Briefcases, etc.

ArtVandelay

Registered
What are you all bringing to/from work? Backpacks? Briefcases? I'm currently using a Filson original briefcase but am considering something like this. It seems a little more roomy than my Filson. I have a short commute via car to the office and I have a white collar job (CFO/COO).

mcogilvie

Registered
I usually carry a shoulder bag that holds an iPad Pro, a notepad or notebook and a few other things. I have a smaller shoulder bag for a smaller iPad. For travel, I use a ballistic nylon backpack which can hold a lot, but less these days. All Briggs and Riley. I think leather is impractical and no longer use it for bags and suitcases.

gtdstudente

Registered
ArtVandely,

While leather is elegant . . . understand is that is necessary for say . . . sales

Leather bag itself, on the other hand, can often with more than the items being carried?

A leather "Portfolio" can also appear polished with less weight

Accompanied with a narrow black rectangular nylon briefcase with 'lots' of compartment if available with an optional shoulder strap

Back packs for Academics and eccentric billionaires?

All that being said . . . preference here the very well engineered plastic shopping bags [Strong, Waterproof, Light, and Unassuming] limitless 'compartments' with via clear plastic bags . . . can even be Gerry-Rigged with a shoulder strap

What ever suits you in the above spectrum

Ps. Optional: Same color briefcase: English leather shoes (Oxford with one piece of leather and stitched once at heal) with leather Soles, fully leather-lined to toe, 3/4 or 1/2ish leather heal while all rubber heal is acceptable to prevent slipping

American made tend to be rather heavy while Italian are seemingly fragile . . . nice at first then all down hill after a few 'wears'

Care = Leather soles are never to be worn on wet surfaces without rubbers and really need to be stored with cedar shoe trees for sweat absorption and to prevent shoe 'curling' and ideally hand-polished after each use before storage. If being worn daily, then two pairs for alternation . . . they will both last longer

As you see GTD regarding 'tools'

Happy New Year

Oogiem

Registered
What are you all bringing to/from work?
Do you really want to know?

I'm going to assume yes ;)

My "purse" is a Tom Bihn bag that I was gifted from a friend for whom it was not quite right. I honestly don't know what version it is, but it holds my iPad and a plethora of other useful and misc. stuff (I bet no one else here carries nitrile gloves and suture material with attached needle in their everyday purse/bag ;-) or a tape measure, cough drops and a paper clip bent into a disk extraction tool, not to mention the first aid kit that includes toilet paper, safety pens, dental floss and duct tape)

My belt pouch that is always with me has a pocket monkey, bandaids, handi-wipes, pen, pad, spreadsheep list of the flock and id's, cash, credit cards etc. Balancing it on my right side is my leatherman tool and depending on the season something with which to discourage bears from deciding I am on the menu. My other "office" is in a field but I can't seem to upload a picture. I'll try again later. The bag I carry ther is my lamb bag which has everything I need to deal with pretty much any issue with a lambing ewe. If I can't fix it with what I carry the most likely best solution is a bullet.

dtj

Registered
I have two Tom Bihn backpacks, a Synapse 19 and Synapse 25. They are provisioned exactly the same, with everything that I might need, all the way to advil, granola bars, and packets of tea. Of course I have thunderbolt docks in each, as well as every conceivable cable or dongle. They have built-in sleeves for my 13 inch Macbook Air. The bigger one has an extra sleeve for my work MBP 16". If I am just going up to my office, or co-working, I grab the 19. If I am travelling, or need my 16", I grab the 25. The only difference in provisions, is that I have a small usb mic in the bigger bag.

I am blessed to have bags of just the "right" size needed.

boomer70

Registered
I have a Tumi Alpha briefcase that I have had for 10 years now. It has stood the test of time. I bought the one the allows it to flip in half for security checkpoints but then got TSA Pre-check shortly thereafter. I wish I had gotten the slimmer one to prevent collecting/carrying too much.

GNewman

Registered
For a briefcase I use the Defy Defender in ballistic nylon (http://defybags.com). They do make it in leather and it's pricey but if you're using Filson you are already using pricey :). If you need bigger, Defy makes a 48 hour

I honestly don't use the briefcase much, I tend to lean towards backpacks for the extra space. I have way to many to list but I prefer the Goruck heritage and Evergoods waxed canvas.

dtj

Registered
In my choices I have also factored in things like not wanting my stuff to look expensive, and thus worth stealing. My choice of colors is also sort of almost urban camouflage, especially when left in cars and such.

gtdstudente

Registered
In my choices I have also factored in things like not wanting my stuff to look expensive, and thus worth stealing. My choice of colors is also sort of almost urban camouflage, especially when left in cars and such.
dtj,

". . . especially when left in cars and such."

Meaning mostly car trunk?

dtj

Registered
dtj,

". . . especially when left in cars and such."

Meaning mostly car trunk?

Actually mostly in cabin, on the floorboards. Its back is black, so I lay it with that out, and its mostly invisible to glances in the windows. I don’t leave it there alot, but like running into the gas station and such.

gtdstudente

Registered
Actually mostly in cabin, on the floorboards. Its back is black, so I lay it with that out, and its mostly invisible to glances in the windows. I don’t leave it there alot, but like running into the gas station and such.
on this end . . . the missing empty black briefcase was of little consequence especially when compared to cleaning up the very sharp shattered glass from the car floor and and having the broken door glass replaced :(

Appropriate engagement can also include avoiding undesired outcomes/unfortunate possibilities in the midst of reasoned realities?

As you see GTD fit

Last edited:

Max34

Registered
I'm currently using a simple backpack for work, but I've been eyeing this leather one from Von Baer for quite some time now. The elegance and durability of leather attract me. And it would add a touch of professionalism to my everyday attire.
The durability factor is also a big reason for me. I'm tired of replacing backpacks every few months because they start falling apart. A quality leather backpack seems like it would stand the test of time.

Last edited:

sesteph6

Registered
I have a Filson Padded Computer bag! Love it.... I have a Tumi Alpha Bravo brief.... love it. BUT NOTHING COMPARES TO THE NOMATEC BACKPACK.