Broad "research" next actions

manynothings

Registered
Hello,

How do you deal with project-like next actions that cannot be further broken down? For example, I like to search the Internet for book recommendations, so often times, I have a next actions like "Surf web for book recommendation for ____". But I tend to have a negative reaction towards these next actions when reviewing my list. The root of the problem seems to be that this "next action" contains many smaller steps that cannot be performed in isolation. For example, I have to start up my computer/browser, look around at threads, respond to new ideas in my search, etc, all while being in a sort of "flow" state.

How are these next actions handled?

Thanks,

manynothings.

mcogilvie

Registered
If you are really put, off even the smallest bit, by starting your computer and browser, you might consider upgrading your technology. I am usually never more than a few seconds from a web search, often with multiple devices. I’m also puzzled by your overall resistance. It sounds like you are doing recreational surfing rather than work surfing, but maybe I am inferring too much. Recreational surfing is by definition something you want to do, or at least a part of something you enjoy. And a lot of it is 2-minute rule territory. Web surfing for work should have more focus. I have to admit, though, that I usually enjoy that focus. Can you say more about your resistance?

cfoley

Registered
Sometimes doing one thing is difficult, but doing several is easy.

Finding a great book on a topic is tough, but listing 10 books on that topic is easy. One of them will be a good choice.

Writing one perfect love letter is difficult, but writing 10 quick ones is easy. One of them will be ideal after an edit.

One place this idea is baked-in is step 3 (brainstorm) of the natural planning model. Coming up with 1 good idea is very difficult, but coming up with several ideas without judgement is easy. One of them will be a suitable next action.

manynothings

Registered
If you are really put, off even the smallest bit, by starting your computer and browser, you might consider upgrading your technology. I am usually never more than a few seconds from a web search, often with multiple devices. I’m also puzzled by your overall resistance. It sounds like you are doing recreational surfing rather than work surfing, but maybe I am inferring too much. Recreational surfing is by definition something you want to do, or at least a part of something you enjoy. And a lot of it is 2-minute rule territory. Web surfing for work should have more focus. I have to admit, though, that I usually enjoy that focus. Can you say more about your resistance?

I have a perfectionist-like attitude towards completing these tasks. If I'm going to find books about meditation, I'll dive into countless threads and posts, evaluating the general consensus to what the "bests" of the books are, before I start reading. It doesn't feel right with me to just choose the first recommendation I see, as there's always a nagging suspicion that there's something better, something hidden, that I did not find.

mcogilvie

Registered
I have a perfectionist-like attitude towards completing these tasks. If I'm going to find books about meditation, I'll dive into countless threads and posts, evaluating the general consensus to what the "bests" of the books are, before I start reading. It doesn't feel right with me to just choose the first recommendation I see, as there's always a nagging suspicion that there's something better, something hidden, that I did not find.
OK, let’s talk about learning meditation. Big subject, right? Many meditative schools within various religious traditions. Modern approaches, too. There’s a ton of material on the web. And, oh, apps too. With something like meditation, as with almost everything, there is no one best path for everyone, or even for a given person. I am a lousy meditator, capable of maybe three minutes of meditative focus, but even I know it’s all about the the journey. And that’s pretty much true for any subject. There is no Book of the Vishanti with ultimate truth. Also, I have to tell you that most opinions expressed in threads and posts are random words of no particular value. Kind of like this post. So just get started, and try to make reasonable choices, and keep going.

Last edited:
OP, this is something I struggle with as well. Intellectually I do understand the issue for me, although tackling it in practice is another story. That being said, the solution is to simplify and narrow down the description of the next action until it no longer appears onerous or overwhelming. Like you, I can spend hours researching even the smallest purchase or decision. For me, that means that "decide on which microwave to buy" is not a task that can be accomplished in a single sitting. And any task that cannot be comfortably accomplished in a single sitting (or, for that matter, any task which requires an above-average amount of energy or creativity) will trigger my procrastination reflex every day and twice on Sunday. Simply put, if I don't feel absolutely confident that I can visualize how the next action will proceed, from start to finish, my brain will resist engaging with it.

Using my microwave example, a less onerous and more digestible next action might be "collect 5 lists of recommended microwaves from 5 different websites." This might then be followed by "read 3 detailed reviews from technology websites on all of the microwaves listed which cost under XX dollars." Then it might be "read Amazon customer reviews for all the microwaves which are in my price range and which have the features I am looking for." Or maybe I'm stuck because I'm not sure if a certain feature is worth the extra money. So instead the next action is "ask my wife what she thinks about paying an extra $150 for a microwave that has an integrated meat thermometer". Keep shrinking the action down until it's clear how to do it, how to know when it's done, and how long it should take.

