• Our deepest thanks to the many GTD enthusiasts who have posted in and read this forum over the years. Because use has been steadily declining in recent years, we have reluctantly decided to make this forum a read-only reference archive. There is an active GTD discussion community on the new GTD Connect. Copy/paste this link to get a free trial: https://bit.ly/4hYicYV We still offer a range of other free resources for GTD enthusiasts at: https://gettingthingsdone.com/resources/

Can you help me?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wendii
  • Start date Start date
W

wendii

Guest
I've just started a new job, and when I'm working, I keep thinking of things I could do better, and then promptly forget them. I thought of diviing my page in two, one side for notes, and the other divided into quadrants.

A long time ago I saw a model with the page divided into quadrents. I remember two were things to do less of and things to do more of. Does any one know what the other two are?

I figure if I could write it down immediately after each call I would be able to review at the end of the day/week and improve more quickly.

Thanks for your help.

Wendii
 
$0.02 on note taking method/format

I have found it is not so much the format as it is that I get back through and process the notes I took in a timely (the closer to the event the better) manner. Then I can strip out what needs to be done and still have enough recall of the event to cipher out my sometimes cryptic notes.

If you need a format to make it work perhaps just go with one and after a bit you can make the changes you need to fit your style/circumstances. I have found this experimentation to work the best in getting something useful.

Hope this helps.
 
Maybe you are thinking of Franklin Covey's four quadrants?

QI - Important and Urgent
QII - Important but Not Urgent
QIII - Not Important but Urgent
QIV - Not Important and Not Urgent
 
Ah!

Guest.. you are right.. I'm logging the calls as I make them.. so if I write

Company

Scribble Scribble Scribble what they tell me

Then Scribble what I did good/what I forgot to do..

then at the end I can go through and highlight the what I did good and what I forgot and I can see how I'm doing...

Brainwave.. I think I'll try that for a while and see how it goes. Thanks for being my inspiration.

J - it came to me in the night. the other two are Stop and Start.. I don't know where it comes from though.. I don't think its a Covey thing..

thanks for your help though.

wendii
 
Cornell Note-Taking Format?

What your talking about sounds somewhat like the Cornell method of note-taking. It was discussed on this board a while ago: http://www.davidco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=559

A decent description is here: http://cls.coe.utk.edu/pdf/ls/Week2_Lesson14.pdf

Basically, you divide your paper into sections. In one section, you take your notes. In another section, while reviewing your notes, you write key words or terms. And in a third section, you briefly write summaries, thoughts, and actions. Kind of sounds like collect, process. . . ;)
 
Re: Can you help me?

I've just started a new job, and when I'm working, I keep thinking of things I could do better, and then promptly forget them.

I went through a process a couple of months ago, during a back-to-back-to-back travel month. (In hotels 17 nights out of 20.)

At the end of most days, where-ever I was about to fall asleep, I wrote a full 3X5 card answering these two questions:

What would I like to do over from today?
What am I glad/proud I did today?

At the end, I had a good dozen cards that gave me some real (ok, as real as could be) objective feedback about thoughts, ideas, perceptions and attitudes. I was able to make some changes last summer, and I attribute some of them directly to this process.
 
Top