Bummed about software subscriptions

Cpu_Modern

Registered
I wasn't talking about Markdown. I was talking about keeping an entire GTD system in one text file. It's a cool idea but it just isn't functional.
I respectfully disagree. Sure, one is not dumb by going to what's serving one's needs best. That being said, the cool idea, as you state it, is IMO quite workable. It all depends on ho capable your text editing environment is, I guess.

For example you could 'tag' every line in your textfile:

get Harry's feedback on cost/benefit analysis @calls

Then you could grep that file for "@calls" to get a that @calls list as your output.

Likewise a calendar would be do-able:

20-03-28 reply to Peter on GTD board @computer @calendar
Again, have a grep at those "@calendar" lines, maybe have them even sorted by date (alphanumerical).

You could have your text-editor sort those lines for you, of course not, if you use Windows Notepad.

But, really, all you need is a text editor and the CLI and then you can accuse Org-mode users of using over-engineered and bloated software just to get organized :D

TesTeq

Registered
But, really, all you need is a text editor and the CLI and then you can accuse Org-mode users of using over-engineered and bloated software just to get organized :D
As the saying goes: "You ain't seen nothing unless you've seen the power of TaskPaper".
TaskPaper app for Mac keeps all your stuff (Projects, Actions and Notes) in one (or more if you wish) text file and displays it using any filter you can imagine! With built-in @due and @done tags. @Peter Van Harmelen

aderoy

Registered
The developer requires a source of income this is true. For freeware programs I will 'donate' yearly what I can in relation to amount of use. Yet if purchased I may stay with the same version for years until there is an advancement that I need. If a new version is launched but does not deliver function(s) I can use then skip the version is my response.

As the saying goes: "You ain't seen nothing unless you've seen the power of TaskPaper".
TaskPaper app for Mac keeps all your stuff (Projects, Actions and Notes) in one (or more if you wish) text file and displays it using any filter you can imagine! With built-in @due and @done tags. @Peter Van Harmelen

Well, alright then, I'll have to play with it again! I'm curious, though, @Cpu_Modern, it works equally well for you on a phone? Or do you not do any work in your system via phone? @TesTeq I'll have to let Michael Sliwinski know that you suggesting I try TaskPaper instead of Nozbe! :) :)

TesTeq

Registered
@TesTeq I'll have to let Michael Sliwinski know that you suggesting I try TaskPaper instead of Nozbe! :) :)
OMG! :eek:
TaskPaper is a great outliner with a special Projects and Next Actions syntax. But there's one drawback. Despite the fact that it is based on a simple text file it is not easy to synchronize your TaskPaper based GTD system across different platforms. You need different apps (not so good as the original TaskPaper for Mac) and a cloud drive. Nozbe and Todoist solve this problem perfectly!

Cpu_Modern

Registered
Well, alright then, I'll have to play with it again! I'm curious, though, @Cpu_Modern, it works equally well for you on a phone?

I don't use a smart phone, I only use Macs. For capture out and about I use pen and paper.

However, I found this GTD system description which I wanted to share. The author uses the Taskpaper syntax for his one big text file system. He uses it with Sublime on Windows and with Editorial on iOS.

It's a extensive description with quite a few iOS "hacks" included.

Reactions: Jim