Calendaring in actions not Time, Day-Specific Actions and information

mrje1

Registered
Hello Everyone,

From reading the book DA mentions only place Time-Specific Actions, Day-Specific Actions and information only in a calendar and not to put something you think should be done. I have an action for example to get a blood test that I can do at anytime and I am not sure what day yet to do it. I was thinking about next Wednesday to get it done, but I am refraining from putting it in the calendar because of what I learned above. Should I place it in the calendar anyway? What would you recommend on how to handle an action like this. I couldn't find it anywhere in the book at least not yet.

Thank you very much for you time and assistance on this.

Last edited:

mcogilvie

Registered
Here is how I would approach the blood test issue. First, the testing facility: only walk-ins? Does it give priority to those who schedule appointments? If I can, I may want to schedule an appointment, which would be on my calendar. If I am going to walk in without an appointment, I will put it on my @errands list. I go one step further: if I think I might do this on a specific day, I will ALSO put it on my digital calendar, assigned to my Tentative calendar category, which has a gray color. If I do the test sooner, I can delete the calendar entry when I next see it. If I haven’t done the test yet, it is a planned option for that day. If my weekly review shows I am not getting the test done, I might make a non-tentative commitment on my calendar, because my health is important.

In my day job as a university professor, I get invited to dozens of events every week. Our department alone has a colloquium and five seminars a week. I couldn’t and shouldn’t go to everything, but I use the Tentative calendar category for things I may do.

Gardener

Registered
My view--and it may be incorrect--is that you don't put flexible-time tasks on the calendar because you want to preserve your calendar as the space for mandatory, or at least scheduled, events, so that you don't become blind to it.

However, I feel that on the other hand, this is something that will require a block of time--disentangle yourself from what you're doing, get in the car, etc. And if it's a 12-hour-fast thing, that's even more infrastructure, as I'd call it, around the event. If you don't allow yourself to use the planning structure inherent in the calendar, this task might stretch on and on and on. And I believe you ARE allowed to use the calendar for lunch with a friend--which could be rescheduled--or going to see a movie--which could be rescheduled.

So I would put this in the calendar. If you then find that this logic applies to event after event after event, so that your calendar is filling up with optional items, then rethink.

mrje1

Registered
Thank you very much for your replies. Very Helpful. Here is some more info. I will need to fast the night before and because of an issue I deal with I can't skip out on my breakfast, so I will need to get it done in the morning. No appointment, it's walk in and they start taking blood tests at 9am. So, I do know I will need to get there by 9am the latest so I can get this done and have my breakfast.

With that said, would you guys still suggest the same things? I like the idea of still placing it in the calendar and also placing into a separate calendar that deals with tentative or possible actions and if it doesn't work then rethink.

mcogilvie

Registered
Thank you very much for your replies. Very Helpful. Here is some more info. I will need to fast the night before and because of an issue I deal with I can't skip out on my breakfast, so I will need to get it done in the morning. No appointment, it's walk in and they start taking blood tests at 9am. So, I do know I will need to get there by 9am the latest so I can get this done and have my breakfast.

With that said, would you guys still suggest the same things? I like the idea of still placing it in the calendar and also placing into a separate calendar that deals with tentative or possible actions and if it doesn't work then rethink.

It sounds to me like you need to make the commitment to get to the testing place slightly before 9am on a specific day, and block off enough time for breakfast afterwards. Really. This is not Something optional like possibly going to watch bike races with friends on Saturday. If your house is on fire at the time of your appointment, you can reschedule yourself for the next day.

Gardener

Registered

In this case, I would probably make hard calendar events--a "start fasting" event, an event for the appointment, an event for breakfast so that you don't forget and schedule meetings that make breakfast impossible.

mrje1

Registered
Thank you very much for your replies. Awesome! I will think further about a day to do it and schedule it as a hard calendar event as well as suggested to block off enough time for breakfast afterwards. I can always reschedule if needed. Thank you again for all your great help!

TesTeq

Registered
I have an action for example to get a blood test that I can do at anytime and I am not sure what day yet to do it. I was thinking about next Wednesday to get it done, but I am refraining from putting it in the calendar because of what I learned above. Should I place it in the calendar anyway?
I would put the "Decide when to get a blood test." action on my Next Actions list.
And after deciding I would put the "Get a blood test." action in my calendar.
There are two Next Actions but I wouldn't define a Project for such an obvious sequence.

Jimbobal

Registered
This is really interesting. There are a number of actions I have which I dont think I will ever get to unless i diarise them. For example I like to do Goal Setting once a quarter. It usually takes half a day. If I just have it on my actions list to do @computer it will get lost with all the other actions and there will rarely be a 4 hour window at a computer free to do something like that. Therefore is it acceptable to diarise important actions in this way?

Gardener

Registered
This is really interesting. There are a number of actions I have which I dont think I will ever get to unless i diarise them. For example I like to do Goal Setting once a quarter. It usually takes half a day. If I just have it on my actions list to do @computer it will get lost with all the other actions and there will rarely be a 4 hour window at a computer free to do something like that. Therefore is it acceptable to diarise important actions in this way?

This sounds like the time blocking debate. Some disapprove of time blocking, but plenty of people do it. I see a big difference between putting all your little tasks ("put new stickers on car", "investigate Joe's bug report", "mend coat pocket") on a calendar (bad idea, IMO) and putting, say, "Piano Practice" on the calendar (fine, IMO).

Longstreet

Professor of microbiology and infectious diseases
Yes, time blocking is that -- blocking off time for engaging. It may be a series of actions, focused work on a project, an objective, goal etc. It is all about time allocation -- where are you spending your time? This helps me to (1) have a dedicated period of time for my most important work and (2) protect my calendar from multiple meetings appearing that would prevent me from doing that work.