• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Can a colege class be listed as a project?

Hi,

I'm a colege professor and I'm wandering if it's ok to list a class (like "harmony") as a (big) project. Of course a class will, in fact, have many small mini-projects like "build class website", "grade notes", "prepair class notes", and so on.

D.A. says that it doesn't matter if one has big projects in the project list or sub-project as long as they are reviewed. But since I like to think the project list as the list of outcomes, it feels weired to have something like "harmony class" as an outcome.
 
Teaching a class sounds like a project to me.

As for outcomes, think about what would make a class successful from your point of view. "It was a good semester because..."

That's your outcome.

Katherine
 
College classes as projects

I use GTD techniques to organize all of my college classes. Using Life Balance on my T3, I can schedule each subtask ("write quiz #1," "copy quiz #1," "grade quiz #1," "post quiz #1 grades) so that each appears in sequence. GTD is very effective at keeping multiple class tasks in order and avoiding the chaos of managing so many individual students.
 
I meant "complete" in the sense of a verb, "to complete."

Simply naming something does not make it a project, in "strict" GTD terms. Defining an outcome -- such as completing the teaching of a class -- makes it a project.

Or at least, that's how I understand it.
 
Pedro Kroger said:
Hi,

I'm a colege professor and I'm wandering if it's ok to list a class (like "harmony") as a (big) project. Of course a class will, in fact, have many small mini-projects like "build class website", "grade notes", "prepair class notes", and so on.

D.A. says that it doesn't matter if one has big projects in the project list or sub-project as long as they are reviewed. But since I like to think the project list as the list of outcomes, it feels weired to have something like "harmony class" as an outcome.

I have similar ambiguous feelings about classes. A class seems to sit somewhere between 10K and 20K, having both a project and a focus area (teaching) aspect. I think the key issue is how often I want to review it, and the answer is at least weekly, so it goes on the project list. Many people like to formulate their projects as sentences, but I don't find things like "Teach Physics 171 really well this time, better than last time" helpful. Courses do have desired outcomes, though, and I do occasionally put that information in the note attached to the course.
 
When I want to improve a process, I find it helpful to create a Next Action for brainstorming about improvements. For teaching a class, I might create an NA that says, "Brainstorm things that students seem to have difficulty learning, and ways to communicate those things more clearly."
 
Top