Despite knowing all this in theory, in practice I struggle to break down these projects into manageable pieces and I am still creating tasks like "decide on..." which make my brain go numb and which I always avoid. It's a work in progress.

I might also add that I have also created a project where I intend to learn to become more decisive and let go of my perfectionistic approach to these decisions - because in fact a lot of time could be saved if I could just learn that Perfect is the Enemy of Good, and Good Enough is Good Enough.

All the best!

Tom_Hagen

Registered
Hello,

[...]

Thanks,

manynothings.
In my opinion, dividing the next actions into: starting the computer, opening the browser is too detailed - going further - you can end up with a list of: inhale, exhale ... ;)
However, I understand your problem because this question in a different form often comes up here. For example: how to divide a book reading project? There are different schools. Some use the next actions as a bookmark: Read the book from page [NNN] and simply update this action as they progress. Others divide the book into page counts or chapters. There is no perfect answer. Choose what works for you. So you can write down the action: Search the Internet for a book about... and just do this task repeatedly until you find a book, or you can set yourself N such tasks, e.g. Search for a book about... for 20 minutes or Search 10 books about.... ..
What Allen and also Drucker write about is that today our work is based on knowledge and it does not always allow us to write a full algorithm of conduct. In such cases, the closest action is like a starting point from which you simply start. Programmers have a similar problem: the entire structure of the finished program is not immediately visible, it is often changed and sometimes entire code fragments are rewritten - it is not possible to write such a project in the form: Write a function A, a class B, etc. In such cases, the closest action has more general character.

schmeggahead

Registered
but even I know it’s all about the the journey. And that’s pretty much true for any subject.
This really hit me as connecting with:
Finding a great book on a topic is tough, but listing 10 books on that topic is easy. One of them will be a good choice.
Kind of similar rewards, so crafting the "vision of done" can really help with motivation and crafting
the closest action is like a starting point from which you simply start.
There's seeds of solutions everywhere.

For me, my collection point is an app called Drafts. So for a captured item like:
search the Internet for book recommendations
I would come upon this and rewrite it as: "book recommendations for pencil sketching" for example. Drafts has actions you can take on the text, so I would do the following: click "Search DuckDuckGo" action, then capture the URL from the browser, then click: "create reminder" action, then open Apple reminders and paste in the URL into the action just created, then move it from "Inbox" to my "Digital" Context.

When I see the next action, all I have to do is click on the URL and I'm off and running (that is if it isn't the right time to do this now).

If I open the link on my phone, but want to use the big screen, I just open my computer & through continuity, there is the browser icon with the tiny iPhone icon over it, waiting to be opened on my Mac to exactly where I am on my phone.

So I spent a minute or so during processing, setting up a lightning start to the whole process, removing any barrier to entry for me.

Hope this is helpful and enjoyable,
Clayton

p.s. While I'm waiting for the computer to come up, Rosie is usually near, so petting her is a joy that frees me to explore without pressure.

Every journey starts with one step. - [Someone Famous]

DKPhoto

Registered
To me the context is @computer, so you would only start it when the computer is on.

Then as others have said sub-divide it. So maybe you would want to start a list of books to do more research on.

I would probably make the NA find 10 books on meditation (without trying to judge if they are the one).

Once complete my NA would then be read reviews about the first one on the list.

Then do the same for the second one. Then cross off the one that is the least best fit for your needs.

Repeat with the 3rd and so on. By the time you get to the 10th you should be left with 1 book. If you still don’t think that it’s the one then start making another list of ten and repeat.

You can stop at any point as there are plenty of breaks in this process that will let you create an actionable NA.

michaelp6of7

Registered
In my opinion, dividing the next actions into: starting the computer, opening the browser is too detailed - going further - you can end up with a list of: inhale, exhale ... ;)
However, I understand your problem because this question in a different form often comes up here. For example: how to divide a book reading project? There are different schools. Some use the next actions as a bookmark: Read the book from page [NNN] and simply update this action as they progress. Others divide the book into page counts or chapters. There is no perfect answer. Choose what works for you. So you can write down the action: Search the Internet for a book about... and just do this task repeatedly until you find a book, or you can set yourself N such tasks, e.g. Search for a book about... for 20 minutes or Search 10 books about.... ..
What Allen and also Drucker write about is that today our work is based on knowledge and it does not always allow us to write a full algorithm of conduct. In such cases, the closest action is like a starting point from which you simply start. Programmers have a similar problem: the entire structure of the finished program is not immediately visible, it is often changed and sometimes entire code fragments are rewritten - it is not possible to write such a project in the form: Write a function A, a class B, etc. In such cases, the closest action has more general character.
"What Allen and also Drucker write about is that today our work is based on knowledge and it does not always allow us to write a full algorithm of conduct."

