Captcha to deal with the spam?

GTDUser

Registered
I don't have any experience with this, but how about disabling posts that have been reported by X independent forum members? Even when considering trolls it should be less workload for forum moderators. This won't prevent sending spam per email, though.

davidcoforum

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have any experience with this, but how about disabling posts that have been reported by X independent forum members? Even when considering trolls it should be less workload for forum moderators. This won't prevent sending spam per email, though.
Yes, we do that too. Usually the spam is caught by our forum software's connection to the Stop Forum Spam site. All new users have their posts moderated until it's clear that they are here to discuss GTD. In addition, many new users each day are not accepted because they are already in the Stop Forum Spam database.

davidcoforum

Administrator
Staff member
For the posts that you reported today, where did you see them? They were held for moderation and should not have been visible. Perhaps there is a view that shows posts even before they are approved, and you can help us to modify that view so that it only shows approved posts.

TesTeq

Registered
For the posts that you reported today, where did you see them? They were held for moderation and should not have been visible. Perhaps there is a view that shows posts even before they are approved, and you can help us to modify that view so that it only shows approved posts.
I don't know what was visible for @GTDUser but yesterday I saw some spam in the "New posts" section of the forum. I've simply ignored these comments since reporting them as a spam required opening them.

davidcoforum

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know what was visible for @GTDUser but yesterday I saw some spam in the "New posts" section of the forum. I've simply ignored these comments since reporting them as a spam required opening them.
Thanks, TesTeq. We'll look at what that view includes. Those posts were in the awaiting moderation queue, so they should not have been visible. There was a XenForo patch we applied about two weeks ago, and it may have messed with the add-on that hides new user posts until they are moderated.