very big project: Transfer tasks to GTD methodology. It seems like your biggest stress is from not being clear on your GTD implementation Project, not the clients. It might be worth it to start from here, ask what's the next action, and then move it forward.

It sounds like you've already identified some projects with more than one next action. So, you'll need to 1) identify the outcome of that project and 2) identify the next action. When it comes to contexts, don't mistake it for only the location. It can be a location but it can also be a tool or resource. I try to think about what I actually need to complete the action, not just where I would usually do the action. If I need to look at a file and that file is in my home office, I wouldn't list "home" as my context because it's not specific enough. I'd likely make a "home office" or "office" context. This also creates a psychological separation from home vs work.

I would create an outcome based project for client work. What does "done" look like? Then add in project support files as needed.

Your contexts list are where you capture your next actions. Your plan to create a short tasks vs long tasks list does not accurately make use of contexts though you can add a "time available" qualifier to each task. I do this for my tasks and it helps me when making day to day decisions about what to do next. You move each input through the workflow to determine if it goes on a next actions list. Not all of your tasks will be next actions! Some may be reference, someday/maybe or ticklers.

It's tough to get complex information across in writing but I hope this has helped a bit. If you're interested in productivity coaching or a free strategy call, feel free to send me an email: OrganizingHigher A T gmail.com.

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast
Most likely your clients will each represent separate projects.

You want to keep your next actions separate from your project support material. The context lists help by providing a "snapshot" of options for things to do across all your projects/obligations. I think that's one of the major differences between GTD and other systems, and represents a paradigm shift for most people.

I started GTD on paper (with the exception of my calendar), it can work really well and it removes the distraction of superfluous features. I always recommend anyone starting GTD follow the book precisely. Take 2 days, gather up everything, and set up your system. It sounds like your "map out every client" project could be part of that (or maybe part two...).

If you're on day 3, don't get too worried if you're confused. It can take a couple years to get your GTD system onto "cruise control," but every step along that journey brings value with it. Just keep at it.

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Thank you in advance! I am really excited about the potential of this system and feel like it could change the quality of my life. I am constantly overwhelmed and stressed out because of To-Dos running through my head day and night, with some of the To-Dos being huge projects.

I'm starting off using a paper based system only. I have gone through my life and created a Tickler file, an A-Z reference file folder system, project support folders, and bought a calendar. I took everything out of Asana and created a to-do from it or put it on my calendar. But I'm all turned around.

I have 12 clients with repeating daily tasks, needed weekly/monthly tasks, and rsh that needs done. I need to go through each one and create projects for each one. Some don't have a specific timeline, it's just something I need to do ASAP. The big project is, "Map out every client with a summary, things to do for them (daily, weekly, monthly), and things to monitor/test". So that is actually 12 client projects, and then each client would have a bunch of sub-projects, like pulling a lot of data and analyzing it, and making a list of actions to take.

I'm stressed with where to put everything. I work from home, so Context lists are hard for me. Would each client be a project with just one project reference folder per client? Then with lists of things to do for each one? And then decide if it belongs on the calendar? How do I prompt myself to keep moving forward with the projects?

I considered making "Short Tasks" and "Long Tasks" context lists, so when I have downtime at work, depending on the time I have available, I can pull a task from whichever folder makes sense, and then decide the next action after that and put it in a different Next Action list?

I'm just really confused and am hoping it's normal on Day 3. lol
Also depending if you work in a situation where people put meetings on your calendar, be sure to block time for you to engage in focused work.

mcogilvie

Registered
I remember David Allen quoting a proverb in one of his books, “The work will teach you how to do it.” In other words, learn as you go. One of the things GTD emphasizes is the bottom-up, emergent nature of our work. We do brain dumps. We see next actions. We identify groups of next actions and discover projects. Our areas of focus become more clear. As our ability to handle things gets better, we naturally start to look at higher levels and longer-term goals. For most people, top-down goal setting rarely gets it right the first time, or the second. Your GTD lists are a reflection of you, and they will change as you change and get used to a better way of working. It seems pretty clear to me that you think you know how you want to handle your clients within GTD, but you may be wrong. Give yourself permission to try different approaches, and let your best practices emerge from experience.

Gardener

Registered
Consider the possibility that division by clients may not be the best structure for some of your projects. For example, if you do a similar weekly analysis, report prep, meeting, and logging of meeting minutes and tasks for each of seven clients, that might point to a single "Manage Weekly Client Meetings" project, rather than either seven projects.

James M

Registered
One small addition from me – you mention that you have a list of daily tasks to complete for each of your clients. You might consider using a checklist for these if these recurring tasks are the same each day, rather than writing out next actions on a daily basis.

The checklist would in effect be a reference item, or you could drop it into your tickler folder for the day you next need it.

Jared Caron

Nursing leader; GTD enthusiast
I remember David Allen quoting a proverb in one of his books, “The work will teach you how to do it.” In other words, learn as you go. One of the things GTD emphasizes is the bottom-up, emergent nature of our work. We do brain dumps. We see next actions. We identify groups of next actions and discover projects. Our areas of focus become more clear. As our ability to handle things gets better, we naturally start to look at higher levels and longer-term goals. For most people, top-down goal setting rarely gets it right the first time, or the second. Your GTD lists are a reflection of you, and they will change as you change and get used to a better way of working. It seems pretty clear to me that you think you know how you want to handle your clients within GTD, but you may be wrong. Give yourself permission to try different approaches, and let your best practices emerge from experience.
I want to save this blurb, it is so well said.