Can a tickler file be replaced by a calendar?

cojo

Registered
I'll go through and tell you exactly what I have in my tickler file today.

Today's folder:
- "Email Jer about carpool" (we carpool once every week)
- "Get all programming changes signed off and turned in by tomorrow morning" (gets tickled once every week)
- "Donate $5 for monthly jeans fund" (gets tickled once every month)
- my quarterly review with notes scribbled on it, because I have a meeting with my boss tomorrow and need to update it with the most current info
- directions to an offsite meeting for tomorrow
- birthday card to write out and give to my dad
- an invitation to an art gallery event with directions, parking info and times

I use it for birthday reminders, event or festival information, directions, community deadlines and dates (like "bulk garbage day" - I just printed out the schedule and move it to the next date every time it pops up), and most commonly for routines - like you said, the "clean out the gutters" kind of thing that needs to get done once a year.

Don't think I could live without my tickler file!

CoffinDodger

Registered
Thanks for the examples people - food for thought at my next review. As an allotment (vegetable garden) holder I loved the video trailer. In fact I think I might sit down with "Mrs. Dodger" and see if the concept of a tickler file would help us with our seasonal planning for that. It's another part of the GTD system I could introduce her to without being too "in your face" about it (I call this my "Stealth GTD project" :) )

Oogiem

Registered
CoffinDodger;70199 said:
TIn fact I think I might sit down with "Mrs. Dodger" and see if the concept of a tickler file would help us with our seasonal planning for that.

Some things I am doing in that area are I have a monthly set of farm stuff that usually needs to be done. Most of the items are part of a project plan and thus in my OF system but I have a bunch of projects and actions that have start dates for when I need to deal with them.

Example:

Butcher Chickens is a project that repeats yearly. We raise a batch of butcher chickens each year for us and some for sale. Within it are several defined tasks that I have to do at specific times of the year. I have them set to start at those times.

Butcher Chickens
Decide on what breeds of chickens to order December
Order baby chicks January
Get brooder set up for baby chicks Early May
Chicks arrive mid May
Schedule butcher with Karla Early August
Schedule delivery to Monica Early August
Calculate cost of chickens Mid August
Butcher first batch of chickens Mid August
Deliver chickens to Monica Mid August

So while it's not in my tickler, there are no physical papers that are related it's still tickled in my system.