Great advice here and especially appreciate the perspective because we often had to choose a path without the clear picture ahead.

dtj

Registered
I have both an "@Investigate" context and "Research" subprojects in my Home and Work projects. And even as some deeper subprojects, if there is enough distinct items to warrant its own subproject. Investigation and research are big parts of many of the things that I do in life.

Matt_M

Registered
While I do not have this exact issue, I can make some observations and recommendations. The primary factors that are in play here are two fold: perfectionism to finding the "best" and that "research" has (for perfectionists especially) negative connotations.

Perfectionism is a broad topic but suffice it to say that "not everything requires equal effort" and you only have so much time, energy, money, and so forth to expend. Sometimes things can have a "good enough" solution. Be wary of spending inordinate amounts of time in trying to find the best, most optimal, or perfect solution or answer to your query: this is called "analysis paralysis" and is a subtle form of procrastination. An affirmation that I mentioned once before on here to beat procrastination is: "The best way to get ahead, is to get started". Making forward progress, in any direction, is still progress and it overcomes that "analysis paralysis" problem by forcing me to just make a decision and then adapt as needed.

I also, much to my chagrin and best efforts, try to avoid locking myself into accepting or believing that the first "thing" or interaction that I have/with on any given topic as "the one true way, approach, or perspective" to that topic. That is a form of anchoring bias and subtly humans (or at least me) do not like to re-learn, re-interpret, and re-evaluate their beliefs, positions, perspectives, world views, etc. on any given topic very often, if ever at all, as I am lazy. By trying to find the "best" answer, I would postulate, that you're trying to avoid having to, in the future, ever having to come back to the topic, learn more, and re-evaluate it and incorporate new information. Much like you, I want the first answer to the best, correct, and only answer to many problems. Life, however, seems to vehemently disagree with that premise. I, instead, make "satisficing" choices and gladly, wilfully accept that I must re-adapt, re-learn, and re-examine my positions, information, perspective, etc. regularly. I have inverted my premise to be that: the only one truth is that there are no one truths other than this truth that all other truths must be continuously, explicitly, expressly, and quite often re-evaluated, re-examined, and re-decided regularly, especially at the most inopportune times, invariably. Cheating? Maybe. Mental gymnastics? Possibly. Dang clever? Why yes, yes it is :)

Personally, I understand why "research" has so many negative connotations. In academia, we often were forced to write "research" papers on topics we, honestly, would/will never care about and thus associated the discomfort, dissatisfaction (usually) from others finding issues with our research/inconclusive research, and ultimately pain with that term. As well, it seems that "research" is this never ending process and that comes to a head right quick with that whole perfectionism thing and searching for the one true, correct answer. We just cannot catch a break it seems. Instead of using "research", I instead just don't use that term at all then because it's just not going to ever work. I create lists of "X Books To-Read" and add things to it continuously as I find an interesting book on the topic, recommendation, or what have you. When time, money, and so forth fits I look at those lists, grab a book or two off it and then look at it to see if "really" want to buy it and read it (if not, I usually write a note on that book for _why_ don't want to, then mark it as "Nope, not doing - ..." otherwise I purchase and read it). I feel great about it then and am able to move forward.

I hope any of that helps :)

mcogilvie

Registered
I create lists of "X Books To-Read" and add things to it continuously as I find an interesting book on the topic, recommendation, or what have you. When time, money, and so forth fits I look at those lists, grab a book or two off it and then look at it to see if "really" want to buy it and read it (if not, I usually write a note on that book for _why_ don't want to, then mark it as "Nope, not doing - ..." otherwise I purchase and read it). I feel great about it then and am able to move forward.

I hope any of that helps :)
I like this idea of a “not-reading list” and will see if it works for me. Things supports cancelling projects and actions as well as logging completed or cancelled items, so maybe that will make it easier to reject books and papers. Rejection seems like it should be easier than deletion.